Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very good performance. I am not so fond of the sound though, in some passages it sounds somewhat synthetic. I guess it is one of the Steinways.

Great performance, really liked that.

And you"re using Pianoteq?

Which model? I think it"s always getting better - the Grotrian in particularly surprised me when they released it.

I agree about the performance. :) I am not so fond of the sound though, in some passages it sounds somewhat synthetic in the middle range. I guess it is one of the Steinways. So far I am liking the Bechstein better, Grotrian is nice too.

For me, it is the best piano VST ever created, it so effing SMOOTH!

Enjoy:

That's highly impressive! You can easily stand shoulder-to-shoulder with the best. Great feeling, great dynamic flow as the piece progressed.

As to the charge of the instrument sounding a bit synthetic, I concur, up to a point. I have two physical modelers from AAS which do their jobs spectacularly IMO, but the nature of PM is that aroma of clinical cleanliness. I find it fairly easy to banish with a bit of distortion or careful modulation, but frankly, I often use them as clarifying elements in "Combis." Much as a sine wave gives bass an added kick, massive pads or metallic clonks sometimes work better with that pinch of clarity.

Even through the YT compression, I can hear Pianoteq well enough to have the base version on my short list. It breathes well as you play. PM is also far less of a CPU-eater. I have a couple of gobblers, so its easier to keep things balanced. Again, fine, uplifting performance. :thu:

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

Since I'm perennially putting off investing in an upgraded board to my time-tested Casio PX-3, I did purchase Pianoteq early last year so I could get a little more out of my stage piano sound without sinking a bunch of cash into a new board. I've been very happy with it since. I'm a big fan of physical modeling; even if the sound isn't always as "authentic," it feels like it reacts more organically to my percussive playing style than what I've been used to with sample-based digital pianos, and that suits me fine. For what I do, the YC5 Rock Piano with the condition slider dialed back just a bit and a lot of damper noise is a really sweet spot for me, though I'll also use their Steinway when I need something a little warmer.\

Edit: I neglected to also mention your wonderful playing, OP!

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Enjoy

OP, that is f'n fantastic playing. :2thu:

it feels like it reacts more organically

everyone doesn't agree about the sound, but I haven't heard anyone yet say it doesn't play well. I like the YC5 as well as the U4 upright.

:nopity:

I am a huge Pianoteq fan and have been since version 2. The Modartt people are fabulous, and as others have said, I find the modeled pianos far more responsive to nuanced touch than any sampled piano I have tried. Low CPU footprint, vanishingly small SSD footprint, and even the models that come with it are fabulously expressive.

It's funny, the first time anyone pointed out how much more expressive models could be vs. samples went back to the ancient Roland RD-1000 and MKS-20. Structured/Adaptive Synthesis didn't really sound anything like a real piano, but the damn things were so playable that a lot of people didn't give a damn.

If Modartt ever released Pianoteq for iOS, I'd freaking marry it. :)

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

If Modartt ever released Pianoteq for iOS, I'd freaking marry it. :)

:yeahthat: - I'm not holding my breath, but it would be amazing to have Pianoteq on iOS. Unfortunately, they don't seem interested ... but I'm still waiting for it.

I will third this. Phenomenal cosmic power... in an itty-bitty living space. :roll:

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

I am a huge Pianoteq fan and have been since version 2. The Modartt people are fabulous, and as others have said, I find the modeled pianos far more responsive to nuanced touch than any sampled piano I have tried. Low CPU footprint, vanishingly small SSD footprint, and even the models that come with it are fabulously expressive.

It's funny, the first time anyone pointed out how much more expressive models could be vs. samples went back to the ancient Roland RD-1000 and MKS-20. Structured/Adaptive Synthesis didn't really sound anything like a real piano, but the damn things were so playable that a lot of people didn't give a damn.

+1

Been a long time since I tried PianoTeq....but I find it interesting that there is a continual demand for historical "failed" attempts at piano emulation (i.e. Wurly, Rhodes, pianet, etc) because they have become expressive idiomatic instruments in their own right. But when we get something like PianoTeq which is very expressive and much closer to a real piano than those historical instruments...it is viewed differently. Maybe it should just be viewed as it's own musical instrument.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

To the OP:

That was fantastic. I just stumbled into this thread. I am a huge fan of PT. Have had it since Version 2.

I spent a lot of time with the Velocity Curve setup in the program to really dial in my controller. I use the Condition Slider a bit. I have been experimenting with running it thru some of the tube effects in Mainstage pedal, warming it up a tad.

I

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu: