Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

are all speakers cabinets about the same?

samuelson

Myles, I recently bought a Maz-38 senior and I'm now looking to buy an extension cabinet. the Z-best cabinet at Wild West Guitars sounded so nice when I connected it. looking on the internet I found avatar cabinets which seems like a deal too good to be true. I realize you get what you pay for, but would there be that much of a difference in getting the same speakers in their $299 cabinet as opposed to Dr. Z's $750 cabinet? for a guy that plays occasionally in a garage band for fun or at home with friends every once-in-a-while? I just bought Dave Hunters "the guitar amp handbook" and it mentions the Z best cabinet so now I'm thinking I should shell out the extra bucks. Your opinion would be greatly appreciated. (And nice web site -- I've spent hours looking at all the stuff.)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"... for a guy that plays occasionally in a garage band for fun or at home with friends every once-in-a-while? ..."

This guy doesn't need an extension cabinet. The two speakers in the amp will make plenty of noise.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

All speaker cabs are about the same insomuch as they are cuboid, as Red wines are about the same, insomuch as they are all red, Grasshopper.

Geoff

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Originally posted by Starcaster:

I don't think that's what he's asking.

Okay,

No, not all speaker cabinets are anywhere near alike. The highly rated THD cabinet sounds much different than other 2x12 cabs that I have owned, though it contains standard speakers that anyone can buy anywhere for very little money.

The Avatars are well repsected in the budget cabinet range and lets face it, for what you get, they are darned cheap.

Personal point of view? if you had just bought a top of the line DVD player, would you send the output through your old 19 inch black and white TV? Well, maybe you already have that old black and white set, so you use it. But if you didn't have the old black and white set, and you had just got the great DVD player, would you then go out and buy a new 19 inch black and white TV set? Just a thought.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Dr. Z Maz-38 Sr.? Seems like an obvious no-brainer to me, pair it with the Dr. Z "Z Best" cab, if you've gotta have an extemnsion cab with it.

By the way, why do you need an extension cab with it?

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Samuelson,

Welcome to the forum!

Yes, different cabs with the same speakers can really sound different. The sound is vastly influenced by the materials used (plywood, plywood grade, real wood, type of wood, particle board, etc.) and the method and quality of assembly and joint work.

If you have a chance to audition the different cabs then you can pick the one that really fits your tonal (and $) ideal. Otherwise try and read as much as possible about the different brands.

Good luck!

P.S. If you really want an answer from Myles himself, you should post on the Ask Myles! thread toward the top of the page. This would ensure that he sees your post.

Yep for instance, I had a couple of VOT type cabinets allot of years ago. One was constructed using birch Timblend core ply and one was White pine. One had finger joints and one had 90 degree corner construction with corner blocks. Both cabinets where loaded with 2X15 inch EV SRO's. The tonal difference was HUGE! Same interior volume, same exact baffeling and they where like two completely different cabinets. I used one with a Bassman head and one with a Marshall head and when I switched heads they reacted in very different ways.

Some guys have money to burn and like to buy high end. I work with a guy like that. He plays poorly at best, it is just an interest for him, but he has a 40th Anniversary Strat and a Line 6 Vetta. He also just bought a Martin acoustic. I am envious as I can't afford to spend this kind of money. Nevertheless it made him happy to go get this stuff and it wasn't to gloat. He can afford it and he likes nice stuff and American made where possible.

The question Samuelson asked is excactly the kind of question my friend would have asked, and I would have perhaps (politely) steered him towards the less expensive and he would probably have bought the more expensive.

Originally posted by FumbleFingers:

The question Samuelson asked is excactly the kind of question my friend would have asked, and I would have perhaps (politely) steered him towards the less expensive and he would probably have bought the more expensive.

Would you not have questioned his reasons for wanting the extension cabinet? I understand the kind of guy your describe... my nextdoor neighbor is that guy, too. And he follows a dictum that I happen to prefer... if you don't know what you are doing, ask an expert, then follow that advice. AND: Buy once, buy good. I'm all over those precepts.

But from the described use, I'd advise him to save his money and not buy anything. Appears to be an un-needed expense, with no value for the purchaser.

Bill

Steve Martin

Keep in mind that the Dr. Z cab is purchased at retail through a distributor while the Avatar is purchased direct from the manufacturer. So that explains the bulk of the price discrepancy - there's no retail markup on the Avatar.
"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Originally posted by Gabriel E.:

Keep in mind that the Dr. Z cab is purchased at retail through a distributor while the Avatar is purchased direct from the manufacturer. So that explains the bulk of the price discrepancy - there's no retail markup on the Avatar.

This idea also brings Carvin to mind - great quality, no middle man price hike! :thu:
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Originally posted by samuelson:

(...) the Z-best cabinet at Wild West Guitars sounded so nice when I connected it. (...)

Bill, I agree with you that Samuelson might not need an extension cabinet at all.

However, his statement regarding the sound of the Z-Best cab explains where his GAS case comes from (provided he tried that extension cabinet with his own gear (or similar). If you play with gear that gives you a better tone than what you're used to, it's normal to want to purchase it.

We might need more info from Samuelson at this point.

