Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#2887531 - 10/28/17 07:54 AM new Vox Continental - Some thoughts
teashea Offline

New Vox Continental. Some thoughts.
This is a an unusual instrument. While Korg/Vox markets this as a Vox Continental, that is misleading. True, it does have an excellent Vox Continental sound, but that is a small part of what it does. This is a multi dimensional stage keyboard that is focused on a very specific target market. I don't think that is is going to appeal to the mainstream market, but to rather to a certain narrow group.
First, the build quality. Excellent. It is solid and well constructed. The knobs and switches have a good feel, with no wobble. I personally don't like hard plastic knobs so I replaced mine with Chroma Cap knobs (as I have done with dozen of my synths). I also removed the chrome "Vox" logo and the "British" logo. I think they put these on to add to the retro look, which is not quite my cup of tea. Other than that the aesthetics are something that I like very much. By the way the color is red, with some orange in it. It is not the orange color that it appears to be under the lighting of some of the videos and photos.
There are four main sound sections, two of which can be layered or split. Organ, Piano, Electric Piano and Key/Layer. There are four buttons that are used to turn these on and off. Very simple and very clear.
Each of the four main sound sections has a selection of instruments. For example, the organ sound section has three instruments - Vox (of course), CX3 (B3 family) and Compact (Farfisa). For each instrument you can select any of several variations. This is done by simply pushing a button to select the main sound section, another button to select the instrument and turning a dial to select the variation of the instrument. It is very easy and fast to use.
Layering requires nothing more than pushing the two main sound section buttons that you want. Selecting a split is done by pushing a button. Simple. Each of the four main sound sections has a separate volume knob so you can adjust the relative balance between sections.
There is also an effects section that is easy to use. There are insert effects and master effects. The layout is thoughtful and clear. There is also a 9 band equalizer.
Instead of drawbars there is a section of led touch sensors. These control the organ section instruments, as you would expect. They can also be used to control the nine band EQ and the Key/Layer sound parameters. I had never used led touch sensors before. They are quite easy to use and they do have the advantage of always showing the position of what is actually being played. Of course, they don't have the tactile feel of drawbars.
There is also a Leslie simulation, which Is good but not a Vent. There is no need for a half moon switch because the Leslie simulation is controlled by a bend lever (which also controls tremelo and pitch).
The sounds across the spectrum are clean and rich. These are Korg sounds, so you know if you like them or not. In fact the basic innerds are from the Korg Grandstage.
There is also a drive which uses a Nutube vacuum tube. Nicer than a digital drive.
I will add some more specific comments on specific issues. Overall I really like it but it is only going to appeal, I think, to a specific group of players. It does not have the deep adjustments that other clones have. In fact it does not have a screen - Just some led readouts to show the selection numbers for the instrument variations. No menu diving here.

KC Island
#2887537 - 10/28/17 08:12 AM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: teashea]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: USA, greater NY area
When you layer, can you set key range for a split?
Is there any way to do a split?
Can you transpose, by octave in particular?

#2887542 - 10/28/17 09:07 AM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: ElmerJFudd]
Spider76 Offline

Apart from a couple of minor details, sounds like the precise description of a Nord Electro.

#2887548 - 10/28/17 10:12 AM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: Spider76]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: ElmerJFudd
When you layer, can you set key range for a split?
Is there any way to do a split?
Can you transpose, by octave in particular?

From the manual, it looks like the only split available is for upper and lower organ drawbar settings.

#2887555 - 10/28/17 12:25 PM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: AnotherScott]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I have to take a closer look.
So it can take lower manual midi in from a stage piano or controller?
But I I'm guessing not pedals right... or maybe so?

#2887560 - 10/28/17 01:23 PM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: ElmerJFudd]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
Thanks for such a helpful review. I can't believe I spaced on this while at GC yesterday -- I didn't visit the keyboard room, thinking there was nothing new. I'll check their website to see if it shows up as in stock. Your review has bumped my interest in this model.

#2887810 - 10/30/17 03:16 PM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: teashea]
davedoerfler Offline
KCFF League Champion 2017
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: the swamp
VOX Continental Performance Keyboard 61-Key | Reverb Demo Video

davedoerfler

#2895030 - 12/10/17 08:55 PM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: davedoerfler]
Adan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco
I've had my Vox Continental for a couple days so I'll add my thoughts. Actually my thoughts are pretty much the same as Teashea's. This is a gem of a keyboard, but it's a niche board, not likely to appeal to a wide market. It's a high quality, great sounding piece of gear, but it's one you have to accept on it's own terms because it's not going to do your laundry for you.

I'm not even sure what niche it appeals to. It's got great Vox and Farfisa emulations, but are there really many players who want a board focused on that? The B3/Leslie sounds are excellent, but it lacks the adjustability of most clones. The piano and epiano sounds are Korg's best, meaning they are outstanding, but it's a waterfall keyboard, and you can't split different sounds, only high and low organ registers, so who will buy it for the piano sounds? There are some really nice synth sounds but you're rather limited in what you can do with them.

I feel certain the Continental is going to work for me, but its hard to see it catching on with legions of players. It's more likely to inspire a devoted cult than a broad fandom.

But let me talk about the good stuff, starting with the keyboard. It's a wonderful waterfall keybed, very light action with a buttery feel. I like it much better than the Electro. Pianos are very playable on it, helped by the adjustable velocity curves and the dynamics knob. The control surface is not tremendously deep in flexibility, but is very well designed for stage use. The tube is great for adding warmth and some grit. My memory of the SV1 tube is that it can get extreme very quickly but was not as good for just adding some warmth (maybe Korg has tweaked it since I owned an SV1?). The nutube in the Continental is kind of the inverse of that: subtle and warm, but not really able to achieve an in-your-face screech, at least not that I've found.

And then there is the stand, which for the time being at least is sold as a package with the keyboard. It's a wonderful stand, well engineered, but not super easy to fold up and transport. Maybe if there was a dedicated gig bag for it, it would be easier, but there is not. And it can't hold another keyboard, so unless the Continental is your only board (which is unlikely since it doesn't split), you'll have two stands. I'm curious though whether the Continental can be stacked into the Grandstage stand, that would start to make a bit more sense.

Despite its shortcomings, I'm pretty excited to have this board. The Electro has some big advantages in be splittable and more flexible. But the Continental has a vibe and personality all its own. I don't think Korg is going to sell a ton of them, but I think lots of folks who buy them will be happy with it.

roccoromanucci.com

#2895031 - 12/10/17 09:16 PM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: Adan]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Adan
I've had my Vox Continental for a couple days so I'll add my thoughts.

nice review, Adan. Thanks for posting. thu
davedoerfler

#2895035 - 12/10/17 09:37 PM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: davedoerfler]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Adan, great review. Do you know if the keybed is Fatar or home-grown? I know Korg has at times done their own keybeds. Is it the same as what was on the CX-3 towards the end, or did you ever try that one?

#2895045 - 12/11/17 03:48 AM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: Mark Schmieder]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Nice review, Adan.

The B3/Leslie sounds are excellent, but it lacks the adjustability of most clones.

I'm not sure adjustability is such a big deal in the broader market. It has often been said that many players never change the factory presets on their boards, and I would not be surprised if most clone-players never tweak the more deeply tweakable settings many of them have. And of course, a real tonewheel organ doesn't have so much typical end-usr adjustability either.

The tube is great for adding warmth and some grit. My memory of the SV1 tube is that it can get extreme very quickly but was not as good for just adding some warmth (maybe Korg has tweaked it since I owned an SV1?). The nutube in the Continental is kind of the inverse of that: subtle and warm, but not really able to achieve an in-your-face screech, at least not that I've found.

That's probably a good thing, in that the SV1 tube was probably most useful in the low end of its range (and finer amounts of gradation there could have been helpful). I'd be curious to know how these EPs compare with SV1, and also how much of an improvement the tube can offer to the CX3 engine.

unless the Continental is your only board (which is unlikely since it doesn't split)

I wonder again about how relevant that is in the broader market. Korg seems to have sold a lot of non-splittable SV1s, and Nord sold a lot of Electro 2/3/4, I'm curious what percentage of them are gigged by themselves vs. as part of multi-board rigs. I've definitely seen people gig with just an SV1 or just an Electro.

