Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Trying To Get a Sound

Brocko777

Okay.. so I walk over here from the Bass Forum to ask a question.. I used the search to my crappiest ability with no luck.

The group I am in is covering "Who Are You" and we don't have a keyboard player. (yes, this is a smart move made by all!)

Can you give me an idea of how that sound is created? 2 step phaser, square wave pizza bowl? I wanna try to pull a 'somewhat' similar sound out of my GT-6B to as least add a little to the tune.

Thanks, and a beer (Guinness) and donut (powdered) to the first helpful response! (I am guessing 3-4 smart-arse comments which I expect :) )

Peace, Brocko

Don't have a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. ~ Johnny Carson

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There have been at least a few threads covering this in the past (one started by me even), but they didn't come up in the search - wierd!!

Anyway, as I recall, it was a distorted guitar, run through the input of an ARP2600 synth and processed by the filters and LFO. I'm sure others could be more specific.

yeah, just searched for it now. the search function on this forum really sucks since the makeover a few months back. Is anyone doing anything about this?

Drew

"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face"

-Mike Tyson

As far as I know, it's basically like what Abeck said. Pete took a guitar track that he recorded using an EBow, then fed it through an ARP2600 using a patch that he constructed. As for how to reconstruct that sound by other means, my guess is as good as yours. If you can at least come up with something close, your audience will get the point. It's sort of a background thing anyway.

....so I walk over here from the Bass Forum.....
You must play walking bass lines! There's your smart-ass comment!

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

AAAallll-righty then.... thanks. I will get something to work along that line. This'll at least get me on the right path..er. patch. Okay.

I'll leave now.

Brocko

Don't have a job you don't enjoy. If you're happy in what you're doing, you'll like yourself, you'll have inner peace. ~ Johnny Carson

When I previously researched this sound, it was for a project I was working on that was supposed to sound like the song, but slightly different (CSI themed video). I was able to get as close as I needed with careful programming of an Arturia Minimoog and DP plugins. The devil is in getting the right settings for the LFO, filter cutoff and resonance. Also beat based panning is helpful. I used a distorted pre-amp to get close to Pete's guitar sound, then controlled the cutoff and resonance with my mod wheel.

Archived