Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is this sound a current keyboard preset?

Is this sound a current keyboard preset, or is it a post production or outboard gear effect? KC isn't carrying over Youtube 'start at' info in its embed media tags so goto 2:52 if you click on it.

[video:youtube]

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't say if it is somebody's preset, but it just sounds like a looped piano sample that is using an organ envelope so it doesn't decay, with perhaps a bit of filter making a bit of a chiff sound on the attack.

Should be able to come close on a number of instruments.

Moe

---

Definitely a piano sample, compressed to the hilt. Are you trying to get that sound on a board, or in your DAW?

Just wondering if it's doable with what I have. If it's a known preset on something recent, I can check what the elements are. I hear a level riding compressor, but the sustain has got me thinking it's controlled, so that new notes cut existing note more than most polyphony would do, unless it's being deliberately restricted in number, to ensure stealing, but then I would have expected the 'normal' playing sound to be more stunted, which it doesn't sound so. There's also a slow phasing which only seems to be on the sustained sound but not so much on the 'normal' piano, as if it's second sound being 'ducked' very quickly by the main piano sound, rather than just a main sound being compressed and manipulated.

Just listened again, and I think it's a sustained piano pad, using a compressor or time stretching the piano sample, alongside a normal piano, with the pad being ducked by the normal piano using a separate compressor fx, *but* there's a couple of places where the ducking has been manually adjusted (?), so you can't hear an obvious duck, just piano attack with immediate sustained pad following, without a duck. It could also be a user control to alter the duck on the fly for the same effect.

Sounds like two sounds, basically a piano and a rhodes. Sometimes they're playing the same thing, sometimes they break apart from each other. As for the organ-like sustain, it sounds like that's in the Rhodes patch, not the piano sound.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Sounds like two sounds, basically a piano and a rhodes. Sometimes they're playing the same thing, sometimes they break apart from each other. As for the organ-like sustain, it sounds like that's in the Rhodes patch, not the piano sound.

I was wondering if he's using 2 keyboards, one with a normal piano and one with the sustained version, which doesn't have an attack. If they're pitched the same he could double the 'normal' RH playing with the equivalent chords in same pitch with the LH. There's just a couple of places where the 'normal' note doesn't duck the sustained sound, to some extent. I don't think I've anything with an envelope to get both the long sustain and the very quick release I can hear on this. My stuff would normally overlap on the sustain, so there would be a build up of notes dying away, and a much muddier messier overall sound. The voice stealing of a reduced polyphony can produce this sound, but I don't have anything where you can deliberately limit polyphony, that I know of.

I wouldn't be surprised if you could message him and he'd tell you... https://www.facebook.com/simonjefferis/

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)