Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - What to do in Ireland?

shniggens

I'm flying into Dublin this Saturday to have a grand ol' time in Ireland with my wife and the in-laws. We'll be putzing around Southern Ireland for a week.

Now I don't want to offend any Irish folk here, but quite honestly, Ireland is not really a place I've longed to visit. Not that I don't think it's a lovely place with lovely people. I just don't know much about it, and never really gave it much thought.

So in a sense, I think it will be very fresh to me, since I haven't any preconceptions of what I'm in for. And luckily enough for me, I haven't had to plan a darn bit of this trip!!! :D:o

I'm just a kid along for the ride!!! :)

( :eek: *Except I've been nominated to do a lot of the driving, which scares the shite out of me, quite honestly* :eek: )

So, those of you that live there or have been there - what to do in Ireland? What to eat? What to drink? What to see? Who to hear? Any festivals next week? Special events? Any forumites there (if so, watch out on the roads ;) )?

I'm finally getting antsy to go!!! :wave:

Amateur Hack

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well,

While your wife will want to shop around, you might want to stop a few hours at the famous Mike's Irish Bar with its hospitable employees...

http://www.mikesirishbar.gr/images/wallpaper_girls_m.jpg

If you're more into serious stuff, then there's the great Irish Museum...

http://www.reklamewelt.de/3049.JPG

And of course, you definitely can't miss the 2006 Traditional Irish Beer Balancing Festival.

http://samizdata.net/~pdeh/19910714-EndaPassedOutInMullagh.jpeg

I have many Irish friends. ;)

Here's a short list of musical events in Dublin at Dublin's National Concert Hall:

>>21st Anniversary Gala Concert

Ph: +353 1 4170077

Email: info@nch.ie

Venue: National Concert Hall

Earlsfort Terrace, Dublin 2

Price: 20 to 25

Description: Bray Choral Society Celebrate their 21st Anniversary - Orff's Carmina Buarana, Borodin's Polovtsian Dances, and other short pieces.

>> Miriam Fried & John O'Conor

Price: 10 to 15

Description: Following his highly successful Beethoven series at the National Concert Hall last year, Pianist John O'Conor joins forces with the internationally acclaimed violinist Miriam Fried in an all Beethoven programme for violin and piano.

>> Alma Flamenco

Price: 15 to 30

Description: A stunning flamenco company created by some of the most inspiring performers of our time.

>>RTÉ National Symphony Orchestra

Price: 8.50 to 25

Description: Brahms' Symphony No. 4 shows Brahms the Master in full song and at the height of his powers...great music writ large across the pages of musical history.

>>Remembering Mozart

Price: 10 to 12.5

Description: This highly acclaimed ensemble joins the rest of the world in celebrating the 250th anniversary of the birth of Mozart.

Here's what's happening in Kilkenny:

Carlsberg Kilkenny Rhythm n Roots Festival

April 28th to May 1st 2006

The acclaimed Carlsberg Kilkenny Rhythm n Roots Weekend will take place in venues throughout Kilkenny on the May bank holiday weekend, from Friday 28th April through to Monday 1st May.

Here are some of the reviews of the Rhythm n Roots Festival:

One of the best coordinated and produced music events anywhere in the world, attracting the cream of blues, country and folk talent, irrelevant of birth place Mark Philips, Americana UK

A utopian mix of Americana, alt-country and general roots-based music -Gerry Quinn, No Depression.

An event by and for music fans -Tony Clayton-Lea, The Irish Times

Without doubt, three days of heaven on earth Colm OHare, Hot Press.

One is caught between the impulse to tell the rest of the world about it and or keep it as a guilty secret - Nick Kelly, Billboard.

The Kilkenny Roots Festival is an incredible festival, the intimacy of it is something that people should try to replicate around the world - Joey Burns, Calexico.

Limerick has some things going on too:

>>Global Beats 2006 hits Limerick from 27th April - 1st May with over 25 free music events, workshops and some of the word's biggest DJs and bands putting Limerick in tune with the world. Amongst the headliners of this year's festival are Mr. Scruff, David Holmes, Colombian Salsa Legends Sexeto Café, Norman Jay and New Yorkers, Fun Lovin' Criminals. The Trinity Rooms will be the hub of activity this May Bank Holiday with the main healdiners playing at Limerick's premiere venue and late night clubs rocking you into the night.

>>Riverfest is limerick's biggest annual event, a developing festival designed to showcase and celebrate all that's great about limerick city, from the resource of the river shannon, to our music, sporting, fashion, artistic, food communities and many more. Riverfest has something for everyone. Riverfest is a rapidly growing festival and limerick is a rapidly growing place. So join us over the may bank holiday weekend. Whether you're 6 or 66, you'll find plenty to keep you smiling in limerick from april 27 - may 01, and indeed, all year round.