Originally Posted By: Mark Schmieder
Do you know if the keybed is Fatar or home-grown? I know Korg has at times done their own keybeds. Is it the same as what was on the CX-3 towards the end, or did you ever try that one?

FYI, my understanding is that the last CX3 was a Fatar TP-8O. (I actually preferred the earlier lipped version.)

#2895065 - 12/11/17 06:40 AM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: AnotherScott]
teashea Offline

Originally Posted By: AnotherScott
Nice review, Adan.

The B3/Leslie sounds are excellent, but it lacks the adjustability of most clones.

I'm not sure adjustability is such a big deal in the broader market. It has often been said that many players never change the factory presets on their boards, and I would not be surprised if most clone-players never tweak the more deeply tweakable settings many of them have. And of course, a real tonewheel organ doesn't have so much typical end-usr adjustability either.

The tube is great for adding warmth and some grit. My memory of the SV1 tube is that it can get extreme very quickly but was not as good for just adding some warmth (maybe Korg has tweaked it since I owned an SV1?). The nutube in the Continental is kind of the inverse of that: subtle and warm, but not really able to achieve an in-your-face screech, at least not that I've found.

That's probably a good thing, in that the SV1 tube was probably most useful in the low end of its range (and finer amounts of gradation there could have been helpful). I'd be curious to know how these EPs compare with SV1, and also how much of an improvement the tube can offer to the CX3 engine.

unless the Continental is your only board (which is unlikely since it doesn't split)

I wonder again about how relevant that is in the broader market. Korg seems to have sold a lot of non-splittable SV1s, and Nord sold a lot of Electro 2/3/4, I'm curious what percentage of them are gigged by themselves vs. as part of multi-board rigs. I've definitely seen people gig with just an SV1 or just an Electro.

Originally Posted By: Mark Schmieder
Do you know if the keybed is Fatar or home-grown? I know Korg has at times done their own keybeds. Is it the same as what was on the CX-3 towards the end, or did you ever try that one?

FYI, my understanding is that the last CX3 was a Fatar TP-8O. (I actually preferred the earlier lipped version.)

I agree with you. I don't see it becoming broadly popular. For certain players, including me, it is delightful. I continue to really like mine. And it has been flawless.

#2895080 - 12/11/17 07:15 AM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: teashea]
Adan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I had a CX-3 many years ago, when they first came out. The action on the Continental is not that action. I thought I saw some advertising language suggesting it was Korg's action, but I could be wrong. In any case, it's an interesting combination of keys that have the dimensions of piano keys (longer and slightly narrower black keys as compared to a B3), but with waterfall fronts. Again, I think the action is a major selling point.

So is the tube. Imo, it works extremely well with both organ and ep's, or anything really. Very adjustable in the lower range of intensity where you are just adding warmth and character.

I'm one of those players who uses a lot of B3 but doesn't change register much. I like 8888 and just leave it there most of the time. But I'm a piano player first, organ player second (maybe 3rd). I have a hard time imagining a serious B3 player comparing the Continental to a Mojo and getting the Korg.

roccoromanucci.com

#2895164 - 12/11/17 12:00 PM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: Adan]
burningbusch Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Ghost Planet
I think the Connie is the same action as the Kronos LS. SW calls the Connie action LS in their marketing info. I played the Kronos LS at NAMM and very briefly played the Connie (it was still listed as "don't touch") and thought them to be the same. Different key caps, that's all.

And I assume this is a Korg action.

Busch.

#2895182 - 12/11/17 01:39 PM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: burningbusch]
JerryA Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: New England
Thanks for the nice reviews. thu

How adjustable is the height of the Korg Stand? Does it allow someone to play the Continental in a standing position?

#2895199 - 12/11/17 02:04 PM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: JerryA]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

It's sounding more and more that this keyboard, like the SV-1, is designed primarily with "players" in mind, and not necessarily those that gig a lot.

I would say that 90% of the musicians I know rarely if ever gig, and most of them are WAY better than I am because they didn't drop out of music conservatory in favour of math and science as I did, and many did spend at least a number of years in top orchestras.

Even amongst the non-classical players, I know more who don't gig than those who do. They want a simple setup with good feel and sounds, and a good stand that is also easy to transport if they go to a friend's house for a jam or rehearsal.

As for studio work, those needs are more often than not met by software these days, but a good keybed feel is critical, and that's why I will always own a Hammond clonewheel (even if I upgrade now and then) even if someone tells me I have to check out the latest software emulation.

Exactly for that same reason, the keybed ergonomics of this Continental may well be a selling point for me, as I do not currently own an appropriate keybed for NEW parts -- I mostly am refining OLD parts and layering new parts atop them via clever tricks, HEAVY manipulation of MIDI, or CC's and other refinement of parts entered from the Minimoog Voyager.

Years ago, I babysat someone's Hohner Clavinet for a year, and despite all of its quirks and mechanical problems, it felt like an INSTRUMENT to me, which most MIDI controllers do not.

I hope one of our local GC's gets one of these in at some point. Otherwise, I'll have to check out Adan's gig schedule and see if I can make it to one of them. :-)

#2895233 - 12/11/17 04:55 PM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: Mark Schmieder]
Adan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I believe the Vox Continental stand will allow for standing up playing, but that's just my eyeball assessment, I haven't tried it yet. I will do so soon and post here again.

I can tell you that if you set up the stand and keyboard in your living room, your 20-month old daughter will try her best to climb up on it, and that if she succeeds, you will be glad that the keyboard attaches to the stand with screws so that she cannot send it crashing.

Mark, Bananas at large in San Rafael has a Vox Continental on display. I actually didn't know this before ordering mine. You'd also be welcome to come to my house in Larkspur and try it.

roccoromanucci.com

#2895280 - 12/11/17 09:04 PM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: Adan]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Adan, thanks for the info -- I used to go to Bananas monthly when I worked down the street at Autodesk. Now I go roughly once every two years. :-) Great store, but I rarely can sacrifice half of a Saturday to go.

Didn't remember you had moved from SF to Larskspur. Thanks for the offer. I'm having trouble figuring my priorities at the moment, due to complications in maintaining a proper quorum for the gigs I get offered. So I'm debating whether to get back into keyboard playing so I can do it myself. :-) Haven't had a full-sized keyboard since selling that Kurzweil I bought from you, to Phil Lesh to use at his club in San Rafael.

Edited by Mark Schmieder (12/11/17 09:05 PM)

#2909689 - 02/14/18 05:18 PM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: Mark Schmieder]
Brad Kaenel Offline
Gold Member

Loc: SoCal
Just set up a new Vox Continental in my office and started my Sweetwater 30-day timer. Will try to answer any left-over questions I see in this thread; if you have some of your own, please post here.

It's a very interesting hybrid keybed; not a Fatar TP/8O. It *looks* like piano keys with the little 45-degree corner knockoffs, not square-smoothed organ waterfall. The keys *do* have a lip, but it's no thicker than a sheet of paper; you can barely catch it with your fingernail. But it does cast a slight shadow which gives the illusion of a full piano-key lip when you look at. Obviously intentional, and quite subtly clever if Korg was trying to make pianists a little more comfortable. Semi-weighted, but felted underneath so it doesn't clack badly, and not too stiffly sprung. Different than anything I've ever played, but so far I kinda like it.

More to come...

#2909702 - 02/14/18 06:25 PM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: Brad Kaenel]
Adan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I was in GC today, just messing around, playing the Vox and the Electro that were next to each other. The Vox keys feel a bit longer, the black keys a bit more rounded at the top, relative to the Electro. The Electro keys work better for organ licks, and for that I don't mind as much how tightly sprung they are. For piano or epiano, the Vox keys feel better. No surprise there, it's clear these are the Kronos all-purpose keys, not keys designed for organ specifically.

