Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland Patch Names - Caret?

Hi all,

I've got an FA and many of the patch names have something behind them. Seems like it will say "mod" after a slash if the mod wheel does something special, or "aft" for aftertouch similarly.

A few of the string patches have stuff like /spicc and that just means that a higher velocity will trigger the spiccato sound on an otherwise legato string patch for example.

The one I can't seem to make any sense of is a caret "^" after the name. I noticed this mostly on string patches.

I can remember eons ago that my Sound Canvas had asterisks in the names in the manual for patches that were legato enabled, but there's nothing like this in any of the FA manuals TMK.

These are also mostly in the EXP packs.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Caret is an articulation of an accented and marcato note, shown on sheet music as a marking like an upside down V over a note. The marcato portion might not apply to a synth patch, as the length of the note is probably up to the player. So I assume a synth patch marked Caret would have a very strong accent at the beginning of the note and it may or may not sustain following that.

Mike Kent

- Chairman of MIDI 2.0 Working Group

- MIDI Association Executive Board

- Co-Author of USB Device Class Definition for MIDI Devices 1.0 and 2.0

Caret is an articulation of an accented and marcato note, shown on sheet music as a marking like an upside down V over a note. The marcato portion might not apply to a synth patch, as the length of the note is probably up to the player. So I assume a synth patch marked Caret would have a very strong accent at the beginning of the note and it may or may not sustain following that.

Seems odd they wouldn't just use the actual caret "^" rather than wasting space spelling it out.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain