Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Crazy Complements, has it happened to you?

Dr. Ellwood

Which is what you're pretty much meant to do, isnt' it? Just say "oh, wow, thanks!", smile and disappear in the crowd. Assuming there's a crowd, of course.

I'm sure the audience guy wasn't asking for an in depth explanation of your musical influences ("And then, when I was 10 years old, we had a neighbour who played the zither. Good old Mr. Tompkins, I still think of him from time to time! He had a habit of..")

Right. My point, though, is that these terms may be the only ones that the excited, non-musician show attendees may have for describing what they just heard--even if they're totally off-base... So, even if they are wayyyy off the mark in describing your sound (even to an offensive degree), it's wisest to accept the compliment and just be appreciative that they care enough to comment positively.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm pretty sure that Rick Derringer wrote "Rock and Roll Hoochie Coo", but yeah, sometimes it's hard to keep a straight face with some of the compliments from folks. At the same gig once, the same guy told me I was the best guitarist he'd ever seen, and he'd "seen 'em all", and 20 minutes later, declared that the entire band sucked because we declined to play "Stairway...". I've been showered with ridiculous praise from: "You play like a god", "Thanks for gettin' dirt on my tongue" to proclamations that Clapton would retire if he saw me..... Granted, some of these people were sufficiently wasted to strike up a conversation with a lamp post if I weren't there, but it's nice to be appreciated, even undeservedly so. I've had drunken straight men kiss my hands, and hound me for autographs, much to Juanita's delight and amusement, and the other band members just shake their heads and flag the waitress. It's silly, but great fun! :D
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

One of the hardest things to do, it seems, is take compliments. Folks mean well, but as lot of times they simply don't know what they are talking about. They tell you that you were great when you know you sucked, and they don't say anything the night you play the monster magic gig of your life.

Well, the best thing is just to thank them, and let it go. It doesn't realy mean anything in the long run, and in ten years, neither of you will rememebr much about it, if you're lucky enough to have more important things going on.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Stop me if I told this one already :rolleyes:

One time we were playing at this little country

red neck bar and we wuz jammin and all of a sudden

I felt this prickley feeling on my neck then

a big scream in my ear Dude you rawk!!!

and he stood on the side of me the whole gig

giving me the thumbs up.Then I met his mama

and she wanted me to come down to Howell and give him lessons bla bla yada yada....best gig eye ever

done :thu:

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Hey Erik, you famous yet or what?
Oh, sure... I'm actually dying to write a "real" update, but that would be a bad idea right now.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

The worst is when people give you a bunch of compliments after a crappy night.

I used to tell them how bad I really sucked when I was like 21. Now I just smile and say thanks.

Really compliments mean nothing to me. I mean I could take em or leave em. I know how good I played and that is all that counts.

ON the nights where I play my best I just feel like I jammed, and that is a good enough compliment for me. If someone comes up and tells me I rocked thats cool, but it doesn't change anything in my mind. I play for myself first.

I really do like (and I think everyone does) a compliment, when you feel it's deserved, and well thought out, from a respected source, and not just someone "blowing smoke up your ass".

Some of the best compliments I've gotten were howls of approval at blues jams...you launch into a solo, and hit a pretty nifty little phrase, and someone (or several people) in the audience catch it and "OWWWWOOOO!!!"

I agree with not liking "compliments" when I've had a sucky night, but, none of us are alone. The great John McLaughlin said something on that...that it frustrates him, too when he feels his performance hasn't been up to his standard, and people compliment him. But, he just says "Thanks!" and goes on.

If it's good enough for McLaughlin, it's more than good enough for me...

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I'm with ya' Ted. The best compliments I receive are when I can look into the eyes of some audience members and see that they "get it". In my own little world, I try to communicate with my audience at a base, sub-intellectual and even sub-emotional level. Sometimes it works, more often it doesn't but when the stars align and you see folks in the crowd with wide-eyed, gaping mouth expressions (and it isn't because one of us just did something really embarrassing), it makes it all worthwhile. I often get the "YOURAWK!"/"YOUPLAYTHEHELLOUTATHATHING!" comments but the best ones are when they really don't know what to say because I've just made them feel something that they aren't quite used to and they like it. That's cool! The power of music continues to amaze me.

Otherwise, I just say "Thank you, I'm glad you're enjoying it" and "Call some of your friends to come join you" if it's a slow night.

I agree - compliments are OK, but sometimes they're just based on stuff like you do a song they like, which has little to do with exceptional skill!

It is nice to be respected by your peers or people better than you are, though. Especially if you have worked with them and they are honest enough to say, "Eric, why don't you rethink that one?" Then when they do say, "Nice job" it means something!

I'm playing mandolin in a church in the Village and was surprised to hear one of the guitarists tell me he enjoyed working with a musician "of my calibre". We were only strumming chords for the people to sing along - it wasn't like I was doing anything impressive! But it was nice of him to say, and I look forward to helping him expand his horizons on guitar a little!

Re: musicians of my calibre.. well, an old country song says it best: "My pappy was a pistol, and I'm a son of a gun.." giving it my best shot, whatever the calibre!

How about getting confused with another big time musician. I was returning back to NYC from a weekend being home playing with some old jam band buddies and I had my gigbag over my shoulder and as I was walking through JFK these 3 young women ran up to me all excited that they were meeting RICHIE SAMBORA??????

My hair did look like his in a way at that time (circa 1990) and I do look like him a little I guess...well anyway... there are three lovely older women now who have Richie Sambora's autograph! HAHAHAHAHA

I get the wierd compliments to from folks who compare me to Holdsworth or Satch or Morse. I always respond with a "wow thanks man"! and leave it at that. Even though I know I couldnt hold a candle to those dudes.

Mix of Rock, Metal & Heavy Fusion

http://www.visualcliff.net

My new band...Melodic Hard Rock

http://www.fallofechoes.com

The other night after my friends band was finished playing their set, I was helping them pull all of their gear off stage. While I was walking off with a head, this stumblin' bumblin'(and drunken, I pressume) guy came up to me and said, "Hey man, that guitar playing was great, you rule man, your like Hendrix". I just laughed and said "Thanks", then he gave me a hug. What made it even funnier was that those guys play metal, not resembling Hendrix whatsoever, and their guitar player looks nothing like me.

All guitar players look alike in the dark! Do we all sound alike? To some people, we DO!

Just like you and me might not be able to tell one French horn player from another on a record. I don't think we'd mistake how they LOOK though! Unless we too were stumblin' bumblin' drunken....

Originally posted by FumbleFingers:

I had a little different thing once. I did a gig for a week with a Top 40 band, led by two Jamaican dudes, at Chanute Air Force Base in Rantoul, Illinois.

At some point some way over the limit enlisted dude came up to me and said...

" Hey! Do y'all play any Willie!? "

"No we don't, sorry" I said.

" Well do y'all do any Freebird!?"

" None of that either, I'm afraid"

To which he pulled his face into this awesome drunk grimace and said..

" Well what the hell do y'all do?"

My mind was racing for something to please this guy with other than the sight of our pretty hot female vocalist in a leotard and cowboy boots.

How 'bout this I said as I ripped into the intro of "Cocaine". The war whoops seemed to last forever and all was good from then on. The fans are just awesome aren't they?

Hah, funny! I was thinking you should have broken out into "Raw Hide" :D
"I hate music--especially when it's played" Jimmy Durante

Originally posted by phil_harmonic:

Originally posted by FumbleFingers:

I had a little different thing once. I did a gig for a week with a Top 40 band, led by two Jamaican dudes, at Chanute Air Force Base in Rantoul, Illinois.

At some point some way over the limit enlisted dude came up to me and said...

" Hey! Do y'all play any Willie!? "

"No we don't, sorry" I said.

" Well do y'all do any Freebird!?"

" None of that either, I'm afraid"

To which he pulled his face into this awesome drunk grimace and said..

" Well what the hell do y'all do?"

My mind was racing for something to please this guy with other than the sight of our pretty hot female vocalist in a leotard and cowboy boots.

How 'bout this I said as I ripped into the intro of "Cocaine". The war whoops seemed to last forever and all was good from then on. The fans are just awesome aren't they?

Hah, funny! I was thinking you should have broken out into "Raw Hide" :D
"What's with all the chicken wire?"

Mikegug

www.facebook.com/theresistancemusic

More than once, when tearing down after closing with Voodoo Chile, or the Star Spangled Banner, someone will tell me what agreat BASS player I am, and I refer them to the bassist who is either a taller, thin black guy, or a thin white woman most of the time - neither of whom look anything like me - and the customer will start showering them with praise. Alcohol is a funny thing. :D
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Originally posted by ellwood:

I'm sure it has to everybody! Last Friday night we finished a set with Rock and Roll Hoochie Koo by Johnny Winter, it is an extended version with a great bass solo by Jim. When we went out on break right after a couple of guys walked up to me and said "man that was great, I liked what you did on it better than by Winter" I said thanks but that is impossiable and said he better go listen again! besides I said hay I didn't write it though! and don't forget I don't sing it either! Well Johnny Winter is one of my all time favorite top three guitar players of ALL time! A complement yes, but thats nuts!!

If a couple of guys stated this to you and not just one, perhaps you did do the tune better than Johnny Winter at that particular moment in time?

It could have happened.

I know what you're saying though. I love Jimmy Page's stuff. I copy as much of it as I can. In many ways, my rendition of his stuff can be cleaner... less sloppy. Then I tell myself.. who's copying whose music?

the closest thing from to a compliment ( cuz i dont really play outside of my house ) was this guy that would allways had a negative comment for EVERYTHING, he looked at me and said

" Man.. your good. " simple and plain, i think he bit his tongue that time, i was like :

" wtf, did YOU just give ME a COMPLIMENT? i gotta get that on tape "

I Am But A Solution In Search Of A Problem.

Originally posted by Braxat:

the closest thing from to a compliment ( cuz i dont really play outside of my house ) was this guy that would allways had a negative comment for EVERYTHING, he looked at me and said

" Man.. your good. " simple and plain, i think he bit his tongue that time, i was like :

" wtf, did YOU just give ME a COMPLIMENT? i gotta get that on tape "

BRAX! yes and this should be a lesson to us all! from now on TAPE ALL COMPLEMENTS!~ :D:thu:

Yes, tape them.. to your wall, to the roof of your car.. to the sole of your shoe!

Seriously, lots of well-known artists have saved the first good review that they got, after so many lousy ones!

There are those who think all music critics are just frustrated musicians who ought to taken out and shot, were it not a waste of a good bullet!

I don't go that far, but that could be said of SOME of them! I'm all for honesty, but there are some that are downright nasty!

Archived