Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's in your ears?

p90jr

What are you listening to this week?

For me, I finally opened to the Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers Live Anthology vinyl box (7 LPs) set that came in a couple of weeks ago. Glad to snag that one when they re-issued it... snoozed the first time years ago and it was going for more than my car is worth second hand.

I also got in the bundle of 5 vinyl repressings of the 1990s releases by the great Scottish indie guitar pop rock band Teenage Fanclub, which have always been fave records...

And Matthew Sweet's recent record Tomorrow' Daughter is great classic guitar (power) pop, continuing his tradition of having great guitarists, including Jason Victor (Dream Syndicate/Steve Wynn) and Valentine McCallum this time around.

And 13, the new record by Canada's great rock quartet Sloan likes to stay on my turntable for days at a time...

as far as streaming at work...

Michael Landau has a new record called Rock Bottom that has some great guitar playing on it, of course.

Johnny Marr from The Smiths has a new-ish record called Call The Comet I keep going back to...

The record Adult Entertainment by Jon Herington (Steely Dan guitarist and musical director) is a couple of years old but I've been pulling it up a lot lately, along with Triboluminescence by Andy Summers... and Joe Pass and Tav Farlow albums have been calling to me recently.

• Like 2

Anyone can do a spot chk of posts here to chk out my listening but here's something new I just heard (at least in this version)

[video:youtube]

It reminds me of this long time fave, though the reasons may notbeas obvious as they seem

Pali Gap / Hendrix

< https://vimeo.com/204090437 >

I must also say that these young cats Surfer Girl hipped me to have impressed me greatly.

I really think they go far beyond their early hype.

but :2thu: on Tal Farlow, P90

& thx for the tip on Sloan !

If I may, "Punk Byrds"

• Like 1
  • Love 1
d=halfnote

d...

Sloan, You certainly may "Punk Byrds"... those "Crosby" harmonies are a big thing they use... that's actually their first single from 1992 or so... after that they went in a more classic 60s pop/less "grunge" direction, which made Geffen records angry at them and they lost their recording contract... but they carried on. All 4 members are singer-songwriters with distinct personalities... the bassist/de facto leader goes behind the drum kit when the drummer takes his turn on guitar and vocals, and is a great drummer, too. Talented cats.

Teenage Fanclub have a bit of a Byrds thing, too, along with their Big Star thing...

and, funnily enough, they were also signed to Geffen records, who thought they'd be a big as Nirvana (before Nirvana) but they steered away from "grunge" and more into classic melodic guitar pop...

Someone linked to that "Bridge of Sighs" clip on facebook and it was a treat... made me get into the song more...

And I dig GVFleet... the hype soured my reception at first, but then I had to think about how that's not their fault, and they're so young... we'll see where they go.

• Like 3

50's, 60's, 70's music, very little after that.

Details, DBM, details....?!

Here's some of what I listened to tonight...

Ray Davies takes the story-telling aspect of rock music that Chuck Berry commanded unto us in a peculiarly English direction

Magic moment = the mélange of piano styles deployed behind the final verse

AK sings so lovely she almost makes me forget ReRe's fade :love:

Magic moments = the melismas at 1:33 & 2:45

Hometown hero Donnie Glover takes us back to some place near home

Magic moment = 3:20 / "no sound"

Gary Shider recounts tales of a ghetto childhood while George Clinton celebrates getting his 1st video budget

Magic moment = when we shift to the uptempo 2nd recorded version

featuring a searing gtr duet between Eddie Hazel & Michael Hampton

Don Van Vliet channels the ghost of Otis Redding

Magic moment = 0:57 + wherein guitarist Bill Harkleroad shows his stuff

• Like 1
d=halfnote

Going on a short road trip with Mom over the next few days, so Im NOT bringing anything to challenge her musical tastes.

Dont get me wrong, for 72, she is still surprisingly hip. (But she was a music teacher, sooo...) Ive taken her to see Aerosmith with Slash opening and Rival Sons in the past year or so, and turned her on to the vocal prowess of Chino Moreno and Josh Homme as well.

She even complemented some of the Lacuna Coil I was playing this week. But why borrow trouble, right? So Im taking the metal out of the cars rotation.

Im keeping The Black Keys Turn Blue, Robert Plants latest, and an old Nicky Skopelitis album, Wake Up and Dreamn the rotation. Maybe Clutchs Strange Cousins From The West will remain as well. The Lacuna Coil and Judas Priest CDs have been replaced by Jonas Hellborgs The Word and a California Guitar Trio concert CD.

Ill probably put some more pop, jazz and classic rock in the car to round things out,

• Like 1

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

I've been all over the place musically, catching up with a lot of stuff I haven't listened to in a while---

SIBELIUS( symphony #3)

HOLST (The Planets, both by The Boston Symphony and the electronic treatment by Isao Tomita)

JAN HAMMER( 1st 7 days and "Oh, Yeah?")

ROBERT SCHUMANN( Kreisleriana)

LEON REDBONE( On The Track)

ROSENBERG TRIO( live with Stephan Grapelli)

For a few....

Whitefang

• Like 1
I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Currently in my car CD player (where I do most music listening these days):

Spock's Beard: Noise Floor

The Sea Within (debut album)

Tab Benoit: Medicine

Big Big Train: Second Brightest Star

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vet2zWjuUsI

IQ: The Seventh House (hoping to make it to ProgStock next month to see them live.)

Dave Kerzner: Static

At work, I have a lot of music ripped to my PC that I listen to on shuffle when I can. Lately, I've had a lot of my old band, Redeem The Day, come through; as well as a lot of Andy Osenga.

• Like 1

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

and GVFleet reminded of these guys, who got a lot of attention for their eerily perfect Beatles covers busking in NYC Subways... their originals are cool updated psychedelic pop.

Just from that track, kinda makes me think of Seattle poprockers from the end of last C but a bit more polished.

They are good arrangers in a v.classic rock manner.

I do find a whole slew of Beatley stuff they do/did.

I like this one best so far, mostly for the gtr work & the shifts in the arr. (overall kinda mid-period FMac).

Drummer varies his stuff interestingly, too.

& what a great message of welcoming reinforcement---he don't mind if yer around ! :rolleyes::D

:thu:

• Like 1
d=halfnote

Q for all...

Has yer curiosity been piqued by what someone has posted ?

Or y'just in there cocooned w/what ya heard from the herd y' been riding ?

Ya in for the new or just for what y'knew ?

:idk

:steve:

Normally, Im always on the hunt for new stuff. I found Brian Eno by listening to what the bus driver on my route was playing. Ive found others from commercials, recommendations, etc.

But I havent had the chance to listen to the unfamiliar in this thread- trying to hit the road to Houston, soon.

• Like 2

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Q for all...

Normally, Im always on the hunt for new stuff. I found Brian Eno by listening to what the bus driver on my route was playing. Ive found others from commercials, recommendations, etc.

But I havent had the chance to listen to the unfamiliar in this thread- trying to hit the road to Houston, soon.

Yeah, of course nobody's gonna answer my Q or know if they really dug any of this in an instant.

I just wondered if there was any recognition or interest being stirred up or if :hand:

• Like 2
d=halfnote

Q for all...

Yeah, of course nobody's gonna answer my Q or know if they really dug any of this in an instant.

I just wondered if there was any recognition or interest being stirred up or if :hand:

I'm constantly looking for new or different stuff, myself. Going through and listening to the things posted here that I haven't heard (will post some vids, myself). When the Guitar mags arrive every month I sit and read them while listening to a track or two by whoever is being profiled... I'm not much of a metal fan, but I check out Gus G or whoever to understand them.

• Like 2

I listen to lots of genres of music from about 7 decades. I pickup some here, some at Starbucks and other places. Sometimes I'm concentrating on a few songs that I'm trying to learn. Now I'm working on 3 Bonnie Raitt songs that are covers, so I'm learning covers of covers I guess. I don't know if this makes sense, but it's easier for me to cover Bonny Raitt than Dylan. Million Miles, Standing in the doorway and Bonny's cover of Del Shannon's Runaway are what I'm working on. In the end it's a group decision what we use and don't use. Next up, for my enjoyment only, Greenwich Village 60's.

• Like 2
Jenny S.

+1 DBM, here's a sample (for d et al) I posted in the Birthday Thread about a week ago:

Way cool larryz, I was away in Southern California again for the first part of the week camping on the Ocean Front. So I missed this one until today.

• Like 1

Lots of different stuff lately

New too me Lord of The Lost pretty good

New Prog rock Sons of Apollo

Along with some Steely Dan , and Miles Davis Bitches Brew

In the car its been an Eluveitie and Cellar Darling (swiss metal bands , in the Celtic and Gall influnced lyrics) .

Lok

• Like 2

1997 PRS CE24, 1981 Greco MSV 850, 1991 Greco V 900, 2 2006 Dean Inferno Flying Vs, 1987 Gibson Flying V, 2000s Jackson Dinky/Soloist, 1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio,

There's only a couple of stations on the radio in these parts where I'd hear new "rock" stuff, and each time I hit them while "surfing", I never hear anything interesting enough to make me wanna stop.

OK.... What I listen to doesn't HAVE to be "rock" music, but any other "modern" genres are boring to me, And most other "genre specific" stations( Jazz, country, etc.) usually broadcasts long established tunes, or are also boring to me regardless of HOW "new" their offererings.

Whitefang

• Like 1
I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Q for all...

I'm constantly looking for new or different stuff, myself. Going through and listening to the things posted here that I haven't heard (will post some vids, myself). When the Guitar mags arrive every month I sit and read them while listening to a track or two by whoever is being profiled... I'm not much of a metal fan, but I check out Gus G or whoever to understand them.

:2thu:

• Like 1
d=halfnote

+1 DBM, here's a sample (for d et al) I posted in the Birthday Thread about a week ago:

[/quote

Way cool larryz, I was away in Southern California again for the first part of the week camping on the Ocean Front. So I missed this one until today.

Maybe cause it didnt fit the right time frame ? :poke: / :D

• Like 1
d=halfnote

Man, Ry Cooder is sublime and awesome...

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnnSp0GO2wo

Been digging his new stuff ?

(Gotta admit, kinda like his old stuff but deeper)

Here's a song he virtually created Keef R's persona w/via his participation in the PERFOMANCE soundtrack w/Randy Newman

BTW, dig this old track

Ryland's a real traditionalist but he's also one of the best players & interpreters.

What can we do to make his place in history more correct ?

• Like 1
d=halfnote

Just heard of this cat, Proteje, today

here's he's rocking w/ one of Robert Nesta Marley's kids

They'll break ya into nu-reggae mild stylee

This one's a bit more modern

Extending our trip into BassLand perhaps I'm not the only one to like this / violinist Jerry Goodman rips a gtr solo starting 1:36 :rawk:

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJJNkeBnN28

Here's a version of same tune but featuring Mr Geoffrey Arnold Beck, who, as you might guess makes the tune all his own :rawk:

Otherwise, in checking out the new Paul McCartwheel alb EGYPT STATION,

It seems that 1/2 a century aft Lennon broke the F-word barrier on his 1st post-Beatles solo record,

Pauly's gone nasty himself / 1st one's a double entendre perhaps, 2nd's flat-out rude :o:freak:

dial up 1:20 + if ya can't abide the sorta boring song

• Like 1
d=halfnote