Originally posted by Bill@Welcome Home Studios:

"... for a guy that plays occasionally in a garage band for fun or at home with friends every once-in-a-while? ..."

This guy doesn't need an extension cabinet. The two speakers in the amp will make plenty of noise.

Bill

Shit, if I only bought what I "needed" I wouldn't have 1/4 of the gear I have now. I'm betting most of us are like this.

Submit to the temptation. . .

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

I'm for letting him buy whatever he wants. Good for everyone yeah? Down the road he may realize he does not really need something and someone will end up getting a good deal on some used gear. Meantime, he's gonna need a brand new big-assed SUV to get all this gear around to his buddies garage for jam.Go Samuelson! Spread that cash around, brother.

Wow !! ;) Went to my sons Volleyball tournament and came back to all this. Great. Well, I suppose I do have the money to burn. Owned my own business for twenty years now. have a 62 strat, les paul, tele, gretsch and about 25 other guitars, digital drums, keyboards, etc. Jack of all trades, master of none. play Tacoma acoustics through my AS100D Marshall in the church band. And I have the Sequioa SUV to cart it around in. Work hard, play hard.

But I was interested in a cabinet because when I hooked up the Maz-38 to the Z-best, it sounded even better than it did by itself. I have a Vox 2x12 cabinet with my Valvetronix AD120 that I use and a cabinet with my Traynor YCV40wr that has a vintage 30 in it. I've hooked both up to the Z and they sound slightly different. I have chronic GAS that no drug can cure, but it beats getting into boats or cars or jewelry. I have room in the house for all this stuff (although I'm running out fast). I was just looking for input on extension cabinets and the differences. I'll just wait and get the Z-best cabinet since I seem to be hearing that it does make THAT much of a difference. thanks to everyone, and hopefully everyone can buy all the gear they want and need. And all red wine tastes the same to me too. :thu:

And all red wine tastes the same to me too. :thu:

Aaaaahhhhhhhhhh, Grasshopper!!!

(Shakes head sagely).

Geoff

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Originally posted by FumbleFingers:

I'm for letting him buy whatever he wants. Good for everyone yeah? Down the road he may realize he does not really need something and someone will end up getting a good deal on some used gear. Meantime, he's gonna need a brand new big-assed SUV to get all this gear around to his buddies garage for jam.Go Samuelson! Spread that cash around, brother.

Hummm, need a good deal in a quality SUV!!! I can help ya there :evil::D

...and a cabinet with my Traynor YCV40wr that has a vintage 30 in it.

So you bought the Traynor 112 extension cab with your YCV40WR, too. :)

I have the same amp, also with the 112 extension cab! :thu:

How do you find the Celestion Vintage 30 speakers in the open-back combo and in the extension cab?

While the amp is capable of some really nice tones with either channel...I just couldn't get comfortable with the Treble...almost annoying at louder volumes, unless you dialed the Treble just about completely out...and then of course, you lost the tone.

So for awhile now...the open-back of the combo was VERY hard in the upper-mids/highsso I've been using just the closed-back extension cab...which is a bit more chunkier and a touch mellower...though it's still very easy to get it too bright...almost metallic in the upper-mids/highs.

I don't want to switch out speakers just yet, 'cuz I'm thinking they still need to be broken in (I don't play at very loud levels in my studio)...

...so right now I'm using the YCV40WR amp with a 15" speaker in Cerwin Vega 3-way reflex cab....but with the horn and tweeters disconnected...and now the tone I get is just about right...where I can really crank the Treble on the amp...and it stays creamy...not hard/piercing.

Is loud volume and playing time the only thing that will loosen up tight speaker???

Sorry to segue you thread...bit I was just wondering how you liked the Traynor amp/cabs...?

Oh...I too am looking for a nice 212 unloaded cab...so I can drop a pair of vintage Hammond speakers from a Hammond L-100 organ. Actually, I have two extra pairs....so I may go for a couple of unloaded 212 cabs...and then use one for a guitar cab...and the other for my L-100 organ, since it's hard to mic the organ speakers as they are underneath, and while you play the organ, your legs and bench are in the way of the mic.

With another 212 cab...I can put it anywhere to mic up the organand Ill just disconnect the two that are in the organ, and leave them there for future spares

Oooops...there I go segue-ing again! :D

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Originally posted by Bluesape:

Originally posted by Gabriel E.:

This idea also brings Carvin to mind - great quality, no middle man price hike! :thu:
I agree Reif. Carvin's cabs are a great buy. Right now I'm in the upgrade mode and trying hard to decide between Carvin (realistic pricing) and Genz Benz (not so realistic pricing but wow). Carvin is just good stuff. Surprising in fact.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

today I went out and bought the z-best cabinet from wild west guitars. no I don't need the cabinet. But it makes the Maz-38 1x12 amp I have sound even better, with a better low end and overall fullness that a 1x12 can't bring to the table. I suppose when I play in the garage band it will fit in my Sequioa SUV just right when I head over there. It's hard to put into words how great the Maz38 sounds with the extension cabinet. thanks to everyone that sent a message about whether I should get the z-best or an avatar cabinet. And those so concerned whether I needed it or not. Buy the gear you want, not the gear you need. Work hard, play hard. and practice alot. :cool:

Archived