It's interesting that, having had my Vox for awhile, I really gravitate towards playing the epianos on it. The feel of the keys and the finger to sound connection works really well for that.

roccoromanucci.com

#2909849 - 02/15/18 09:13 AM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: Adan]
gg22 Offline

I think the answer is "no", but just to confirm - can you play the Vox (lets say "strings") while playing another sound (EP) using external keyboard at the same time?

#2909854 - 02/15/18 09:21 AM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: gg22]
Adan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

No, you can't. Can't split either. Can only layer.

roccoromanucci.com

#2909859 - 02/15/18 09:47 AM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: Adan]
Brad Kaenel Offline
Gold Member

[the stand...] can't hold another keyboard, so unless the Continental is your only board...you'll have two stands. I'm curious though whether the Continental can be stacked into the Grandstage stand, that would start to make a bit more sense.

I see this quite differently. The stand is the same one available for the GrandStage, and is way more robust and than it needs to be to support the 18-lb VC. The crossbar assembly you get is designed specifically to fit the VC (specific holes for the feet and mounting screws), but the corresponding GrandStage crossbar could also be attached -- the vertical poles are tall enough to accommodate at least to two platforms. So you could easily stack both the GS and the VC on this stand. And if a "generic" crossbar assembly was offered, other keyboards could be used as well.

In fact, it looks like a generic version of the stand is already available: Sequenz Standard M-SV stand
Though I'm not sure who "Sequenz" is, nor why it's more expensive than the Korg version: Korg Standard M-SV stand

I agree it's a little fiddly to fold up and transport because of its unusual shape and design; a custom bag would be welcome. thu

Also, the expression pedal you get with the VC is no cheapie. It's a Korg XVP-20 (re-branded as VOX V861). Dual IN/OUT jacks for controlling volume, a trim knob, and the expression jack. Steel construction, and just as robust as an FC-7, if just a skosh narrower.

Kudos to Korg for providing $400 worth of quality accessories with the VC. Though I'm sure many of us would still welcome an option to purchase the board sans-extras, at a lower price.

Edited by Brad Kaenel (02/15/18 11:21 AM)
Edit Reason: correction on pedal model

#2909860 - 02/15/18 09:51 AM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: Adan]
Brad Kaenel Offline
Gold Member

these are the Kronos all-purpose keys, not keys designed for organ specifically.

Ah, I didn't know that. So this is the same keybed used in the semi-weighted versions of the Kronos? I haven't touched a Korg board since the Tritons disappeared...

#2909861 - 02/15/18 10:00 AM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: Adan]
mobi Offline

I was in GC today, just messing around, playing the Vox and the Electro that were next to each other. The Vox keys feel a bit longer, the black keys a bit more rounded at the top, relative to the Electro. The Electro keys work better for organ licks, and for that I don't mind as much how tightly sprung they are. For piano or epiano, the Vox keys feel better. No surprise there, it's clear these are the Kronos all-purpose keys, not keys designed for organ specifically.

It's interesting that, having had my Vox for awhile, I really gravitate towards playing the epianos on it. The feel of the keys and the finger to sound connection works really well for that.

Did you turn on the high trigger point on the Vox, before doing that test?

Makes quite a difference

#2909864 - 02/15/18 10:02 AM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: Brad Kaenel]
EscapeRocks Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Texas
Very cool they include the pedal. If one wants to buy it separately, it is the Korg XVP-20 Not cheap.

#2909874 - 02/15/18 10:42 AM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: EscapeRocks]
Adan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Responding to some of the above:

I have both the Grandstage 73 and the Vox Conti, and both came with stands. Strangely, the cross bar is a different length for each. It's not apparent why. So you'd have to order a separate crossbar to have two the same width. Not a huge problem.

I like the stand, it's high quality kit, sturdy, and not much more trouble to set up than some other popular stands. Negatives are the larger footprint and won't work for 2 boards if you want to play standing. The footprint is the only reason I might be hesitant to gig with it, if I don't know how spacious the stage is going to be.

The Vox has a high trigger option and I did turn it on. My feeling that the Electro is better for organ licks has solely to do with the shape of the keys. The Vox is good, but I felt I had a slight advantage on the Electro. I wouldn't call this a major reason to get the Electro over the Vox -- there's many other more important variables before you get to key shape.

roccoromanucci.com

#2909875 - 02/15/18 10:49 AM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: Adan]
Adan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

For that matter, you could put just about any keyboard on the stand that comes with the Grandstage, it's not specific to the GS. The Vox stand on the other hand has an attachment that allows you to screw the Vox to the crossbar, which is useful if you're one of those frenzied Vox rockers who might knock it onto the floor, or if you just want to put it at a skewed angle.

roccoromanucci.com

#2909885 - 02/15/18 11:22 AM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: EscapeRocks]
Brad Kaenel Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: EscapeRocks
Very cool they include the pedal. If one wants to buy it separately, it is the Korg XVP-20 Not cheap.

Thanks, ER; fixed above. thu

#2909887 - 02/15/18 11:30 AM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: Adan]
Brad Kaenel Offline
Gold Member

Strangely, the cross bar is a different length for each. It's not apparent why. So you'd have to order a separate crossbar to have two the same width. Not a huge problem.

Ah, here we go. Sequenz is the stand manufacturer, Korg is a distributor. You can buy the frames and tiers separately: Sequenz Keyboard Stands

Photos may be early renderings. Only the silver add-on tiers show the handle that makes them tilt-able. But the tilt assembly is backwards from the one I have, with the handle on the inside and the thumbscrew on the outside of the frame. I actually kind of like that arrangement better -- I wonder if mine can be re-assembled that way.

Adan, are yours the same? Curious...

#2909936 - 02/15/18 03:20 PM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: Brad Kaenel]
Adan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

It's a little confusing. My Vox came with a black tier, the Grandstage with a slightly shorter silver tier. Both are tiltable. Both can be reversed inside to out, the problem, I think, is that it will only match the width of the bottom struts in one configuration. So it looks to me like you have to stick with whatever works with the bottom strut assembly.

They're really nice stands, worth the $$$ I think, especially if you're a sit down player. I would try putting them in a cheap keyboard gig bag for transport.

On the other hand, there's options that will cost less, take up less stage space, and have quicker setup and breakdown, so I doubt these are going to take the keyboard stand world by storm.

Edited by Adan (02/15/18 03:23 PM)

roccoromanucci.com

#2909949 - 02/15/18 05:13 PM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: Adan]
Brad Kaenel Offline
Gold Member

it looks to me like you have to stick with whatever works with the bottom strut assembly.

Yes, I'm sure you're right. If you check the SW link to the Sequenz stands, above, they show Large (62"), Medium (55"), and Small (48") versions of the tiers (for their respective strut widths). My guess is these are intended, roughly, for 88-, 73-, and 61-key boards.

My VC-73 appears to have the Small tier (depending on where you measure), but it seems odd that the GS-73 and VC-73 would have different-sized stands when they're almost identical widths. Maybe the Korg stands are specifically customized for their instruments, and the "mass market" versions are really different. Bummer if none of those Sequenz add-on tiers will actually fit the custom VC-73 stand -- I'd really like to buy one to stack.

#2910130 - 02/16/18 12:28 PM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: Brad Kaenel]
Brad Kaenel Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: Brad Kaenel

In fact, it looks like a generic version of the stand is already available: Sequenz Standard M-SV stand
Though I'm not sure who "Sequenz" is, nor why it's more expensive than the Korg version: Korg Standard M-SV stand

Here's the actual Sequenz website: Sequenz Music Gear

#2910186 - 02/16/18 05:05 PM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: Brad Kaenel]
Brad Kaenel Offline
Gold Member

KB Mag dropped Andy Burton's review of the Vox Continental.

