Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Crazy Complements, has it happened to you?

Dr. Ellwood

I'm sure it has to everybody! Last Friday night we finished a set with Rock and Roll Hoochie Koo by Johnny Winter, it is an extended version with a great bass solo by Jim. When we went out on break right after a couple of guys walked up to me and said "man that was great, I liked what you did on it better than by Winter" I said thanks but that is impossiable and said he better go listen again! besides I said hay I didn't write it though! and don't forget I don't sing it either! Well Johnny Winter is one of my all time favorite top three guitar players of ALL time! A complement yes, but thats nuts!!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, ya hear some Deusies from enthusiastic, well-meaning, appreciative folks, especially the average non-player.

It's great when people dig your playing, ain't it? Although the best compliments are often the simplest, or even nothing more than someone paying attention while you play, smiling and nodding to the music, or just dancing away...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

The best thing to do is just thank them appreciatively. Ask Miss Maners.

I'm cool with that, but I really didn't handle it well when someone caught me on an audio trade show floor and recognised me as a writer. I was pretty much struck dumb and stupid at the same time, and had no idea what to say or how to handle it. It is one thing to be complimented on your playing.... that is doing something. It is another to be complimented on stuff that you write for publication. That just feels wrong. It still feels wrong, but at least I don't make an ass out of myself when confronted by a well-wisher anymore.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

I had a little different thing once. I did a gig for a week with a Top 40 band, led by two Jamaican dudes, at Chanute Air Force Base in Rantoul, Illinois.

At some point some way over the limit enlisted dude came up to me and said...

" Hey! Do y'all play any Willie!? "

"No we don't, sorry" I said.

" Well do y'all do any Freebird!?"

" None of that either, I'm afraid"

To which he pulled his face into this awesome drunk grimace and said..

" Well what the hell do y'all do?"

My mind was racing for something to please this guy with other than the sight of our pretty hot female vocalist in a leotard and cowboy boots.

How 'bout this I said as I ripped into the intro of "Cocaine". The war whoops seemed to last forever and all was good from then on. The fans are just awesome aren't they?

Rick Clark (the late Gene Clark's brother and his compadre through some of the Byrds stuff) once told our harmony gal that she could sing better harmony than David Crosby. He was a bit drunk at the time (our band played at the Clark family patriarch's wake), but I'm quite sure he meant it. Cyndi did give good backing vox.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by FumbleFingers:

How 'bout this I said as I ripped into the intro of "Cocaine". The war whoops seemed to last forever and all was good from then on. The fans are just awesome aren't they?

Ahh...the songs that just won't die... :freak:

It's easy to play down something that you do well...to feel uncomfortable with what you feel might be undue praise. Try and lose that uncomfortable feeling. More for the fans sake than for your own. If you try and minimize YOUR importance what you are also doing is minimizing THEIR opinion at the same time!

I'm no big time musician...but I have worked very hard at my craft and try to show pride in it. It's hard for me to accept praise when there are guys like BB King and Les Paul and Dave Gilmour and Steve Morse and....(I could go on all day.) Just think of it this way. I'd bet most of the guys I just mentioned feel the same way.

So just do what Bill@WHS said. 'Cause in the end it's really not YOUR music. It really belongs to everybody. Let them do what they want with it.

Yea your right! but it catches ya by suprise, mostly because I don't compare my playing with the people I do covers of! I just try to get as close to it as possiable,so it's unexpected. I mean lots of people say they like a certain song, but when you get singled out it seems different. My guys said that on and off they get the same things happen to them, it's a nice thing. NOW in Bill's case I see that situation a little differently Bill, you are getting recognition for YOUR WORK..that you created not copied someone else!

Originally posted by SlyFoxx:

More for the fans sake than for your own. If you try and minimize YOUR importance what you are also doing is minimizing THEIR opinion at the same time!

... 'Cause in the end it's really not YOUR music. It really belongs to everybody. Let them do what they want with it.

Yeah, just to follow up... if you say something like, "Thanks, we do our best. Are you a big NNN Fan? Yeah, me too. What did you think about the NNNNNN album/show/video/whatever...." You've then moved the conversation to the artist, showed your appreciation for the compliment, and tossed the ball back into their court. Anything like that works.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

In a similar vein, you you know what strikes me really funny (and this is well-meaning friends too)...

This is more when I play acoustic, and when I play/record my own material, my own songs.

People think they are giving you a nice compliment when they say "you know...you sound JUST LIKE..." and then name one or two known musicians.

The weird thing is, they mean it as a compliment. I know my friend does. If I reply "really, I thought I just sounded like me" then it's backtracking "well...no...yeah..I mean not JUST like him, just kinda like"

Which I've tried really patiently to explain, I don't care and it is not a compliment. "As good as" would be okay. Mainly, I don't need compliments or comments, but if I get them would like them to be more of the "I really like that song" or even "I really can't stand that song" or "wow..."

Just HATE the ones that begin "nice...you know, it sounds just like" (the name that follows also is not always someone you personally like either).

You guys get that with original material?

====================================================

Check out my original music at

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/jacker

"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice,

but not in practice."

Originally posted by BluesWithoutBlame:

Just HATE the ones that begin "nice...you know, it sounds just like" (the name that follows also is not always someone you personally like either).

You guys get that with original material?

Yeah, I've lost my one and only "groupie" thanks to that. This girl sidled up to me after a gig and says "you're just like my favourite band, The " and I got so pissed off about it that she left a couple of seconds later. Especially after I said that the only thing worse than that band were the people that were cretin enough to like them.

I didn't get laid but, FWIW, my integrity is still intact. :D

I once had somebody come up to me and tell me I played/sounded "just like Roy Buchanan". This happend to be on the day he died, they didn't know that, I did.

1)

Tthey were verrrry drunk.

2) I probably play more like Edgar Buchanan than Roy....

3) They gave me their home addy and ph. number and told me to stop *any time*, if I needed a place to crash. 5 years later I found that piece of paper and did just that.....They didn't remember me. And I played just like Roy Buchanan, didn't I???????

Peace,

Paul

----------------------

Edgar Buchanan!!! :D:D:D

Uncle Joe!!!

Yeah, I hate the "you sound like" bit...but, y'know, it's really a basic element in human nature. We all relate to new experiences by relating them to familiar ones. Education majors learn this as the way children in public schools learn, so it's not just about music, it's about everything.

Take comfort in the fact that many of our favorite stars got to be that way by emulating their favorite stars. John Lennon wanted to sound like Buddy Holly when he sang, Paul McCartney like Little Richard (at least on his early rockers). Watch the movie "Ray". When Ray Charles first went into the studio, they were comparing him with Nat King Cole and Charles Brown.

And, BTW, Rockincyan...where in Southwestern Ontario are ya? I grew up across the river from Sarnia. (Maybe I've asked this before)...

Originally posted by Tedster:

Edgar Buchanan!!! :D:D:D

Uncle Joe!!!

Yeah, I hate the "you sound like" bit...but, y'know, it's really a basic element in human nature. We all relate to new experiences by relating them to familiar ones. Education majors learn this as the way children in public schools learn, so it's not just about music, it's about everything.

Take comfort in the fact that many of our favorite stars got to be that way by emulating their favorite stars. John Lennon wanted to sound like Buddy Holly when he sang, Paul McCartney like Little Richard (at least on his early rockers). Watch the movie "Ray". When Ray Charles first went into the studio, they were comparing him with Nat King Cole and Charles Brown.

And, BTW, Rockincyan...where in Southwestern Ontario are ya? I grew up across the river from Sarnia. (Maybe I've asked this before)...

Yeah...I know it is. In some cases, tell a woman that is really narcissitic that she looks like...(well, here it can be tricky, better be a younger, movie star, sexbomb, that she ALSO thinks looks great) someone sexy and she may take it as a compliment.

But, human nature or not, it IS meant well, but c'mon...an endevour where you want to express yourself and you get told you sound just like someone else?

We all know better than to say to our new girlfriend "wow...you make love great, just like my old girlfriend!".

We all know better than to taste someone's cooking and say "this tastes just like that fancy restaurant down the street"

When you have kids and they draw something, most parents know better than to say "really good, looks just like what that other kid drew!"

etc.

but not in practice."

How do I answer this without sounding arrogant?

In the seven years I was on the road, I calculated that we played just over 2000 gigs. In that time, I signed thousands of autographs (On posters and shirts etc.), shook thousands of hands and listened to millions of compliments. I remember that, for the first year, it was awkward. I wasn't sure how to react. After that, it just became part of the job. You smile and say "thanks".

That "strange" feeling goes away after you've been told how great you are for the fifteen-thousandth time...

Let me add that I know I'm not amazing. Compliments are part of playing in an environment where the audience has access to you.

It's all meant to be complimentary. It is people that are not in the business and they are trying to find a way to compliment you. They have no idea what to say, so they think the best compliment is to compare you to a favorite artist of theirs. They mean well. They don't realize they could just stop at "You sound great!" and let it go at that....doesn't seem like a big enough compliment to their (usually inebriated) minds.

The best thing to do is simply take it as the compliment that was intended, say "Thanks" and move on.

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Originally posted by Sasquatch51:

It's all meant to be complimentary. It is people that are not in the business and they are trying to find a way to compliment you. They have no idea what to say, so they think the best compliment is to compare you to a favorite artist of theirs. They mean well. They don't realize they could just stop at "You sound great!" and let it go at that....doesn't seem like a big enough compliment to their (usually inebriated) minds.

The best thing to do is simply take it as the compliment that was intended, say "Thanks" and move on.

Yeah...and I actually do. I mean, I have a friend that does this, and I know he means it well, he means it more as a "even though you aren't a big name or anything, you sound like this other artist that is well known!"

It IS meant well, and it is with good intentions.

And the worst thing is, I'd be lying if I didn't admit I have done it too :) but in those cases they REALLY DID....oh wait...not the point.

I'm guilty too. But it does kinda suck when it happens anyway.

but not in practice."

I have a rather straight friend whose concept of "utter, total weirdness" is Sonic Youth.

Over the years I have shown him my acoustic rock band, I have played him spoken word performance stuff we used to do, I have played ambient stuff I was doing... and every single time he looks a bit confused and then: "it reminds me of Sonic Youth!"

I suspect he says that because he knows I respect Sonic Youth, but I also suspect he thinks they're shit.

On the flip side of that, fans can be a little weird about what you play, too.

One night we ended a set with Billy Preston's "Outa Space" then took our break. While I was standing at the bar talking to the club owner this girl/woman who had obviously had a couple of drinks too many came up to us and asked what the name of the last song we played was. I told her it was "Outa Space". She said, "Oh, I liked yours but Billy Preston has a song by that name and it didn't go like that.." and she wandered/stumbled off.

I just traded looks with the club owner and finished my Coke with the tune from the Twilight Zone playing in my head. We had played Billy Preston's version note for note. Patrons can sometimes be truly bizarre.

Born on the Bayou

Considering that we do original stuff, it's quite a kick when people throw us compliments.

I look at it this way:

If someone cares enough to come up to us after a set and say how much they liked us and that we sounded like some band they like... great! They wouldn't be going to all that trouble to say anything if they didn't like what we do.

And if the only comparision they can come up with is some band that I don't like... well... whatever. People hear things all kinds of ways, and everyone's musical frame of reference is limited by their listening experience.

