Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Muse Receptor - add an SSD?

I have an older Muse Receptor. It has mostly older software (Komplete 8, Massive, Reaktor, Alchemy and lots more). Also have Ivory on it. I don't expect to add any software to it as it does a lot as is and is mostly a guilty pleasure. I don't gig with it but never know what the future holds.

Any thoughts on putting an SSD into it? I'd go with the recommended Samsung 860 PRO. Would I get a boost in performance/polyphony/ability to have more programs open at the same time?

Thanks in advance.

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How quick are your load times when switching Kontakt patches?

If it"s pretty instant, I don"t know that I"d bother.

Although I would keep a backup of that HD in the Receptor for obvious reasons.

They're not instant, but probably take less than 15-20 seconds (a guess). Some old Muse info I found suggested less CPU load and greater polyphony.

Yes, I already have a cloned drive, but i guess having two backups wouldn't be a bad thing.

I know what I have is old tech, but I've not scratched the surface of what it can do, even with the old VST's that reside on it.

Checked Ivory load time tonight, about 24 seconds.

Massive loads quicker and program changes once it's open are quick, almost instantaneous.

From the SoundOnSound review,

'Both Pro models also offer an eSATA port for future external drive expansion, and (most significant of all in my opinion) the option of internal 128GB or 256GB SSD (Solid State Drive) storage. With sustained transfer rates double that of most SATA hard drives, these are a much better way to increase the maximum polyphony, for those that need it, than simply installing lots more system RAM. Even better, being solid state means that SSDs are impervious to shock and vibration, making them the perfect storage medium for the gigging musician. The unit under review here is the topâofâtheâline Pro Max model fitted with a 256GB SSD.'

Sounds like a 256gb SSD was an option on this model. That size drive is dirt cheap now.

If you are comfortable with cloning and getting inside it to mount the SSD where the spinning drive was.

I"d go for it.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Actually picked up a 1 TB 860 Pro for under $200. Love Amazon.

Already have cloning device that makes it simple. Only thing left will be something to mount it in the old drives place. Stay tuned.

Thanks for the encouragement!

My recollection is that the Receptor 2 was unable address more than 4GB of RAM.

Yes, confirmed it can only utilize just over 3 GB RAM.

Just a note of caution, the OS in the Muse emulates Win 7 or XP 32 bit, cannot recall which it is, so hope it all goes well, but if you run into issues you might want to consider reverting to the exact max hardware specs supported in the original OEM version.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

Just a note of caution, the OS in the Muse emulates Win 7 or XP 32 bit, cannot recall which it is, so hope it all goes well, but if you run into issues you might want to consider reverting to the exact max hardware specs supported in the original OEM version.

Thanks Markay, already considered that possibility. I think I'm ok because the drive I'm installing is the same size as the original, so the only difference will be that it's SSD.

Worst case if it doesn't work is I'll send it back. Amazon makes that easy.

I actually put the Samsung 860 PRO in my Receptor Trio. I had Muse Research (when they were in business) install the O/S etc on a drive I had purchased. But I had a weird problem with it.... it kept shutting down when changing / loading patches? I was told by one of Muse Research's former tech's that this was because the O/S was looking for Native System updates?

Not sure if this has yet been sorted out since I had some work done on it since, but was interested in the method you used to clone your drive?

~ Anthony

I actually put the Samsung 860 PRO in my Receptor Trio. I had Muse Research (when they were in business) install the O/S etc on a drive I had purchased. But I had a weird problem with it.... it kept shutting down when changing / loading patches? I was told by one of Muse Research's former tech's that this was because the O/S was looking for Native System updates?

Not sure if this has yet been sorted out since I had some work done on it since, but was interested in the method you used to clone your drive?

~ Anthony

I used this.

Drive clone

The only caveat is that the new drive has to be the same size or larger than the drive you're cloning.

Hey thank you! I misspoke before when I indicated that the unit kept shutting down. Actually it rebooted on it's own which is consistent with OS updates from the web. However, this was automatic, the way windows looks for updates if you don't turn the feature off, which is exactly what needed to be done in this case! I wish someone would have told me sooner.

It's good to see others still using the Receptor. The only other qualm I have is that mine came with the the PreSonus AudioBox 1818VSL USB 2.0 audio/MIDI interface, not that that is a bad thing. But, I was told that this A/D was specifically configured for use with the Trio / Quattro units, and I was thinking about using another manufacturers A/D with it. Something alone the lines of a Universal Audio, MOtU or a RME Babyface Pro.

I have yet to test it out after I had it re-configured, so we'll have to see what happens. I did hear somewhere that the converters on my model weren't as good as the one's on past units such as the Receptor 2+ , but I don't know for sure if this is true.

I hope you have a lot of fun with yours! : )

~ Anthony

~ Anthony

I used this.

Drive clone

The only caveat is that the new drive has to be the same size or larger than the drive you're cloning.

I like this one better it's faster and has more options

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net