Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What makes music "Dead Sexaay"?

Gruuve

I've been listening to a new (old) Dixie Dregs CD I picked up recently. One song in particular has a chord progression that really sticks out to me. I've cut and pasted a clip below (about 30 seconds of the song, hitting the main chord progression...this is "Good Intentions" off the Full Circle CD). The only words I can think of to describe this chord progression and the way it's played is "sexy". But, I'm not sure why I think that. It's a pretty simple chord progression...is it the chord progression itself (I'm not great at recognizing chord progressions by ear, but I think I hear some Maj3rd -> Sus4 movements in it), the rhythm with which the chord progression is played (12/8 rhythm, accenting the 2 of each measure), a combination of both (I think this is it, but still not sure why), or some other ethereal characteristic that I don't know how to put into words?

http://www.ipass.net/davesisk/music/tunes/TheDixieDregs_GoodIntentionsClip.mp3

Normally, I'd think of a song as "sexy" if it had flirty lyrics, but this song is instrumental. If it had a voice from one of the "sexier" instruments (like perhaps a saxophone, say) that could explain it, but this song doesn't have that. So, what is it about this tune that evokes that emotion? AND, is it just me, or do other folks also hear a sexy vibe to it?

Music is all about emotions, right? I'd really love to understand better my own emotional reaction (and other's emotional reactions) to a song.

This ought to be quite a fun and interesting thread! ;)

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As an old time Dixie Dregs fan, one who finds all of their tuneage awesome, I think what Dave is saying here is the light feel and the powerful progression is what he finds sexy.

I don't think this clip represents the best of Dregs muzak but I can see why he likes it.

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

I really think that "dead sexxxayyy" is generally being misapplied in this thread. It's kind of like in Highlander...There can be only one...and that's CMDN.

Sorry. Sometimes the truth needs to be spoken.

Peace.

--Dub $$

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

I really think that "dead sexxxayyy" is generally being misapplied in this thread. It's kind of like in Highlander...There can be only one...and that's CMDN.

Sorry. Sometimes the truth needs to be spoken.

Peace.

--Dub $$

I knew someone would pop up and say "But Eric didn't play this, did he?" :cool:

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

It's a pretty simple chord progression...is it the chord progression itself (I'm not great at recognizing chord progressions by ear, but I think I hear some Maj3rd -> Sus4 movements in it), the rhythm with which the chord progression is played (12/8 rhythm, accenting the 2 of each measure), a combination of both (I think this is it, but still not sure why), or some other ethereal characteristic that I don't know how to put into words?

Forget all that chord progression stuff. It's the drums, man.

Um, yeah. OK...

cblinkdude182, please go buy some Dregs albums. Either Freefall or What If or Night Of The Living Dregs. (Full Circle is not my favorite.)

That clip is a little Toto-y. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Sexiest Dreg's song? The Long Slow Distance.

one man's opinion

My whole trick is to keep the tune well out in front. If I play Tchaikovsky, I play his melodies and skip his spiritual struggle. ~Liberace

Sounds like Jeff Beck with Jan Hammer. I like the way the guitar jumps in the last few notes of the change.

I think dead sexxxaaay is different for everyone. Dead sexxxaaay is in the eye or ear of the beholder or belistener.

To me those changes sounded more triumphant and joyful than sexy, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

Actually, I too need to pick up some more DD music...I have "Industry Standard" on LP from probably 20 years ago, but I don't have a way to play it :mad: (it'd probably sound like crap anyway...I don't think I've even heard an LP played in over a decade!) I can definitely say Rod Morganstein was a big influence on my drumming when I was a kid learning to play...that record saw some play time. Most of the songs on Full Circle are in 12/8, which is a bit odd for a rock-oriented CD.

Interesting comments. I guess what I envision when I hear that particular section is grabbing a hot lady and doing some arm-in-arm body-to-body hip-swayin' dancing...I guess that's why I think it's a sexy groove. It's pretty interesting to read other's "emotional responses" to it though.

With that in mind, do you think in general that an emotional response to any particular musical passage is something that is tied to each individual's personal experiences? I'd imagine the answer to that is "yes".

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Yeah, I don't find it terribly sexy either but I think the relaxed behind the beat feel definitely helps to make the tune a bit more sensual. Relaxed, laid back people tend to be more sensual (and sometimes even sexy) than precise, efficient people.

The uncluttered, upfront nature of the bassline helps too.

EDIT: About the flirty lyrics... there's a diff between songs that are sexy, and songs that are about sex.

Donna Summer "I feel love".

I think that would be the nearest thing I know to sounding sexy. It is the combination of the lyrics and the pounding rhythm.

I don't normally associate sex and music.

Is this where I'm going wrong Dave?

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

Perhaps I'm simple, but a slow, steady, heavy, and driving drum beat does it for me. Like "Kashmir" or "Bolero".

I'm a caveman...

My whole trick is to keep the tune well out in front. If I play Tchaikovsky, I play his melodies and skip his spiritual struggle. ~Liberace

I think Dave is catching the 'space' between notes. Being that in turn brings the sexy. IMO

The first song that popped into my head before listening to the clip was Hoochie coochie man. Its got that slow grinding solid drum beat with the.. [: Ba DA da DA DDddduuuuummmmmmm :] I can see the woman throwing her hair around giving you that "You want me but I don't want you" look... *sigh* I get that allot :(

Songs that give me that impression;

The Jack-AC/DC

Reflex- Duran Duran

Stranglehold- the Nouge`

The Zoo- Scorpions

I don't like the Drugs-Marilyn Manson

I think it is the slow driving beat that gives me that feeling or as the Victoria Secret ads ask... "What is Sexy"

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/39521/victorias_secret/

any song with pictures can 'bring sexy back' eeww.. I just said that.

