Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Public performance

TaurusT

Okay, we all have about the same rules in most countries when it comes to performing existing songs live, paying royalties or else. But now there's Youtube. And I've seen a lot of videos of keyboardists/pianists covering existing songs.

Where do you think this is going?

I pray it aint the worst.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
YouTube asks you not to upload copyrighted material, and yes they have been contacted by several groups concerning royalties for copyrighted content according to some recent news reports. The details are still to be worked out. Like all internet advances it just took a while for legalities to catch up.

Just other day, YouTube was asked to remove about 100,000 videos due to copyright infringement. Record companies are still fighting the inevitable.

Like video games and DVDs, folks will continue to buy music. The companies will make money. They just need to find a better way of taking advantage of the technology versus litigation. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Here where I live, it's up to the bar/restaurant/club owners (and not the musicians) to pay the fees when they hire bands playing covers or well-known songs from others (like tribute bands). So I guess it should be the same about YouTube : the Web site owners, which probably make more money than many of us (?), should pay the royalties.

Of course, I'm referring to people playing music live at the camera, not illegal things like uploaded videos and excerpts of movies and so on, which IMO should not be authorized.

I can understand the action being taking when uploading a copyrighted video, but when a piano-student is proud he learned himself a new song (let's say some Elthon John cover), records himself playing it with his webcam and posts it on youtube (usually full with mistakes) so he can share it with his friends, one tend to look a bit different at such things.

It's all about being practical. Few musicians find themselves in any hot water over playing cover materials simply because few lawyers will take the case. Most bar musicians (and frankly, damn few of the bars they play at!) have anything worth going after! You can't get blood out of a turnip no matter how many times you cut or stab it!
The SpaceNorman :freak:

Archived