Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT:Apple Security warning

All over the news and the interwebs. Is it just for iPhones and iPads? If I need to update my MBP, the only option is to go from Catalina to Bug Sur? I suppose I've waited long enough for any "issues" to get worked out, but I just hate updating OS, since it's never been painless before.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Be careful of the Big Sur update. :hider:

I just tried updating my Macbook Pro 16 to Big Sur...it brought on something known as the Black Screen of Death. Seriously...screen is burned out. Dead.

Yes, as a result of an update. I took it to my local shop and they confirmed it. Backlight is fine, computer is fine...but not the screen.

Even better - I talked to the Apple guys this morning. They totally know about it. :rolleyes:

:mad::pop:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

I turned off automatic updates. The last time an OS update was pushed on my MBP 2016 without my consent, the upgrade was corrupted and it bricked my MBP. Had to get it fixed via the Apple Expert. Didn't lose much though.

All my Mac devices are frozen at High Sierra. I do not want any upgrades. Besides the risk of bricking, I got tired of Apple changing the UI/menus on their apps.

FWIW, I finally upgraded my late 2016 MBP to Big Sur last week, with zero issues, even among the plug-ins that are officially unsupported.

Holding off on 11.6 for a few days, though.

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

I turned off automatic updates. The last time an OS update was pushed on my MBP 2016 without my consent, the upgrade was corrupted and it bricked my MBP. Had to get it fixed via the Apple Expert. Didn't lose much though.

All my Mac devices are frozen at High Sierra. I do not want any upgrades. Besides the risk of bricking, I got tired of Apple changing the UI/menus on their apps.

This is standard procedure for me. Apple updates their OS way too often and the music software has a hard time keeping up. I postponed Big Sur for almost a year. Have since gone to 11.5.3 with no issues.

-dj

iMac i7 13.5.2

Studio One 5.5.2

Nord Stage 3

Nord Wave 2

Nektar T4

Drawmer DL 241

Focusrite ISA Two

Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre

Since I have a few 32-bit apps hanging around I'm staying with Mojave for the time being. Also, from what I understand even 64-bit apps can have some 32-bit "pieces" inside them. I usually wait pretty long between updates; I went to Mojave (10.14) from El Capitan (10.11). I always do a "test install" of the newer OS on an external drive first, then put all my music software on it. If I can boot from the external and do everything I need, then I know it's safe to update my internal. This is more work for sure, but eliminates the risk of updating my internal then getting surprised with something not working.

I take the security upgrades seriously, but I'm with those who semi-freeze their systems. I was on Sierra for eons in computer years and well-rewarded with stability. That's where I'm aiming with Big Sur. My setup is all but complete anyway.

Actually, I'm a lying crapsack. I'll suddenly add new pieces and so will you. Watch me do it within a week. I should be ashamed. :facepalm::cop:

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

Apple was actually pretty cool to me over the Black Screen of Death thing. They extended my warranty to cover it, overnighted me a shipping box and overnighted the box back to them. They'll either fix it or replace it.

dB

Apple only does very simple repairs so most the time they just replace it. Even Apple refurbished stuff they contract a 3rd party to do the work.