Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Neo Ventilator II - noisy bypass switch

My new Vent II makes an audio 'pop' when Bypass is pressed. It's not loud but clearly audible. You won't hear it if the band is playing but I press Bypass between numbers. Before I go through the hassle of exchanging it for another one can anyone confirm the Bypass switching circuit isn't 'silent'. I don't recall my original vent having this problem but I don't think I ever used Bypass. However, I am now using the Vent II with a Nord and I need to use Bypass for non-organ sounds. It's not a deal breaker but completely silent would be a bonus. Can anyone check this out for me please?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You should try it while nothing is plugged into the input and see if you still get the pop. Its possible that the pedal is not causing the pop.

If you still hear the pop then youll know for certain the pedal is the culpret.

Thanks - I have tried it with no inputs connected but it still pops.

My Vent II popped and then went into permanent bypassed state.

What was amazing to me is that the bypass circuit was replaced free of charge in spite of the fact that I purchased the Vent II as a second owner off of Ebay.

I'd call that excellent customer service.

Barry

Home: Steinway L, Montage 8

Gigs: Yamaha CP88, Crumar Mojo 61, A&H SQ5 mixer, ME1 IEM, MiPro 909 IEMs

What is the Vent plugged into, and with what type of cable?

It pops with nothing connected to the inputs. Ive tested it with nothing connected except the right/mono output and it still produces a very short high pitched click.

Try again, but this time answer the question being asked:

What is it plugged into, and with what type of cable?

Some example answers could be "It's plugged into my Behringer ABC123 mixer with an old coat hanger" or "it's plugged into my 1176 Compressor using gold-plated MegaMonstrosity Cables that were hand-soldered by virgin mermaids from Atlantis."

Okay, your turn. :2thu:

What is the Vent plugged into, and with what type of cable?

It pops with nothing connected to the inputs. Ive tested it with nothing connected except the right/mono output and it still produces a very short high pitched click.

Try again, but this time answer the question being asked:

What is it plugged into, and with what type of cable?

Some example answers could be "It's plugged into my Behringer ABC123 mixer with an old coat hanger" or "it's plugged into my 1176 Compressor using gold-plated MegaMonstrosity Cables that were hand-soldered by virgin mermaids from Atlantis."

Okay, your turn. :2thu:

Ha ha!

Live - mono jacks to DXR12 line in.

Home - Tascam US366 into powered monitors.

Final test - nothing plugged into the Vent:

Headphones straight out of the Vent using a Y cable - you can just detect the click on phones.

As I said at the start of this post it's not a big deal as long as it doesn't get any worse and I've got 60 days if I decide to exchange it.

Cheers

Thanks for the info - did it pop every time you pressed bypass? If so how noticeable was it?

The honest answer is that I don't remember if it was on every press. I noticed it at home but not on gigs. The complication was that the Vent II was greatly reduced in volume in one channel on an intermittent basis. I don't even know if this was related. Before my tolerance ran out, it just died and off to service it went.

Barry

Home: Steinway L, Montage 8

Gigs: Yamaha CP88, Crumar Mojo 61, A&H SQ5 mixer, ME1 IEM, MiPro 909 IEMs

What was amazing to me is that the bypass circuit was replaced free of charge . . .

I had the same experience with mine. It suddenly froze in bypass state. The store where I bought it sent it out for repair and Neo's local affiliate fixed it for free, despite it being out of its warranty coverage. It's been working fine since (he says, hopefully).

I didn't notice any pops before its breakdown--never really listened for such stuff--but when I fired it up last night (SK1-73 through Vent II out to CPS Spacestation) and cranked up the volume, I did hear a very soft pop when I engaged the bypass function. Not a performance issue....yet.

“For 50 years, it was like being chained to a lunatic.”

-- Kingsley Amis on the eventual loss of his libido

I had the same experience as Barryjam and Polychrest with 2 Vent II units in a row. The first stuck in bypass less than 5 minutes out of the box. Exchanged no problem. The second took over a year to die. Neo fixed it for free. I was told there was a run of bad components in the bypass circuit and that the switch itself was ok. As of now,so far,so good but it's only been a few months since the repair. I love the thing so I hope it doesn't screw up again. Never noticed any pops going in or out of bypass. Neo's free repair was a nice surprise and my retailer's (Ashby Solutions) fast and courteous service got me sorted quickly. Both of my Vents were from a very early production run.

This experience did inspire me to tweak the internal sims in my clonewheels to sound better but once I got the Vent back it became clear how superior the Vent was. From what I've seen this problem only existed to any great extent with the Vent II.

• 2 weeks later...

What was amazing to me is that the bypass circuit was replaced free of charge . . .

I had the same experience with mine. It suddenly froze in bypass state. The store where I bought it sent it out for repair and Neo's local affiliate fixed it for free, despite it being out of its warranty coverage. It's been working fine since (he says, hopefully).

I didn't notice any pops before its breakdown--never really listened for such stuff--but when I fired it up last night (SK1-73 through Vent II out to CPS Spacestation) and cranked up the volume, I did hear a very soft pop when I engaged the bypass function. Not a performance issue....yet.

Thanks for the info. I received a replacement from Bax (great service btw) and it produces the same quiet 'pop' so might be an issue with newer units. It's not a deal breaker but it's an expensive pedal and I expected bypass switching to be silent. The Burn switching was silent but it had other issues - MIDI zipper noise for one thing. My Wahoo pedal by Sonuus has "Transparent True Bypass" and the bypass switching is completely silent.

On the plus side the programability of the the Vent II is very welcome. Lots of options for the remote and it works perfectly with my half moon switch. I like the smaller footprint too - fits perfectly on the top of the Nord E5D.

Well, for what it's worth ...

Based on this post, I went and listened for this at volume. Yes, there was a quiet pop when I engaged the bypass switch. But I had to listen for it. And it was there. No denying it. Must be a design issue, so not easily fixable.

Not going to return/repair it. Not enough of a big deal to bother me. Love the sound!

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

• 1 year later...

Resurrection Shuffle! I have an update on this issue. I returned the Vent II (over a year ago now) and went back using the Vent I - but I missed the extra features. So I ended up ordering a new one which arrived yesterday. In the box along with the manual was an addendum about Firmware 2.0. This cures the click on Bypass. Out of the box it's set to True Bypass and you can still hear a faint click. But you can change this to DSP Bypass select. The click has gone and I can't hear any difference to the signal in bypass mode.

Here's a scan:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n5xg0ubtuqw67n6/IMG_1116.jpeg?dl=0

Apologies if this has already been reported.