Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What is the worth of an EV S18-3 System

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, I couldn't even venture a guess but these are kind of relics by todays standards. I'm sure its huge in a road case.Most people use a sub/top kind of set up. It's also more difficult selling one speaker than a pair.

But the EVS were great sounding boxes. Perfect for Keys. We had 2 of them in our showroom at Dyno-My-Piano.

Sometimes you can check EBAY and click on "completed listings". If any of these have sold recently, it will be listed there with the selling $. Good luck

JP

1935 Mason & Hamlin Model A

Korg Kronos 2 73

Nord Electro 6D 61

Yam S90ES

Rhodes Stage 73 (1972)

• 13 years later...

Wow! Turns out I have one of the 2 S18-3's that were at the DMP showroom. They have very high efficiency. They were powered by a custom power amp that I constructed using surplus Sansui driver boards and later by my custom Mac clone.

With many of the current PA's and stage monitors being too bright these speakers have incredible tone, wide range, and lots of punch.

They sell used for around $200 to $400

B.C.

Price will vary considerably depending on your location.

Shipping costs may be higher than the value of the speaker, sad but true.

So a local sale is going to be your best price by far.

If you live in a rural area it will be difficult to sell it at all. In an urban area with a large population It should be much easier to sell.

Timing is currently unfortunate since a club or a church is more likely to have a use for this than any other potential customer because they can do a permanent installation.

A professional sound crew will not want to move that for every job.

Completed listings on eBay may be useful if they are "local pickup only." Good luck, Kuru

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Original Post was 13 years ago.......

Perfect, by now maybe gigantic speakers that weigh too much and should have a trailer hitch on them somewhere will be back in style?

hmmm... no...

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I noticed the OP never came back

For years I used an S15-3 powered by a Crown D150 in mono. Had a great sound.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Original Post was 13 years ago.......

Perfect, by now maybe gigantic speakers that weigh too much and should have a trailer hitch on them somewhere will be back in style?

hmmm... no...

Now that"s a good idea!

The framework of my little old trailer I use for carrying junk about is getting a bit dodgy - if I could find a cheap one of those to use as the chassis, if it still had a working bass driver in it I could also surprise one of those young bass heads with their massive sound systems at the traffic lights.........

EV have certainly made some good drivers over the years.

With the tendency to smaller rooms (at least here in the UK) it"s less likely to be able to accommodate large speaker enclosures for domestic use, either for 'leisure' or home studio. If you have the space and, understanding neighbours (or are using them in a sound proofed studio), then all is good! :2thu:

I think the point others were making is that they are rather big and heavy to cart for gigging, unless you are fortunate enough to have a fit and strong crew to help.

My joke about 'repurposing' one as the basis of a trailer wasn"t of course serious.

Can"t seem to find any cheap enough here on ebay UK for that..... ;)