Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Music you like that you used to not like

Hardtail

As I age, I find myself liking some artists that I didn't care for before. Some examples:

Janis Joplin

Bob Dylan

Neil Young

I couldn't listen to these artists all day but I do have a better appreciation for them.

I've always liked the Allman Brothers but not as much as I do today. They speak to me more today than when I was younger.

Anyone else with similar experiences?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think maturing gets us to appreciate things more. I was your typical arrogant teenager who knew everything, thought all adults were retarded, and felt sorry for anyone with an opposing point of view. I'm the reason I didn't have kids. I'm glad I don't think in such narrow terms now. Everything (except punk, hokey country, and rap http://www.websmileys.com/sm/evil/2.gif) gets more appreciation from me these days.
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

I couldn't stand most country music when I was young. At age 22 I began dating my wife, who had only just discovered Randy Travis on the recommendation of her dad, and she wouldn't listen to most of the hard rock I was into at the time.

Little by little I found songs that appealed to me. Eventually I was hooked. I found an appreciation of classic country as well as the new stuff. (At that time, Alan Jackson, Travis Tritt, Garth Brooks, Reba McEntire, Tricia Yearwood, etc.) When we moved to Nashville I was already neck-deep in country music, but my appreciation was further deepened by working at Opryland USA, where one section had old classic country playing as background music and my job mixing for Mike Snider gave me unfettered access to the Grand Ole Opry.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

It took me a while to really appreciate Fleetwood Mac. Also, when I was a kid, my brother and I got a whole batch of tapes by doing the "Columbia House" thing, one of which was Led Zeppelin III. At that age, I didn't get Zep. I thought it was either just a bunch of screaming or boring folk stuff.
Yum, Yum! Eat em up!

i've had love/hate issues with individual artists, never with genres as a whole. i can usually find something positive in any music.

that said - i used to completely HATE bob dylan, but i have come to terms with his peculiar genius.

I used to hate some of the funk/disco stuff. When i started getting into rhythm sections, I really began to appreciate the deep pockets of grooves, killer bass lines, and interesting sixteeth note guitar parts.

I still hate those string sections and asinine lyrics, though

I used to be just a hard rocker. But now I'll listen to anything that moves me (gets me moving physically). Which leaves out rap, soul, easy listening, hokey country. If it's got a good beat and a good melody I'll probably like it. If the tempo is too slow (sleeping music) or there's no discernable melody then I won't bother with it.

Just to let you guys know what I think of rap. We used to have a saying on campus that you can't spell turkey without TKE (a fraternity). Well today, you can't spell crap without RAP. As far as I'm concerned it's just amelodic noise with people rhyming to a rhythm.

Born on the Bayou

Back in the 70s, I had a "disco sucks" t-shirt and now I love 70s soul and funk. Also, when I first heard Springsteen, I couldn't stand his voice; I eventually got past it and I've been a huge Bruce fan for the past 25 years. In addition, in the early 80s, I detested that wimpy New Romantic movement, so it always surprises my wife that I really like Bryan Ferry and Roxy Music.

On the other hand, I remember having a couple Styx and Foreigner albums back in high school - what the f**k was I thinking?

I remember hating the Jim Hall/Bill Evans collaborations when I first heard them in the '70s, thinking they had no feeling. No, I love it - it was just too subtle for me at the time! Back then, it was largely a question of, "if they're playing fast, it must be good."

I didn't care for Beethoven's 6th (Pastoral) at one time, and now it's one of my favorites.

And lots of rootsy rock that I used to sneer at because it didn't have 13 b5 #9 and other demented chords, I appreciate now! (Ah, how ignorant people love to condescend!)

For the most part though, if I didn't like it then, I don't like it now! But the stuff I DO like I appreciate even more, 'cause the ear is much better trained to hear details. Since listening is "an art in itself".

Well, shortly after I left school, I took the Left way too seriously and spent six months refusing to listen to any music at all, thinking it was a bourgeois deviation from the class struggle :rolleyes:

Taken in THAT light, what music did I use to hate? All of it.

Over time I've mellowed out about some bands I used to despise after I started to listen to music again. Duran Duran are no longer The Worst Thing Ever To happen To Western Civilization and I can listen to mod stuff like The Jam without immediately becoming insufferably effeminate. I'm even learning to fingerpick which, back when all I knew was downstroke, I used to look at with suspicion.

Worst thing to happen to Western Civilization?

An interesting question, but I hesitate to start a thread on it.. we might all need to recover from some other recent threads...

But for the record, I don't think anybody on the recent "cowardly gypsy Django" thread quite rise to THAT level of excellence!

And of course there's still Eastern Civilization to consider, and if you're from the Midwest like me and Picker, Midwestern Civilization!

Am I the worst thing to happen to Midwestern Civilization? Quite possibly, but I left Iowa long ago, so it's hard to tell!

So Kramer, what part of Italian Civilization does Milan fall into? Are they still fiddling while Rome burns?

Originally posted by Eric Iverson:

So Kramer, what part of Italian Civilization does Milan fall into? Are they still fiddling while Rome burns?

:confused: I don't really understand the question. Some people (esp. if they vote for the Lega Nord) would probably say that, if Rome burned, the Romans would still ask us to pay for the gas and matches.

But most people (that I know) don't really think about it much. Since 9/11, separatism is not as big an issue as it was.

Was that what you were talking about? :confused:

Originally posted by LPCustom:

The previous reference to the "disco sucks" t-shirt reminded me I used to have a t-shirt (and I think it's still around here somewhere) that said "Death Before Disco". I really didn't like disco much.

I'm with ya, Bruce! NO DISCO!

:thu:

Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

While I have developed an appreciation for 70s funk and soul, I too still don't care for disco. I don't know if my distaste is exclusively the music's fault or the fact that some of the sleaziest, most ignorant macho jerks I knew back in high school were discoheads. Anyhoo, the whole disco scene back then always struck me as coke-addled, superficial, and sleazy.

At the risk of multitudious brickbats... I found George Michaels "Faith" album to be wonderful. Enough so that I bought his next two followup albums, which also have some nice work.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Originally posted by ihategarybettman:

... the whole disco scene back then always struck me as coke-addled, superficial, and sleazy.

nah. That was the rock scene. The disco scene was soaper-addled, superficial, and sleazy. (you see, a coked up girl never stops or shuts up; but a soapered or 714 addled woman is more... pliant...)

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Archived