As for me, I'm sold enough to trade-in my Nord Compact. Truth be told, the NS2 is too much board for my needs as a jazz combo player. For musicals and other complex "cue-based" work, my Forte shines. But for everything else I'm just a Rhodes player with a few Hammond riffs and the occasional synth solo. I like instruments with less than a half-dozen knobs (OK, the VC as ten), a dozen good presets, and no forest of controls to get lost in. In other words, a really nice, useful ROMpler. blush

That's what the VC is, and I think that's why it appeals to me. It's immediately useable right out of the box, I don't need a computer to manage it, the control surface is simple (that touch-based drawbar/fader panel is simply genius), and it's got a little style. (Definitely looks better on top of my Rhodes than the Nord, and I even dig the curvy stand that comes with it.)

The build seems very high-quality to me, with metal all-around, and just a little plastic on the "cheeks". OK, external power-supply is a bummer. But it "feels" bigger than the Nord (and technically it is slightly wider and deeper, with longer keys), it has a much lower profile, and is actually three pounds lighter.

So, yah, I'm feelin' all groovy with this board -- even if it doesn't have reverse-b&w keys. twothumbs

#2910197 - 02/16/18 05:52 PM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: Brad Kaenel]
Adan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Nice review, he seems to like it a lot. One thing he said that really rings true for me is that it can be either a top or bottom board because the semi-weighted action works so well for pianos. Not as well as hammer action, but quite well for a situation that isn't piano-focused. I personally don't feel that way about Nord's unweighted action.

I'm finding the touch sensors don't work so well for filter cutoff and resonance, too steppy. That's a disappointment. But the synth section is pretty basic anyway, not intended as a substitute for even a simple VA.

It's also worth emphasizing that the B3 emulation will likely not satisfy someone who is using a state of the art clone as a benchmark. I'm thinking of getting a vent to compensate.

Edited by Adan (02/16/18 05:52 PM)

roccoromanucci.com

#2910205 - 02/16/18 07:34 PM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: Adan]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

because the semi-weighted action works so well for pianos. Not as well as hammer action, but quite well for a situation that isn't piano-focused. I personally don't feel that way about Nord's unweighted action.

For me, the Nord has really varied by the board. I was not at all happy playing piano on the SW Electro 3 or Nord Stage 2 actions, but the Electro 5D seemed notably better (despite still being more highly sprung than I'd like), and people seem to thing the NS3 is good too, I'm looking forward to trying it.

#2911638 - 02/24/18 01:17 PM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: Adan]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

The piano and epiano sounds are Korg's best, meaning they are outstanding...very light action with a buttery feel...Pianos are very playable on it
... I really gravitate towards playing the epianos on it. The feel of the keys and the finger to sound connection works really well for that.
...it can be either a top or bottom board because the semi-weighted action works so well for pianos.

It's kind of interesting, the Vox is clearly presented as an "organ first" board, but really, it sounds like it might be a particularly good choice for someone looking for a lightweight piano with one of the more passable actions if you want to stay in the sub-hammer-action travel weight range. It's lighter than the Electros or VR730. If you want good quality piano/EP and decent range of auxiliary sounds, and are looking for 73+ (decent piano-feeling) keys under 20 lbs, I think this and the Numa Compact series would be what you'd look at, and this would seem likely to be the better sounding choice.

#2911654 - 02/24/18 03:05 PM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: AnotherScott]
Adan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

The piano and epiano sounds are Korg's best, meaning they are outstanding...very light action with a buttery feel...Pianos are very playable on it
... I really gravitate towards playing the epianos on it. The feel of the keys and the finger to sound connection works really well for that.
...it can be either a top or bottom board because the semi-weighted action works so well for pianos.

It's kind of interesting, the Vox is clearly presented as an "organ first" board, but really, it sounds like it might be a particularly good choice for someone looking for a lightweight piano with one of the more passable actions if you want to stay in the sub-hammer-action travel weight range.

Having owned one for awhile, that's my take on it. It excels as a semi-weighted keyboard for pianos, and I for one value that degree of portability. My current band is a funk/soul outfit, so weighted keys for pianos are not even that useful to me right now.

roccoromanucci.com

#2911760 - 02/25/18 02:32 PM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: Adan]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Some questions for any VC owner...

Am I correct in guessing that it has seamless sound transition when switching patches, as the somewhat similar Grandstage does?

In the CX3 mode, there appears to be no way to choose deeper tweaks like key click level or leakage, or even some typical front panel settings like percussion (2nd vs 3rd, long vs. short, normal vs soft), nor specific C/V settings, correct? But there are 19 CX3 presets. Do these serve as alternate ways to get at those parameters? 19 isn't enough to cover every permutation, but 8 is enough to cover all the percussion combinations, are they all represented? Or is there some alternate way to select percussion settings that I missed? Related, are there presets with different levels of leakage or key click? It would be nice if there were a computer/iPad style editor to at least make some global adjustments, if none are available on board, i.e. for leakage and click, and maybe various rotary speaker parameters, etc.

#2911781 - 02/25/18 05:21 PM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: AnotherScott]
niacin Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: down under
According to the Keyboard Mag review there is no 3rd percussion, 2nd percussion only, and the volume and delay are fixed: "percussion control is limited to 2nd-harmonic on-off, vibrato is limited to “Chorus-3” or nothing, and there are no Leslie parameters other than rotary speed - to say nothing of keyclick or the myriad other controllable parameters we’ve come to expect in a modern clonewheel organ. If those are crucial for you, best to look at a dedicated clonewheel instead."

https://www.keyboardmag.com/gear/review-the-vox-continental

#2911794 - 02/25/18 08:07 PM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: niacin]
Adan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

The Keyboard article may be correct, but it's not clear to me how the author knows that stuff since it's not in the manual. He may be using his own ears, or perhaps he got extra info from Korg.

To me it sounds like 19 different Hammonds are modeled, each with a distinct character. The main variables are leakage and key click level. A couple have distortion built in pre-effects. Some are very clean, these are probably the "jazz" presets. I think they all use Chorus 3. Percussion volume is varied and, though I could be wrong, I think I hear 3rd harmonic on a few of them. These parameters are fixed in each preset, there is no way to recombine them. It's interesting and fun to switch between presets but of course this is not the level of control any aficionado would want.

roccoromanucci.com

#2911827 - 02/26/18 06:09 AM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: Adan]
teashea Offline

Now that I have owned my Vox Continental for a while, I continue to have very high regard for it. They really did a nice job in designing and building it.

#2911858 - 02/26/18 10:19 AM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: teashea]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

I am really surprised that its CX3 mode is missing so many options that even the original 1979 CX3 had (selectable 2nd/3rd percussion, adjustable percussion volume and decay, variable key click level). Which really further reinforces what I said earlier... unless you're specifically looking for the transistor organ functionality, I think it actually may function better as a lightweight "piano with other stuff" than it does as an "organ with other stuff."

But the other thing that bugs me is patch selection. There's a decent variety of sounds beyond piano/organ, with lots of tweakability (attack/decay/release, filter cutoff/resonance, LFO, effects), yet you can only save 16 patches (scenes)... beyond that you're limited to what you can call up/create in real time, which to make matters worse, typically requires scrolling through a sound category to find what you what. I was hoping there might be a way to directly access at least more of the factory sounds via MIDI, but no. The only sounds you can recall via MIDI are the 16 scenes.

#2911860 - 02/26/18 10:30 AM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: AnotherScott]
Adan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

It's an odd duck keyboard, for sure. It's definitely not for the player who, for instance, plays in function bands and needs to cover a lot of bases. It's also not for the Hammond aficionado. Maybe it's a dream keyboard for someone who really wants the VOX sound -- I wouldn't know.

I feel that if you take it on its own terms, you can come to appreciate it as a great keyboard that will possibly prove to be a classic. For playing jammy-funky stuff like I'm doing now, it's working out really great. I may be pairing it with a more full-fledged clone because I do yearn for the more complete Hammond experience.

roccoromanucci.com

#2911987 - 02/27/18 05:48 AM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: Adan]
teashea Offline

There are three new videos on YT comparing the Vox Continental to an Electro 5. Very interesting.

