Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Informal Drop In OT Thread

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Back in London yesterday from LA and it's so cold. The heat's been on full-blast for 24 hours. I have a jet-lagged jazz gig tonight - luckily I remembered Dave Brown's excellent advice about hand-warming/relaxation (hot water and massage).

Haven't played bass is two weeks and it feels good! Determined to relax and let the music play me tonight rather than vice versa - reading Victor 's book for the 2nd time was pretty inspiring - also read a lot of books over Christmas.

Watching Rocket Science on DVD (good stuff) and practising.

Happy New Year Geoff!

It was wonderful. There were some problems with the mic lead but they were a tolerant crowd. I was surprised that I wasn't much affected by the jetlag and lack of sleep - maybe a couple of small errors and one slightly manic solo and the 4 hours were a blast.

I found that not playing for 2 weeks actually helped my playing. It felt fresh.

The crowd appreciated the subtler jazz stuff earlier on - got to play some walking stuff and by 1:45 had transformed into dance-crazy party people and had to lay down the funk. It was a blast!

I love ebay. I'm putting together a new PA rack and it looks like I'm gonna make it for less than $250 US.

I got the 6 space rack itself at a yardsale for 20, stole a 1400w power amp for 100, dual 15 band EQ for 40, power conditioner for 30 and hold high bid for a signal processor that I should get for 50. Sure, everything is used but I don't think it will sound that way.

The secret to good ebaying is patience. I bid (and was outbid) on 23 power amps before I won that jewel. Sometimes folks are just sleeping I guess.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Sometimes folks are just sleeping I guess.

I do that from time to time.

Do it while you're young - when you get to be my age it's elusive as hell.

OK, so I know. No political stuff. But even though my car wouldn't start this morning after my voice lesson, it was a pretty good day. Except for Aretha's hat. Did you get a load of Aretha's hat? I mean, holy crap. That's a big damn hat. Even the L.A. Times said it was a big damn hat.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/alltherage/2009/01/inaugural-hat-t.html

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

I felt bad for Aretha. She kinda sucked.

She is very picky about where she sings and when and I doubt 10 degrees was her idea of optimum conditions.

I felt bad for her hat too.

Bloody hell. It's been raining for 2 days straight. Wretched Men has a 7 to midnight slot at the studio an hour away and all I have to haul my gear is my truck. The drummer says "Just put a tarp over your stuff" - right. Ugh.