Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How long did it take yuo to get good?

trader56

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok, ok, I know "good" is a relative term, so let's just say good enough to jam with some basic rock/12 bar blues stuff, and actually think yuo were ok (maybe just barely, but ok)?

Like good enough to hold yuor own in a band that plays in, say, a biker bar-type dive?

"Classic" rock (good, that makes me sound old!), not Hendrix or other guitar good stuff?

Thanks for any answers to an admittedly-vague and imprecise question,

Dave

Hmm, I became "ok" at about two years. Now, I'd consider myself "good" with 2 1/2 years, and hopefully I'll become even better with some hard work.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=810593

http://www.myspace.com/dandelavega

are you good now?

Haven't tried today yet so I don't know. Ask me tomorrow.

What can this strange device be?

When I touch it, it gives forth a sound

It's got wires that vibrate, and give music

What can this thing be that I found?

Ok, ok, I know "good" is a relative term,

I never got good until a few years back. I could play a lot faster, but I could never play musically until I could play the stuff in such a way as to just grab sounds instead of thinking notes/scales. I been playing since 1964 and I played in bands in the 60's/70's era. But I never felt the music like I do now. I ain't trying to prove anything to anybody anymore, I am just singing with my instrument. Now I feel like I can play a little.

Personally, I can't really say. my band was playing HS dances when we were 14-15. For the times and audience, we were good. In HS, we were playing colleges and clubs. Yea, we were good but we also had been together since 8th grade. There was very little we couldn't play that was popular.

Working out parts for members with our keyboard player taught me a lot about music and made me a better guitar player. I also realized that the one guy in the band who HAD to be good was the rhythm player. With 2 guitars, he was the back bone, more so than the bass and drums.

I got "good" playing hard chord changes and finger picking. Lead came later along with slide.

Lead is flash but if that is all you have worked on and are 'good' at, you have a long way to be good. Look at 3 and 4 piece one guitar bands. The guitar player is usually great with rhythm and transition to lead and back again.

Depending on the audience, I have been good and great, to my contemporaries, if they call me good, I am doing my job.

When I practice or jam, I make it a point to learn at least one new lick, change, chord... I watch and listen and see what I can incorporate into my repertoire. Good? You can always be better. Attack it that way and you can be great. Even if you have to learn by rote, one day that lick will expand out of nowhere and you have broken through the wall.

Peace

Archived