#2911990 - 02/27/18 06:29 AM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: teashea]
TomKittel Offline
Gold Member

And here is a entertaining comparison of the Vox Continental and the Roland VR730

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOJhReSPHBE

#2912052 - 02/27/18 12:53 PM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: TomKittel]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: teashea
There are three new videos on YT comparing the Vox Continental to an Electro 5. Very interesting.

Links?

Originally Posted By: TomKittel
And here is a entertaining comparison of the Vox Continental and the Roland VR730

Boy, he likes some crappy sounding transistor distortion. ;-) In fairness to the Roland, it isn't so bad if you don't turn it up so much.

From what I heard (and only on computer speakers), I preferred the Vox EPs, which is what I'd expected. I was surprised to not have much preference on the acoustic pianos (within the limited scope of his demo). Roland is the better clonewheel...even besides one's opinion about the sounds, at least the Roland gives you control over the percussion and C/V parameters (along with click, leakage, and rotary sim customization).

Interesting that he thought the Roland clearly had the better action, I haven't had the chance to play either one. Has anyone else here played both to compare?

Without hearing every additional sound (or getting my fingers on the keys), just from what I know, I think I'd have to choose the Roland (unless maybe I was particularly into the transistor organs, I don't know). I liked the VR-09 when I had one at my disposal, and the VR730 addresses two of its (related) biggest weaknesses... it has 76 keys and a better action, so its more suitable for piano playing (and splits). It still has a bunch of little gotchas, but so does the Vox. The main advantage of the Vox seems to be its lighter weight, maybe its EPs and the tube.

Here are some comparisons that come to mind...

Roland shortcoming: no way to route organ or a LH bass split to its own output
Vox: same, but worse, since it doesn't do LH bass split at all

Roland shortcoming: only 16 custom patches (registrations) recallable, have to scroll for others
Vox: same, but worse, only 16 custom patches (scenes) recallable, period.

Vox's (16) scenes can be recalled via MIDI, Roland's (100) registrations cannot. However, the 268 (+GM) sounds in the Roland can be called up via MIDI, the 150 sounds in the Vox cannot. I give this one to Roland.

Roland drawbars don't send MIDI CC, Vox touchstrips do. Point for Vox.

Roland registrations can include MIDI Program Changes, Vox scenes cannot. Point for Roland. (Though the registrations only include a single Program Change that covers the entire keyboard range. The Registrations can include split points, but they are ignored for MIDI transmission, you can't have an external MIDI sound only above or below the split.)

Vox lets you have different effects on two layered sounds, Roland does not. But Roland lets you split two sounds, Vox does not.

Roland has pitch and mod levers, Vox has pitch only.

Roland has one foot switch with a global assignment, Vox supports separate sustain and rotary toggle foot switches. (I can't believe that even with the 730 update, they still haven't at least allows you to alter the behavior of that pedal on a registration-by-registration basis. Or an option to have it be a sustain pedal unless organ is the only sound you're playing, and then make it a rotary toggle.)

SYNTH:
Roland has real-time synth parameter controls (drawbars) for attack, decay, release, cutoff, resonance.
Vox has real-time synth parameter controls (touchstrips) for attack, decay, release, cutoff, resonance, LFO (vibrato) amount and speed (somewhat makes up for lack of mod wheel?), plus two additional parameters which vary based on the particular sound.
...but Roland has access to ALL synth parameters via an iPad app.

Overall, I think the Roland wins on functionality, and probably sound. If you don't need the lightest weight, I don't see a lot of reason to choose the Vox (about 18.5 lbs for the 73) over the Roland (about 22 lbs), other than maybe transistor organs or EPs, unless you're just really into the vibe and particular ergonomics of it.

For organ/piano/EP/clav, I'd take an Electro over either one of them (though it would have to be the 6--or a Stage 3--if you want the seamless sound transitions that the Vox and Roland have). But the more you need synth or other sounds, the more the Roland or Vox could have an edge over the Electro. And price, of course, with the NE5D-73 at $2500, Vox at $2200, and the Roland looking like a bargain at $1500.

#2912058 - 02/27/18 01:18 PM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: AnotherScott]
Adan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I watched that video out of curiousity since I have the Vox and VR-09B. Pretty useless video, really, but sort of keeps you tuned in just to hear what daffy comment is going to come out his mouth next. For me, his credibility as a reviewer is lost in digging on the maxed-out Roland distortion (seriously?) and in not being able to find the clavs on the Vox (it's not hard at all).

From the perspective of quality of sounds, I think the Vox is better than the Roland for everything except B3 emulation, which I think is close enough that it's a subjective choice. Also, the Roland has a much broader palette of synth and "other" sounds.

From a functionality standpoint, the Vox is very rudimentary, and this is where I think most keyboard shoppers will balk. You could say it's truly a "retro" keyboard in that sense, playing one sound at a time with almost everything literally on the surface. I personally find this very appealing, but then I'm not contemplating using it in a top 40 cover band.

roccoromanucci.com

#2912068 - 02/27/18 02:17 PM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: Adan]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

For me, his credibility as a reviewer is lost in digging on the maxed-out Roland distortion (seriously?)

personal taste, but... uh huh.

and in not being able to find the clavs on the Vox (it's not hard at all).

or the transistor organ sounds on either one of them. Even when pausing the camera to take the time to look.

But he's kind of entertaining, and there was some useful info there too.

From a functionality standpoint, the Vox is very rudimentary, and this is where I think most keyboard shoppers will balk. You could say it's truly a "retro" keyboard in that sense, playing one sound at a time with almost everything literally on the surface. I personally find this very appealing

I think the VR09/730 is very similar in that respect, with the same kind of immediacy. Okay, it does give you options to split or make some other tweaks, but if all you want to do is the same stuff you can do on the Vox, I think most of those operations are about as straight-forward and direct to do on the Roland as they are on the Vox. In fact, I think the Roland can be easier to navigate, because of the display. Each board gives you quick access to 12 categories (plus organ), then you have to scroll within the category to find your sound, but one gives you names where the other gives you numbers. I mean, say you want a harpsichord. On the Roland you hit the Others button, and use the up-down controls until the display says "’Harpsi." On the Vox, you activate the Keys category (which could possibly require multiple button presses), and use the up-down controls until the display says "7" which is not as obvious. (As for calling up saved settings, both give you 4 banks of 4 buttons.)

So I think patch selection specifically for playing "one sound at a time" is better on the Roland. That said, I do prefer the Vox's rotary knobs for adjusting the volumes of the sounds in different sections, compared to the Roland's up-down volume buttons, and it's nice that they put the Rhodes and Wurlis into their own categories. I'm not sure which effects section I'd prefer, it's possible I could prefer the Vox there as well.

When I looked at the Vox layout, my guess was that holding down PERC while hitting the adjacent Variation up-down would let you cycle through the eight possible 2nd/3rd, level, and decay options, and holding down VIB/CHORUS while hitting the Variation button would let you cycle through the six possible V/C options. I'm really surprised this kind of functionality is missing.

#2912070 - 02/27/18 02:40 PM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: AnotherScott]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

#2912097 - 02/27/18 07:25 PM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: Adan]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

I have the Vox and VR-09B.

Ah, you're the perfect person to ask! One thing that irritates me about the NE5D is the way it handles switching "songs" (which is like switching banks of Vox Scenes and Roland Registrations, i.e. they redefine what the 4 custom patch selection buttons do). Let's say you're on Bank (Song) #1, playing one of the sounds you've selected from the four recall buttons. You're coming up on a part of the song where you're going to need a sound you've stored in Bank (Song) #2, so you hit whatever you need to hit to bring up this other 4-button set of sounds. On the Nord, the first sound of the new bank/song is then immediately automatically selected, preventing you from being able to continue playing the first sound right up until you hit the point where you need to select the actual sound you need from the second Song/Bank. How do the Vox and VR-09B handle this? I would hope that merely selecting a new Bank would not change the sound that you're playing, but rather you'd have to then hit one of the four Registration/Scene select buttons in order to invoke a new sound.