Okay.. here is am EXAMPLE of what I an talking about.. The rhythm and beat placement. I'm not a fan of the 'song' per se but I dig the riff.

Don't have a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. ~ Johnny Carson

I don't normally associate sex and music.

Is this where I'm going wrong Dave?

Davo

Heh...I wouldn't necessarily call that "going wrong", Davo. As we already knew, music (particularly individual songs) means a lot of different things to a lot of different people!

Dave

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Brocko777, I didn't think either of those clips where particularly sexy with out the video. I watched first, for research obivously ;), then minimised the screen and just listened. To be honest both tunes where fairly generic sounding.

Dave, I to think it is the spaces that are creating the feel of excitement in this section of the song.

As for my opinion on sexy in music terms the intro to "Son of a Preacher Man" even before a lyric is sang that bass part has such a groove. "Feel Like Making Love" - Bad Company, "Take Me With You" & "little Red Corvette" - Prince are songs with a sexy kind of groove.

Edited for poor grammar.

When it comes to sexy it's all about the groove and energy for me. Seamy is spot on with the Prince reference - the man knows how to throw a sexy groove.

I recently saw a Kelly Clarkson performance and that is a different kind of sexy. The girl is cute and can really sing too. Hmmm . . . Basswood.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Dead Sexaay: Seal. That's sexaay music. How is it done? Dunno. But for sure, those Seal discs in my collection were money well spent. Barry White for the new age.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

It's a pretty simple chord progression...is it the chord progression itself (I'm not great at recognizing chord progressions by ear, but I think I hear some Maj3rd -> Sus4 movements in it)

I'm at work and I'm guessing I hear: Bb Cm | Cm/G Bb/D | Bb Cm | F/A Fsus4/Bb F/A | (at least the first time)

[My pitch is probably off: I ii | ii I | I ii | V Vsus4 V | ]

So yeah, I hear the major 3rd to suspended 4th thing, too. Although I can't quite hear the end of the phrase and it could be the guitar is just sounding two-note "chords" with A and F (a kind of inverted F major without the 5th) and Bb and F, which could be interpreted as Fsus4 although it looks an awful lot like a Bb5 power chord (I instead of Vsus4).

The ii can be seen as a substitution for a IV, so it's like they're playing: I IV | IV I | I IV | V I V | That is, a simple I-IV-V.

Probably what you're hearing in the harmony (chord progression) is the rocking back and forth motion caused by I to ii, then ii back to I, etc.

the rhythm with which the chord progression is played (12/8 rhythm, accenting the 2 of each measure)

I'll agree with everyone else that the space really sets up the rhythm. It's not just the 2, but the offbeat 3rd trip of 2 that gets sustained. This kind of sets up a motion that leans a little; it's a little "off balance". (It's not quite syncopated but it has that feel.) If the 2nd chord of every measure were played "straight" on the 3 you'd lose this effect. To keep things from getting stale the last measure of the phrase adds a pickup from the 3rd trip of 1. [sorry, I'm still hearing it as 4/4, either trips or swung 8ths, although I'm sure it makes more sense to call it 12/8 from the drummer's throne.]

a combination of both (I think this is it, but still not sure why)

Combining the rocking with the off balance and you've got a hip-swayer. But it's a slowish tempo, allowing the swaying to grind, and with all that space it's more of a tease. So I think it is a combination of harmony and rhythm that gives this instrumental a "sexy" feel.

In order to understand it you have to realize how the human body would move to it. How would you dance to it? IMO women in general are better dancers then men. Guys would probably just do step-together ad infinitum all night long ;) , but women might pick up on how the music is directing their body to move. To put it a little more bluntly, I think a woman dancing to this could feel sexy, and a man that sees her would think she's sexy.

And yes, a sultry sax lead would be much sexier than the guitar noodling.

I listened.

No offense, but, from what I heard... this is not dead sexxay. To be honest, I'm not hearing sex of any kind here, at least not sex that involves more than one person.

But that's just me... I feel like this tune is a little too... clean to be sexy in my world. The musician-oriented nature of the song takes away from the smoothness and grooviness that I'd consider sexy... the musician in me would constantly hear the jaggedy technical bits... and sexiness generally doesn't like jaggedy stuff anywhere near it.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Sorry, but I'm going to have to be a little harsh and say "ye gods, that is SO unsexy it is ridiculous!" It's like hearing the band that cut the theme music for late '80s morning TV let loose on a jam but realise they've forgetten how to decheese. If that song had hair it would be a mullet.

Maybe it's clichéd but Isaac Hayes really knows how to write sexxaay music, the soundtrack to Shaft being a prime example. Prince likewise - Head? Ohio Players - Love Rollercoaster; Sly & The Family Stone - I Get High On You; Barry White (of course) - Never, Never Gonna Give Ya Up...

Of course, variety is the spice of life and if we all found the same things sexy the world would be an even more vanilla and conflict ridden place than it currently is.

Alex

Of course, variety is the spice of life and if we all found the same things sexy the world would be an even more vanilla and conflict ridden place than it currently is.

Alex

Absolute agreed.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

I listened.

No offense, but, from what I heard... this is not dead sexxay. To be honest, I'm not hearing sex of any kind here, at least not sex that involves more than one person.

But that's just me... I feel like this tune is a little too... clean to be sexy in my world. The musician-oriented nature of the song takes away from the smoothness and grooviness that I'd consider sexy... the musician in me would constantly hear the jaggedy technical bits... and sexiness generally doesn't like jaggedy stuff anywhere near it.

Word.

Can't post my comment here. Its a family forum.

I'm going to put a +6 on not sexy. Maybe Dead. It is just not my cup of anything.

But now I know a little better what makes you tick.

Thanks for sharing.

Jonathan

Archived