For example, some dude once told me my guitar playing reminded them of Buck Dharma from Blue Oyster Cult. Quite a compliment--Buck's a great player. But, while I do enjoy the odd BOC tune... I wouldn't necessarily say that Buck has been a big influence on my playing. But... I took that compliment in the spirit in which it was given--the dude obviously thought Buck Dharma is the shit, and that was his frame of reference when he heard my playing. Well, who am I to tell this guy that he's dead wrong, and that I never really listened to BOC or Buck Dharma? Nah... I just thanked him.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Brantford, Ontario, Home of Wayne Gretzky, Alexander Graham Bell, (inventor of the telephone), James Hillier, (inventor of the scanning electron microscope), many other famous people,and home of me......

I have a friend who worked in Sarnia for 10 years and came to realize that ALL of the cats born in Sarnia have abnormally large heads. It couldn't be the water, could it????

Peace,

Paul

----------------------

Originally posted by CMDN:

Well, who am I to tell this guy that he's dead wrong, and that I never really listened to BOC or Buck Dharma? Nah... I just thanked him.

Which is what you're pretty much meant to do, isnt' it? Just say "oh, wow, thanks!", smile and disappear in the crowd. Assuming there's a crowd, of course.

I'm sure the audience guy wasn't asking for an in depth explanation of your musical influences ("And then, when I was 10 years old, we had a neighbour who played the zither. Good old Mr. Tompkins, I still think of him from time to time! He had a habit of..") ;)

Don't take this the wrong way Lee. But you know some of these guys have been drinking.

I know that when I'm a little tipsy,I do things I would not normally do. But I usually am still honest. I'm sure those guys meant what they said.

It's a compliment.

Unless of course they were hitting on you, then they were just trying to get into your pants.

Originally posted by rockincyanblues:

Brantford, Ontario, Home of Wayne Gretzky, Alexander Graham Bell, (inventor of the telephone), James Hillier, (inventor of the scanning electron microscope), many other famous people,and home of me......

I have a friend who worked in Sarnia for 10 years and came to realize that ALL of the cats born in Sarnia have abnormally large heads. It couldn't be the water, could it????

I suppose those that live south (downstream) of the Dow Chemical plant...

HAHAHAHA...

http://www.ausoleil.org/blog/images/articles/20041215121739699_1.jpg

BTW...I didn't know Bell was from Brantford! I always thought he was from Nova Scotia. But, maybe he just had a home there in his later years.

Matter of fact, Bell owned a summer house in my little home town of Colonial Beach, Virginia.

He got around... :D

BTW...I didn't know Bell was from Brantford! I always thought he was from Nova Scotia. But, maybe he just had a home there in his later years.

Matter of fact, Bell owned a summer house in my little home town of Colonial Beach, Virginia.

He got around... :D

Actually, AGB was born in Scotland, but kept homes in both Brantford and Nova Scotia. In his own words the telephone was invented in Brantford. The home is still there, a museum now, and the first "long distance" phone call took place over telgraph wires from Brantford to Paris Ontario, a distance I can bike in less than 20 minutes. Long distance is relative, I suppose.

Other "famous" Brantford folks:

Doug Risebrough, Pat Hickey, Keith Jones, Greg Stephan...all NHL players.

Thomas B. Costain - Author

E.Pauline Johnson - Native Poet

Robbie Roberston of "The Band" spent summers on the very nearby Six Nations Reserve

Rick Danko was a lifetime member of AFM 467, the Brantford Local.

Two of the guys from SAGA are local.

Composer/pianist Hagood Hardy, (inspiration for the Guess Who song of a very similar name).

Jeff Healy went to the W. Ross Macdonald School for the Blind here in Brantford. That's where he learned his atypical guitar technique.

I could go on.....

Peace,

Paul

----------------------

Originally posted by rockincyanblues:

Actually, AGB was born in Scotland, but kept homes in both Brantford and Nova Scotia. In his own words the telephone was invented in Brantford.

Yeah, and in some other people's words the telephone was invented elsewhere! ;):wave:

And no, I don't feel like getting into an argument over this! :D

Archived