(This is doubly irritating on the Nord since, not only can't you keep playing a sound until the moment you're ready for the next one if it's in a different song/bank, but also without seamless sound transition/patch remain, you can't even *hold* an existing sound while navigating to the next one, it will cut out as soon as you move to the new bank/song. At least that much should be fixed in the E6. Other than that, the way around it is probably to switch sounds via MIDI Program Change rather than by navigating on the board itself.)

Edited by AnotherScott (02/27/18 07:47 PM)
Edit Reason: add'l paragraph

#2912103 - 02/27/18 08:22 PM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: Adan]
jerrythek Offline
Platinum Member

The Keyboard article may be correct, but it's not clear to me how the author knows that stuff since it's not in the manual. He may be using his own ears, or perhaps he got extra info from Korg.

To me it sounds like 19 different Hammonds are modeled, each with a distinct character. The main variables are leakage and key click level. A couple have distortion built in pre-effects. Some are very clean, these are probably the "jazz" presets. I think they all use Chorus 3. Percussion volume is varied and, though I could be wrong, I think I hear 3rd harmonic on a few of them. These parameters are fixed in each preset, there is no way to recombine them. It's interesting and fun to switch between presets but of course this is not the level of control any aficionado would want.

I'm not sure what you mean by 19 Hammonds modeled, but it is all voicing based on the existing CX3 engine's parameters, same as it is on a Kronos. There are not different vintages of Hammonds modeled, nor are there different tonewheel sets as on some other brands. It's all "voicing". Hope this helps.

Jerry

#2912111 - 02/27/18 10:57 PM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: jerrythek]
Adan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I hear different levels of leakage and key click in the 19 presets. In the world of real Hammonds, that would mean 19 different ones, but in the Kronos CX3 it's achieved by adjusting parameters of the CX3 engine.

Scott, the Vox works the same way as the Electro for changing banks and slots.

roccoromanucci.com

#2912170 - 02/28/18 08:42 AM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: Adan]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Scott, the Vox works the same way as the Electro for changing banks and slots.

Bummer. What about the VR-09B/730?

I was thinking about how, for a lot of my gigs, I have a basic set of 24 sounds that covers me for almost everything. So if a board like the Vox (or Roland) gives me quick access to 16 through Scenes (Registrations), plus gives me quick direct panel access to some others (i.e. they both give you easy on button access to piano, so there's no need to use up a scene/registration for that), maybe that's "close enough" to not be too painful, requiring only minimal scrolling for the last few, less frequently used of the 24. But for this to work smoothly, you need to be able to switch quickly and easily among the 16 Scenes/Registrations, and as I discovered on the Nord, if you can't keep playing sound X while you get ready to invoke sound Y, you can run into problems. Ideally, of course, there would be 16 buttons for the 16 sounds you want most available (something you have on numerous other boards, including ones from Korg, Kurzweil, and Yamaha), but I was thinking that 4 banks of 4 would be okay if switching could still be done smoothly from any one to any other at any time.

I assume seamless sound transition on the Vox at least allows you hold (although not play) a sound in one bank, while navigating to a sound in another bank?

I think the Roland should be able to do that too, but I'm not sure their patch remain works with all sounds, I seem to remember maybe it would glitch switching to (or from?) organ sounds...?

#2912196 - 02/28/18 11:05 AM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: Adan]
jerrythek Offline
Platinum Member

I hear different levels of leakage and key click in the 19 presets. In the world of real Hammonds, that would mean 19 different ones, but in the Kronos CX3 it's achieved by adjusting parameters of the CX3 engine.

Spot on, I just wanted to be sure you were understanding what was going on "under the hood". Plenty variety can be achieved with the parameters, as you are hearing.

#2912359 - 03/01/18 05:04 AM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: jerrythek]
teashea Offline

One nice thing about the Vox Continental is the build quality - metal and excellent

#2912360 - 03/01/18 05:05 AM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: teashea]
teashea Offline

..... except for the knobs and the two cheap silver plastic logos (which I removed and replaced)

#2912478 - 03/01/18 12:21 PM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: teashea]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

In comparing with VR-09/730, I said "the 268 (+GM) sounds in the Roland can be called up via MIDI" -- but I should qualify that by saying that it's not the most straight-forward implementation, info at
http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2890672/Re_Roland_V_Combo_VR_09#Post2890672
-- and also that doesn't include the GM sounds, which I don't think can be played from the keyboard unless you're connected to a computer, as shown at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sq-cMz3Alyo

#2914505 - 03/12/18 11:50 AM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: ElmerJFudd]
Brad Kaenel Offline
Gold Member

Yesterday was my first Sunday worship with the NS2 Compact swapped out for the Vox Continental. Seamless transition, and it actually fits better in my repurposed Hammond cabinet than the Nord did -- it's more than an inch less thick, so much more room to get my hands in to tweak the controls.

Just really enjoy playing this board. thu

#2914509 - 03/12/18 12:03 PM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: Brad Kaenel]
Brad Kaenel Offline
Gold Member

it looks to me like you have to stick with whatever works with the bottom strut assembly.

Yes, I'm sure you're right. If you check the SW link to the Sequenz stands, above, they show Large (62"), Medium (55"), and Small (48") versions of the tiers (for their respective strut widths). My guess is these are intended, roughly, for 88-, 73-, and 61-key boards.

Bummer if none of those Sequenz add-on tiers will actually fit the custom VC-73 stand -- I'd really like to buy one to stack.

Sweetwater confirms that the Sequenz stands and add-on tiers are in fact the same sizes as the ones shipped with the Grandstage and the Vox Continental, although the Korg-included accessories have some incidental branding (color, logos, etc.)

The stand provided with the VC-73 is the "Standard Medium", and the "Medium" tiers will indeed fit onto it. Likewise with the "Large" and "Small" stands/tiers provided with the GS-88 and VC-61, respectively.

I have a Medium add-on tier arriving tomorrow; will report back...

#2914535 - 03/12/18 02:04 PM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: Brad Kaenel]
jerrythek Offline
Platinum Member

I will add another observation: I tried the VC at NAMM and really enjoyed the Rhodes electric piano sounds... there was some new voicing (to my qualified ears) and I really liked them. So while it is the same engine as the Kronos there has been some new sounds have been rolled out that I liked a lot.

Jerry

#2914555 - 03/12/18 04:01 PM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: jerrythek]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: jerrythek
I will add another observation: I tried the VC at NAMM and really enjoyed the Rhodes electric piano sounds... there was some new voicing (to my qualified ears) and I really liked them. So while it is the same engine as the Kronos there has been some new sounds have been rolled out that I liked a lot.

Could it be the presence of the tube?

#2914595 - 03/12/18 09:41 PM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: jerrythek]
Adan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Jerry

There's a lot of nice patches on the Vox but it's the Rhodes that most often gives me happy fingers. The voicing and response are so good. It's been awhile since I played a Kronos but I have the Grandstage to compare it to. The GS has the advantage of weighted keys, but to my ears some of the Vox Rhodes patches are more alive and characterful than the GS, which is saying a lot.

roccoromanucci.com

#2914712 - 03/13/18 01:38 PM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: AnotherScott]
jerrythek Offline
Platinum Member

Could it be the presence of the tube?

That could be a part of it, but I recall liking the key-off element specifically... it was a bit more "meaty" (I know, a terrible technical analysis), and more realistic to my early morning NAMM ears. I wish I could compare them side by side with a Kronos to judge better.

#2914720 - 03/13/18 02:13 PM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: jerrythek]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Interesting comments, Jerry/Adan. EP is mostly what continues to intrigue me about the VC. As a top board of a pair (or as a solo board), I think it would be too limiting for me, between its lack of splits and its quick access to only 16 stored sounds. But my needs in a bottom board are much more limited, and the VC may make sense as a super light bottom,assuming its action passes the "good enough" threshold. For this scenario, my front runner is actually the Numa Compact 2 which I have (or the 2X that could replace it), which is cheaper, lighter, 88 keys, with more presets if I want them (and they're also recallable via MIDI). One other advantage of the Numa is how shallow it is, allowing the second board's keys to come very close to its own. (Aftertouch is nice, but I may have it on my top board which would make it less of a concern here.) So the Numa could fit this bill pretty well. But what tempts be about the VC is the possibility of better sounds, and superior EPs in particular, which is a big part of what I play on a bottom board. The SV1 is too heavy, but if the Vox approaches its EP quality, it would be tempting. Under a Nord Stage 3 Compact for example, whose EPs are okay, but not my favorite.