Seems there's more to Ireland than just Ale. ;)

Mike

I've been to Ireland and have considered moving there. Rent a bike and bike yourself silly - it's a beautiful country.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

I have a Dutch friend who states that mainland Europeans will be driving on the left side of the road in the very near future. This change over will start in Belgium ... they'll start with the trucks.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Dublin is supposed to be a very vibrant and exciting city. (full disclosure: I haven't been there)

Ireland has castles (many in ruins), historic churches, antiquitites, and some very dramatic coastline.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Originally posted by Dave Horne:

I have a Dutch friend who states that mainland Europeans will be driving on the left side of the road in the very near future. This change over will start in Belgium ... they'll start with the trucks.

...and woe is the driver who fails to follow the example of the trucks... ;)

If you can organize a rather reliable crew,

http://www.trippler.net/pics/irland/ireland1.jpg

I'd think about a boat tour on the Shannon river.

Rather relaxing

You can watch some cities:

http://www.trippler.net/pics/irland/ireland2.jpg

some cattle:

http://www.trippler.net/pics/irland/ireland6.jpg

do some fishing:

http://www.trippler.net/pics/irland/ireland3.jpg

try the Harp beer:

http://www.trippler.net/pics/irland/ireland4.jpg

finally have some leasure hours to read your favourite magazines

http://www.trippler.net/pics/irland/ireland5.jpg

and a lot more ;)

Starting with the trucks seems to be reasonable, after the dutch attempt with the bikes was only modestly successful.

Huh... This is a joke, right?

Huh... This is a joke, right?
Ah, ..... yea.

Some things I haven't found a definitive answer for online -

Is cigarette smoking allowed in public places?

Can you make a left turn on a red light?

-AND-

Are Irelands marijuana laws anything like Amsterdam's? :D

Amateur Hack

Originally posted by shniggens:

Some things I haven't found a definitive answer for online -

-AND-

Are Irelands marijuana laws anything like Amsterdam's? :D

Funny you ask..

I don't have the answers.

I just think it's funny you ask. :freak:;)

I've watched "The Commitments" and I know for a fact that they say the 'F' word quite a bit over there. :P

OK, I'll go along with the others - Drink Beer. :thu:

Perhaps this thread should be renamed:

What NOT to do in Ireland? :D

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Originally posted by cliffk:

Another thing: no matter how clued-up you are on matters religious, avoid the topic like the plague, and don't be drawn into said discussion even if they offer you this.

Interesting advice. I'll try to remember that.

Another question . . . is it football season over there? I want to sit in with a rowdy crowd of local football fans, even though I don't know shit about football (soccer).

Amateur Hack

-Nope not any more - first place in europe to ban it too.

beware though, Guinness has the slight problem of causing flatulence...without the sweet smell of tobacco, the "smell of man" generally goes unmasked...not so nice.

Also avoid drinking Harp Lager. Tastes like piss, and no irish person would dead drinking it. Made for export...

Yes, but if the police catch you, they will arrest you.

-AND-

Are Irelands marijuana laws anything like Amsterdam's?

Alas no. and as a cold island, its not easy to grow it your self. therefor its in short supply and expensive...but where theres a will...

Football is generally covered by the british leagues. there are irish leagues but pretty terrible (some would disagree!)

If your still around on the 20th May then Munster (the biggest and best provence) is in the European Club Rugby Final. If you want rowdyness, then Cork City is the place to be for this.

Also make sure to visit Galway City. every single week from May to September there is a festival of one sort or another. beautiful place too.

Beware though, a very large percentage of the country is vehemently anti-bush (like most of europe i guess)..so don't mention the "war"

Visit my band : www.neonfleacircus.net or www.myspace.com/neonfleacircus

Thanks, Cowfingers!

We will be in Cork, Galway, and staying a night in the Wexford castle.

I'll make sure not to talk about religion or politics. ;)

Leaving tomorrow!!! Woohooooooo!!!!!!!!!

PS, what's the skinny on tipping?

Amateur Hack

Cork and Galway are beautiful.

It is truly a beautiful country. Take it slow and just enjoy. I was amazed at how green everything was and by the utter lack of trees on the island.

Galway has a hot nightlife. Have a good time and get some fish and chips.

Wexford castle eh?...dunno where that might be never heard of it. (theres lots of ruins, and one albeit beautiful castle outside the town called Johnstown Castle, which is open to the public but i cant say i've ever heard of people staying in it.) but hey, castles are two a penny over here, so i guess theres surely one somewhere.

Tipping is discretionary over here.

crap service = crap/no tip.

you don't have to tip bar people (unless their good looking, but otherwise itd cost you a fortune) but in restaurants its standard fare to give ~10%...the usual!

I wouldn't freak out at talking about religion or politics - just don't expect anyone to agree with you...even if they do agree with you, they wont admit it. Irish people are pedantic at the best of times...

So when in Galway one would have to visit Connemara and when in cork it would be a nice day or two out to go west and visit the ring of Kerry. Tourists go mad for those kinda places - sometimes even expecting to see wild Leprechauns or something (we don't have any wild ones any more, just a few in various zoos dotted around the place)

And last but not least, bring lots of money the country is a massive rip off, especially dublin. enjoy

Visit my band : www.neonfleacircus.net or www.myspace.com/neonfleacircus

Archived