Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

KC - A Brief History

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sixteen years to the day that your account has been registered, Craig.

I'm guessing that means sixteen years to the day since this site came on line...?

I suppose so. But since he said that SSS left AOL in 1998, I wasn't sure.

Sooooo, happy 16th musicplayer forums? :)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

If I recall correctly, there was some downtime for SSS between AOL and MusicPlayer. Lynn Fuston hosted a shelter for SSS refugees during that time, if memory serves.

And yes, without both Craig and Dave, this community would never have existed. Many thanks to you both! :thu:

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Sixteen years to the day that your account has been registered, Craig.

I'm guessing that means sixteen years to the day since this site came on line...?

dB

Sounds about right. Between the end of 1998 and the beginning of 2000, Lynn Fuston hosted an ad hoc site for my Sound, Studio, and Stage forum that kept it alive...so SSS has been in existence for 20 years. Even older than Dave!

Lynn Fuston ended up at Sweetwater, I'm sure Chuck is very happy to have him onboard.

I remember the days of SSS on AOL as well. Can't remember where or from who I heard about it. It's been a wonderful ride ever since. I've been a member both here and at HC but agree with the above sentiments: the signal to noise ratio is much better here. I can't recall ever seeing the sense of community I saw when they took this place offline. We were all scrambling around trying to find and connect with each other through FaceBook, through KC2, or any way we could just to stay in touch. It was kind of like learning that your brother went missing in Afganistan and you'd stop at nothing to find him. I've never belonged to ANY online community where I found myself THAT attached to the members. I think it says a lot. God bless you db and Craig too for all they've done to build this city!

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

I've been around these parts since 2004, and it has been, bar none, the BEST forum for keyboard players on the internet. I like the largely gig-centric vibe around here. While there is some technical talk on here (and that is helpful to me as well), most of the other forums focus on the technical aspects of synths, analog repairs, analog culture, synth collecting, GAS, and all that. In this place, the focus seems more on traditional keyboard players, gigging, studio talk, organ and digital piano talk, keyboard recommendation advice, and this thing called MUSIC (that involves melody & harmony).

And, compared to other forums... it is a very friendly and welcoming place, largely devoid of flame wars, snarkery, snobbery, and those kinds of attitudes.

Yes, KC rocks! May it long live! :keys2:

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

• 11 months later...
Old timer here that though this forum had died for good a couple of years back. Glad to see it is still going strong! Wish my dedication to music had this perseverance...

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Thanks Dave for the history! I never have posted much on KC, but was an active lurker in the early 2000's - just starting to get back into making music after taking a number of years off and have been enjoying all the great recent threads here.

Best,

Matt

Knabe baby grand, Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Wurlitzer 200A, Clavinet C, Minimoog Model D, Synthesizers.com modular, Sequential Prophet 6, GSI DMC-122 and Gemini module, Kurzweil PC3-X

• 3 years later...
I've been around these parts since 2004, and it has been, bar none, the BEST forum for keyboard players on the internet. I like the largely gig-centric vibe around here. While there is some technical talk on here (and that is helpful to me as well), most of the other forums focus on the technical aspects of synths, analog repairs, analog culture, synth collecting, GAS, and all that. In this place, the focus seems more on traditional keyboard players, gigging, studio talk, organ and digital piano talk, keyboard recommendation advice, and this thing called MUSIC (that involves melody & harmony).

And, compared to other forums... it is a very friendly and welcoming place, largely devoid of flame wars, snarkery, snobbery, and those kinds of attitudes.

Yes, KC rocks! May it long live! :keys2:

An enthusiastic +1. I enjoyed reading Dave's history of the forum. I'm not much for internet social media but I'm quite comfortable here at KC. Synthizen2 summed up my sentiment nicely.

I know and appreciate so much more now, I stumbled into MPN recently and while I "play keyboards like old people f#@k" (points if you get the reference), I enjoy interacting with all musicians - even drummers - who just hit stuff with sticks... lol.

I'm sure I've ruffled a few feathers here and there, gotta go with the skill set you're given I suppose. Hopefully some have found my posts amusing here and there, which is my misguided intention just about always.

And yeah, KC is where the activity is on MPN. Great folks on the Guitar Forum and I am glad to be accepted there but it runs at much slower pace.

Cheers, Kuru

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

And the reason it's been around this long and will continue to do so? That's down to DB and others who ACTIVELY keep it to pretty much music and gear! It's why its a "safe" internet haven for musos who do not crave notoriety (the bad kind) and simply want to chill out with like minds.

Kudos in a big way to everyone behind the scenes (active and inactive, covert and overt) . Your efforts are well respected and appreciated.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

And the reason it's been around this long and will continue to do so? That's down to DB and others who ACTIVELY keep it to pretty much music and gear! It's why its a "safe" internet haven for musos who do not crave notoriety (the bad kind) and simply want to chill out with like minds.

Kudos in a big way to everyone behind the scenes (active and inactive, covert and overt) . Your efforts are well respected and appreciated.

This x1,000,000,000

I came for the synths, but I've stayed to bask in the uncanny civility. As a rule, everyone online but Jehovah's Witnesses runs at one another, brandishing spears and screaming "KREEGAH! BUNDOLO!" You can rarely hear a message above the din. :taz:

Here, I get a tour of Michael Boddicker's Synth Vault of Heaven and endlessly useful information to share and pass along. Aside from occasional nuclear puns, the place never degenerates into digital sewage. My sincere thanks to all involved, especially Craig. I helped a guitarist friend build one of his QuadraFuzz boxes, which he promptly married. :keys2:

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

Thanks for the history, Dave, as well as everything you do to propel and protect this community.

Got in on it pretty early, it seems. I have no idea how I found KC but I'm glad I did.

<--------

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

Thanks to all for the kind words - greatly appreciated. :)

I've said it before, and I imagine I'll say it again: this place is what it is because of the people who choose to spend their valuable time here. :cool:

I can't begin to tell y'all what a pleasure it is to belong to such a cool community. I consider myself fortunate to be in a position to help the lights on.

:keynana::cheers:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk: