Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Decent 49 note controller for a few busking nights needed

Gary75

Hi guys,

Can anyone recommend a 49 note controller apart from the M-Audio Axiom, to carry to a few buskers evenings in the area. It would be for a bit of piano chordal work and some string sounds etc. As I can't get hold of a square key fronted axiom in the uk, can anyone recommend a decent playing 49 note controller? I plan to sit it on top of my 2U rack module taking up very little space and time to set up. Or if anyone knows where i can locate an axiom 49 in the uk then let me know!

Thanks

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like my Axiom 49, too bad you can't find one.

When I was researching, I downloaded owners' manuals from many companies, and I found the M-Audio line to be the most user-friendly right out of the box.

For a non-complex setup like your busking gig, you might try the M-Audio Keystation 49 or KeyRig 49. But they're even more entry-level.

I think if you're into buying a 49-key board that will take you farther as a controller, Novation and Edirol in that order. Edirol has a nice action.

Here for the gear.

Means playing on the street in the hope that someone'll throw money in a cap? ;)

Seconding the Xboard, it's cheap, good action, and it's awfully compact. Outside of the computer studio you will need a wall-wart to power it.

Maybe it might be a little inconvenient to drag a generator to a street corner?

1) the O.P. wants to bring a MIDI controller and a 2U rack, so he's already past the 'convenient' point...

2) perhaps you should look at some of the generators available. We're not talking about powering a house here. Honda has a small generator that weights in at less than 30lb dry. No big deal on a small handcart.

Maybe it might be a little inconvenient to drag a generator to a street corner?

1) the O.P. wants to bring a MIDI controller and a 2U rack, so he's already past the 'convenient' point...

2) perhaps you should look at some of the generators available. We're not talking about powering a house here. Honda has a small generator that weights in at less than 30lb dry. No big deal on a small handcart.

30 lbs, you're right, it's light as a feather. What about a small coal-powered turbine? Shouldn't weigh more than 90 tons or so. Just GOOGLE for more power options, GOOGLE is your friend. :thu:

30 lbs, you're right, it's light as a feather. What about a small coal-powered turbine? Shouldn't weigh more than 90 tons or so. Just GOOGLE for more power options, GOOGLE is your friend. :thu:

Sigh... given that you seem to have a problem with either me or my posts, I'll do us both a favour and put you into my ignore list. Please continue to ignore the actual words I post, and draw erroneous conclusions and complete non sequiturs all you want. Maybe the other folks in this forum will enjoy them. :wave:

powering for a busking session is easy...if the gear is powered by a DC powerpac.

Simply make up a loom with appropriate connector for power imput and connect this to an external rechargable battery.

If it is 12volt then simply use one of those lightweight car jump starters...they will power gear for a longtime

If it is other than 12 volt or you want a more portable battery you can make up a hand held battery that can be rested literally on the keyboard..using sub c nicad batteries from radio control cars...each sub c is 1.2 volts...do the maths to make the size you need.

The old original cells were 1200 miliamps this being capable of running a keyboard like a casio for a lomg time as most keyboards will be lucky to need half that..of coarse modern sub cs are made of far more exotic materials and are up over 3500 milliamps..but i had dropped out of racing radio control cars by then and have stuck to nicads.

Carry a few charged batteries with you and change them when needed.Simply unplug and replug into external socket on the fly.

Being nicads they will power fully till the last second when they will dump..I found at that point the sound distorted at volume telling me its time to change battery pacs.

I ran a casio 76 note Wk 1500 boomchikka [12 volt recomended powerpac though internal batteries were 9 volt] on a 7.2 volt 1200 ma battery for around an hour at least.

Yes 7.2 volt ran it fine even at full volume .

The casio did have access for 6 x 1.5 volt cells internally a total of 9 volt but it is far easier and cheaper to use nicad battery pacs externally I was using for racing radio control cars anyway.In this way I diidnt have to make a special battery pac..and hey it ran it fine..

so if your gear is DC its simple and infact can be portable considering radio control car batteries fit in your hand and you only use one per full hours playing/per piece of gear.

Actual playing time might depend on the gears draw.

They can also be recharged from your cars battery or cig lighter on the way there or while you are playing.

Archived