(Earlier in the thread, I also compared the VC to the VR730, which in many ways is more capable for less money... but the lower weight and the quality of the EPs can give the VC an edge in this case.)

Edited by AnotherScott (03/13/18 03:58 PM)

#2914786 - 03/13/18 08:01 PM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: Adan]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

There's a lot of nice patches on the Vox but it's the Rhodes that most often gives me happy fingers. The voicing and response are so good. It's been awhile since I played a Kronos but I have the Grandstage to compare it to. The GS has the advantage of weighted keys, but to my ears some of the Vox Rhodes patches are more alive and characterful than the GS, which is saying a lot.

Are you using the tube when you play these GS EPs?

It could be an interesting experiment to run a MIDI cable and try playing the Vox EPs from the Grandstage keys, and see if they still sound different from the EPs in the GS itself (if you don't have the tube engaged), and also to see whether the Vox EPs may actually somehow play better from the Vox SW keys than from a hammer action over MIDI.

#2914917 - 03/14/18 10:12 AM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: Brad Kaenel]
Brad Kaenel Offline
Gold Member

Sweetwater confirms that the Sequenz stands and add-on tiers are in fact the same sizes as the ones shipped with the Grandstage and the Vox Continental<updated>, although the Korg-included accessories have some incidental branding (color, logos, etc.)

The stand provided with the VC-73 is the "Standard Medium", and the "Medium" tiers will indeed fit onto it. Likewise with the "Large" and "Small" stands/tiers provided with the GS-88 and VC-61, respectively.

I have a Medium add-on tier arriving tomorrow; will report back...

Unfortunately, it doesn't fit. cry

The "Standard" tier is about 5" too long for the Continental's stand, if you try to mount it *inside* the vertical poles as the instructions direct. If you spin the clamps around and try to mount the tier on the *outside* of the poles, like the original tier that was provided for the Continental, then it's too short.

The Continental's stand has the tier extending *outside* the poles on both ends, and the tier clamps are also rotated 180-degrees, with the tilt handles on the *outside* instead of on the inside like all the photos on Sweetwater's website and elsewhere.  And anecdotally, marketing photos of the Korg Grandstage show Sequenz stands with the tiers and tilt handles on the inside, just like all the printed instructions show.

So, Adan, you're definitely right. It seems like the Sequenz stands provided with the Grandstage models are "stock", but the Continental's stand is not -- the bottom strut is a custom width, so the stock parts don't fit.  And believe me, I tried every possible way of arranging the stock tier, even with the clamps/handles on the opposite way, etc.  There's no way it fits; either in the "correct" position, or the "incorrect" position that the Continental's stand employs.

Fortunately, though, the tiers themselves can be easily disassembled. If I decide to keep the Standard tier, I can simply remove the endcaps, cut the aluminum crossbars to the correct length, and reassemble it so that it will fit inside the poles. Or I suppose I could also exchange the Standard tier for the longer "Large" and do the same thing, but mount it outside the poles so that it matches the tier I already have.

#2914956 - 03/14/18 12:14 PM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: Brad Kaenel]
theGman Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Parts Unknown, Virginia
For me, the Vox deal killer is not having a split, especially on the 73 key board. I was getting the GAS feeling too!

No split eliminates it for use as a single gigging board in my world. Doesn't anyone who engineers these things have a live gigging neighbor or relative who would mention this?

Waste of a fine keyboard. smile

#2914963 - 03/14/18 12:45 PM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: theGman]
Adan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: theGman
For me, the Vox deal killer is not having a split, especially on the 73 key board. I was getting the GAS feeling too!

No split eliminates it for use as a single gigging board in my world. Doesn't anyone who engineers these things have a live gigging neighbor or relative who would mention this?

That's a valid argument. I'm sure monotimbrality will have many folks crossing this off their list and will mean fewer units sold.

Vox (Korg) clearly knew this and made a design decision to go mono. Maybe keeping cost down was part of it, but also, mono is consistent with the theme of a simplified set of panel controls and a "what you see is what you're playing" philosophy. This is something I really appreciate when I'm able to take two keyboards on a gig. Not so much when I can't.

Goes back to my comment that if you're playing in a function band covering songs from many different bands, a monotimbral keyboard might be too impractical. If were doing that now, I don't think the Vox would be in my rig. But my current band is pretty open ended, jammy, and spontaneous, and the "what you see is what you're playing" approach is very helpful and conducive to that.

roccoromanucci.com

#2914972 - 03/14/18 01:40 PM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: Adan]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Vox (Korg) clearly knew this and made a design decision to go mono. Maybe keeping cost down was part of it, but also, mono is consistent with the theme of a simplified set of panel controls and a "what you see is what you're playing" philosophy.

Yeah. One of the biggest knocks on the Electro was that it didn't do splits. They added splits in the E5, but some people bemoan the simplicity of earlier boards. Not every board is for every player. Korg seems to have sold plenty of essentially non-splitable SV1s, and Nord did sell plenty of pre-5 Electros. More people probably want splits (and more boards have them), but some people want simplicity and don't necessarily need splits.

#2915098 - 03/15/18 06:33 AM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: AnotherScott]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

picking up from the above and also a related post in another thread...

What I don't understand is the kboards like the Vox having 73 keys and no splitting. THAT is dumb.

There are two reasons people are likely to want 73 keys rather than 61. One is splits, the other is more keys to play a single sound, most often piano. In the case of the Vox Continental (and Seven and SV1) there is a big focus on vintage keys. The 61 cannot give you the full original key span of a Wurli or a Clavinet or a 73-key Rhodes; the 73 does. (Nord did essentially the same thing in the non-splittable pre-5 Electros, though they were one-key off in covering the span of a Rhodes 73, going F-to-F instead of E-to-E.) That and the additional range for piano is enough to justify having more than 61 keys for some players. At least the Vox lets you layer, a function that is either non-existent or much more limited in the SV1/Seven and previous Electros.

As it happens, I rarely use splits myself, except for LH bass, and lots of players don't do LH bass. If I'm doing the kind of gig where I have to play multiple sounds at once (and/or do a lot of fast sound switching), I'd rather bring a second board, even just a cheap and light one (i.e. Yamaha MX49). I prefer that to doing lots of advance sound setup and having to be cognizant of keyboard ranges for sounds as I play. But sure, lots of players need splits, and these boards aren't for them. And that's only one of many limitations of the Vox, there are others who probably won't want it because of the limited patch storage/recall, or missing clonewheel percussion/CV options, or lack of a mod wheel, or lackluster MIDI implementation, or minimal sound editing, or inability to send organ sounds through a separate out from the non-organ sounds... We'll see if it finds its market. Though they seem to have done well with the SV1 despite a similar set of limitations.

Especially since the VC does have an underlying split structure that supports dual organ, though, for me it would have been nice if there were merely an option to call up a LH bass sound for that lower part, even if that were the only non-organ split available. That probably wouldn't add much operational complication, and would address one of the single biggest needs of those who do need splits. That and some better patch recall functionality (even if only being able to call up all its built in sounds over MIDI) would make a big difference to me. I'm still on the fence as to whether this could be a good fit for me.

#2915112 - 03/15/18 07:36 AM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: AnotherScott]
Adan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

There's a cognitive toll to be paid when using splits. The more ways in which you divide your attention, the more distracted you are from the "pure" cognitive activity of making music. Splitting a keyboard adds at last two extra things to be aware of: split point and octave shift. So you might think this through and conclude, "yeah, it's a distraction but it's worth it." The only point I making is that it's not irrational to want to avoid paying that toll by playing keyboards mono-timbraly.

