Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Film Scoring with Stewart Copland

cnegrad

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Interesting insight into a different world. I am not sure I could even imagine what it takes to perform on that stage.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

Riveting article. I happened to see the movie & it was great. I see the Stuart Copeland name show up everywhere, but I can't name a score for the life of me.

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

Some of the more well known: Wall Street, Rumble Fish, Talk Radio. However, he is listed as the composer for 66 feature films on imdb.com. None of them are exactly known for their stellar soundtracks, or even for being exeptional movies (except the above IMHO.)

He's done a fair amount of work. IMDB has this listing, including Wall Street and Highlander II.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0004841/

The article mirrors many stories that I've heard about film scoring over the years - two or more creative forces at work, trying to do what they think is right, but having to comprimise. I'm currently scoring something (short animated film), and it amazes me how difficult it can be... Not just the timings, but you have to disassociate yourself with the music on one level, but still be tied to it on a different level.

I'll have to find a copy of Riding the Bus and listen closely. :)

I had the pleasure of scoring a student film once (NYU Film student). It was as fun as it was a pain in the butt. It's wierd when you sit a "director" down to listen to your cues and he's not hearing what you are. In my opinion, the film was NOT good, but the music helped it suck a little less.

Archived