Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

BFG LP

Guitarzan

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First, I think it's a cool looking guitar but more importantly, it's the first LP I've seen already setup as I'd like it, with a neck P-90 and a Burstbucker in the bridge. I'm sure I can't afford it now, but I'm gonna try to get one soon if it's comfortable to play. :thu:

Originally posted by BATarzan:

...as for the kill switch, it would be useful for some people.

the first thing i would do is move the "knob" from the kill switch to the selector.

allowing free arm movement without fear of hitting the kill switch by accident...

That's how it's wired already. According to the website the kill switch is in the selector spot with the actual selector toggle in place of the missing pot. ;)

BTW - According to their search function, the BFG web pages were last modified on 10/27/06. As I didn't see them last week when I was searching through LP listings for 490R/498T p'up combations on various models I'd say it was just announced. Couldn't find an actual announcement though.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

no Neil, you missunderstood me.

the selector switch has no plastic knob on the switch, and the kill switch does, so i would unscrew the knob from the kill switch and screw it on the selector back by the controls.

then there would be less chance of hitting the Kill switch with only the metal threaded stump sticking up.

<

then there would be less chance of hitting the Kill switch with only the metal threaded stump sticking up.>>

And this is, what, a desirable "feature"? They intend to sell it with a knob missing? Man, do I feel old!

Thanks, but no thanks. Obviously I'm not trendy enough.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

it is only a little detail that i wouldn't fret over.

i like the basic design.

i would pickup a truss rod cover and extra knob and gold colored top hat knobs and sand the top and rub a little nitro on there and TADA! ....

i like it and it is apparently cheap enough for dudes like me.

I think the BFG is is butt ugly.. What is gibson gonna do next just slap strings on a tree and call it "the most raw, primitive guitar Gibson has ever built"?

I think it is just marketing for taking 5 less steps out of the building process and charging full price.

If it is well under a grand I can see buying it and refinning it yourself for a neat guitar, but usually with gibson they charge a premium price for unfinished crap like this. This is an uninished, unbound, no fret markers LP deluxe and I would bet it is the same price or more.

If it is really cheap I take all this stuff back but I doubt it is.

After much deliberation, I have decided I like this guitar. The only change I would make is including a mounting ring for the Burstbucker. I don't like the idea of accidentally slicing into one of the pick-up coils and destroying the thing. I wouldn't mind seeing a truss-rod cover, but that is more about aesthetics.

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Originally posted by Guitarzan:

no Neil, you missunderstood me.

the selector switch has no plastic knob on the switch, and the kill switch does, so i would unscrew the knob from the kill switch and screw it on the selector back by the controls.

then there would be less chance of hitting the Kill switch with only the metal threaded stump sticking up.

I see... But I think you misunderstand Gibson. The switch in the normal p'up selector position (the kill switch) is a normal Gibson toggle. The actual p'up selector on these guitars is a mini-toggle. It's not missing the cap if there web page can be trusted. ;)

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

in the specs it mentions the selector is a 3 way switch without the "knob".

ELECTRONICS

Neck Pickups: P-90

Bridge Pickups: Burstbucker 3 Zebra Humbucker

Controls: Two volume, one tone, pickup select toggle (no washer or knob), kill switch toggle (no washer)

Ah ha, ya know, i read an article with Tom Morello saying that he utilizes the same type if idea but turns the volume on the pickup hes not using off and switches between that and his active pickup.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=810593

http://www.myspace.com/dandelavega

Originally posted by Guitarzan:

in the specs it mentions the selector is a 3 way switch without the "knob".

ELECTRONICS

Neck Pickups: P-90

Bridge Pickups: Burstbucker 3 Zebra Humbucker

Controls: Two volume, one tone, pickup select toggle (no washer or knob), kill switch toggle (no washer)

I see. They call it a "mini-toggle" in the sidebar text.

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Hey boys! I was unable to get through to Gibson Customer Support (new phone system isn't switching over for after hours support. :rolleyes: ) so I held for a while to ask another dept. to connect me with one of my buddies up there. I was on hold to where he was most certainly gone, but the dealer staffer I spoke to was kind enough to answer some questions.

First, MSRP is very reasonable. Despite his supplying the info I get the feeling it isn't set in stone, so I won't post it here. PM me if you're interested.

I asked when it would be available at the Gibson Showcase or GC here in Nashville. He said it depends (of course) on the merchandisers as to if and how many they order, but it should hit the street around Christmas time. Sounds like a bit of a wait but when you think about it, that's barely 6 1/2 weeks away to the holiday. :thu:

He said he'd laid hands on the instrument but hadn't the opportunity to plug it in yet.

I don't remember seeing this listed, but he mentioned it's chambered! Cool!

I, for one, can't wait! :thu:

Five..

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

Hey boys! I was unable to get through to Gibson Customer Support (new phone system isn't switching over for after hours support. :rolleyes: ) so I held for a while to ask another dept. to connect me with one of my buddies up there. I was on hold to where he was most certainly gone, but the dealer staffer I spoke to was kind enough to answer some questions.

First, MSRP is very reasonable. Despite his supplying the info I get the feeling it isn't set in stone, so I won't post it here. PM me if you're interested.

I asked when it would be available at the Gibson Showcase or GC here in Nashville. He said it depends (of course) on the merchandisers as to if and how many they order, but it should hit the street around Christmas time. Sounds like a bit of a wait but when you think about it, that's barely 6 1/2 weeks away to the holiday. :thu:

He said he'd laid hands on the instrument but hadn't the opportunity to plug it in yet.

I don't remember seeing this listed, but he mentioned it's chambered! Cool!

I, for one, can't wait! :thu:

Five..

cool Neil. it really sounds good now.

in spite of the "naysayers" :D I continue to think that this axe looks cool. It has a unique appearance, yet is still a genuine Gibby LP. And the combination of the P-90 and the hot humbucker is a good idea. I love the tone of a neck P-90, and a bridge humbucker.....both are amoungst my favorite guitar tones. This axe combines them in one package.

It's one bad$ss ugly duckling.....

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

Archived