Edited by Adan (03/15/18 07:56 AM)

roccoromanucci.com

#2915127 - 03/15/18 08:16 AM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: Adan]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

There's a cognitive toll to be paid when using splits. The more ways in which you divide your attention, the more distracted you are from the "pure" cognitive activity of making music. Splitting a keyboard adds at last two extra things to be aware of: split point and octave shift. So you might think this through and conclude, "yeah, it's a distraction but it's worth it." The only point I making is that it's not irrational to want to avoid paying that toll by playing keyboards mono-timbraly.

I agree. On a "bottom" board (or an only board), I don't think I've ever used a split except maybe for LH bass (though I'd more often do that on a top board). On a top, I've occasionally split for other purposes, but try to avoid it. And yeah, I've definitely accidentally crossed split points, or dealt with things being an octave off, especially on those times I split a 61, bleh. I once actually even added velocity splits (get an entirely different sound when I strike the same keys harder). It was an interesting experiment, and it did let me get all the sounds I wanted (it was for Prince's "Diamonds and Pearls"), but I'll never do that again. At that point, I feel much more a "technology operator" than "player."

#2915161 - 03/15/18 10:17 AM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: AnotherScott]
theGman Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Parts Unknown, Virginia
Split button sounds like the "transpose button" discussion with the same outcome...if you don't like it, don't use it.

However, playing in a classic rock band and a blues band, it's hard to beat having a left side organ with a right side piano, or then maybe a right side sax, or something else, just a button push away.

No cognitive toll for me...I don't split on the fly; they are pre-programmed, so no mental calisthenics necessary. This way you can adjust lower side volume down to not fight the right hand melody side. I believe I have almost all splits at same point, to eliminate surprises also. It's just nice being able to add this variety to the arsenal.

In addition to just using one sound entirely, I use about 6 ? preset splits, such as Left to Right:organ/piano, orchestra/piano, piano/piano and organ/organ (with the lower piano or organ raised up an octave, to keep from walking on the bass), etc.

I also have used a split same sound on sound with the lower 2 key octaves again being up 1 octave, to keep from walking on the bass. Side bonus: also nice for occasional drinking or snacking or reaching for or adjustments while playing a one hand background with sound on sound, since these left 2 or so octaves are actually just a repeat of the 2 just above, so you can play easily with the non-drinking hand.

#2915197 - 03/15/18 01:14 PM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: theGman]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Split button sounds like the "transpose button" discussion with the same outcome...if you don't like it, don't use it.

I'm not arguing against having split functions, I recognize how useful they can be, and I think it would be nice if the VC had one. But more so than transpose buttons, split functions do tend to add a bit more complication to a board. Obviously if you need it, this isn't the board for you, but it may be fine for others.

I was thinking about how split could be added to the VC with minimal impact on the existing interface/architecture. It can already layer, so the easiest approach would presumably be to allow you to take a pair of layered sounds and split them instead. By itself, I don't think that would add much complication, but it would also still be pretty limited, as the sounds have to be from different categories (i.e. you could only have some combination of one organ sound, one piano sound, one EP sound, one key/layer sound). But okay, it's something (and not so different from the limitations of assorted Hammonds and Nords). But now that you're splitting, you might want to change the octaves of at least one of the sounds, so you need some mechanism/interface by which to do that, another complication. And I think most players are probably in the same camp as you re: "I don't split on the fly; they are pre-programmed." Since the board only supports 16 saved scenes (user presets), there's not much space for saving splits. So while I agree it would have been nice to have the option to have even some limited split function, it might be hard to maintain the direct simplicity of design while giving enough split functionality for people who rely on splits to be happy. But who knows, maybe they'll add at least some basic way to split a layer in a software update...

#2919497 - 04/05/18 05:05 PM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: Brad Kaenel]
Brad Kaenel Offline
Gold Member

So, Adan, you're definitely right. It seems like the Sequenz stands provided with the Grandstage models are "stock", but the Continental's stand is not -- the bottom strut is a custom width, so the stock parts don't fit..

Fortunately, though, the tiers themselves can be easily disassembled...

I got the "Large" tier and cut it down to size. The poles themselves (removed from the endcaps) were 56" -- they needed to be 52" to match the custom length that came with the Continental. Easy hacksaw cut on the hollow aluminum.

Now I have a two-tier stand that can hold both the Continental 73 and my Forte 7. thu

#2919500 - 04/05/18 05:31 PM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: Brad Kaenel]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Now I have a two-tier stand that can hold both the Continental 73 and my Forte 7. thu

Nice rig, Brad. thu
davedoerfler

#2919501 - 04/05/18 05:35 PM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: davedoerfler]
burningbusch Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Ghost Planet
What I really like about those stands is that the height and angle of both tiers appear to be completely adjustable. Is that the case?

Busch.

#2919538 - 04/05/18 09:57 PM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: burningbusch]
analogman1 Offline
Gold Member

Loc: UNITED STATES
Question regarding the "Sequenz Stand" which is supplied...if you purchased a second tier, could you position the bottom keyboard close enough to simulate a 2 manual organ?

#2919541 - 04/05/18 10:20 PM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: analogman1]
Adan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

The tiers are completely adjustable for height and angle. This allows you to get 2 keyboards very close to each other. Note however that if you have 2 tiers, the bottom one will be too low to play from a standing position.

roccoromanucci.com

#2919593 - 04/06/18 06:51 AM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: Adan]
teashea Offline

The best thing to do with that stand is to just throw it away - I did not even open mine up - of course that is just my opinion.

#2922197 - 04/18/18 02:15 PM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: Adan]
Brad Kaenel Offline
Gold Member

Gear spotting: First Vox Continental I've seen in the wild -- the keyboard player in the American Idol band had the 61-key perched atop his Wurlie this week...

#2922292 - 04/19/18 05:12 AM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: Brad Kaenel]
teashea Offline

There are a couple new videos on YT - I continue to really like mine.

#2928457 - 05/22/18 05:47 AM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: teashea]
DimitrisPl Offline

Guyz what about the organ tunes?Are you satisfied with CX-3 machine?And of course can you compare it to Nord's one?

#2928479 - 05/22/18 08:18 AM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: Brad Kaenel]
davedoerfler Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: teashea
The best thing to do with that stand is to just throw it away

the keyboard player in the American Idol band had the 61-key perched atop his Wurlie this week...

Tom was right. wink

I would love to have one of these to set upon my Wurlitzer but my purchase requisition was rejected by my finance dep't.
davedoerfler

#2928511 - 05/22/18 10:13 AM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: AnotherScott]
synthizen2 Offline
Gold Member

Loc: USA

I'm not arguing against having split functions, I recognize how useful they can be, and I think it would be nice if the VC had one. But more so than transpose buttons, split functions do tend to add a bit more complication to a board. Obviously if you need it, this isn't the board for you, but it may be fine for others.

I was thinking about how split could be added to the VC with minimal impact on the existing interface/architecture. It can already layer, so the easiest approach would presumably be to allow you to take a pair of layered sounds and split them instead. By itself, I don't think that would add much complication, but it would also still be pretty limited, as the sounds have to be from different categories (i.e. you could only have some combination of one organ sound, one piano sound, one EP sound, one key/layer sound). But okay, it's something (and not so different from the limitations of assorted Hammonds and Nords). But now that you're splitting, you might want to change the octaves of at least one of the sounds, so you need some mechanism/interface by which to do that, another complication. And I think most players are probably in the same camp as you re: "I don't split on the fly; they are pre-programmed." Since the board only supports 16 saved scenes (user presets), there's not much space for saving splits. So while I agree it would have been nice to have the option to have even some limited split function, it might be hard to maintain the direct simplicity of design while giving enough split functionality for people who rely on splits to be happy. But who knows, maybe they'll add at least some basic way to split a layer in a software update...

In conventional "ROMplerSpeak", splits and layers belong to a memory location called PERFORMANCES or COMBIS or SCENES, etc.

If you want a single sound, then you go to the simpler PROGRAMS or PATCHES memory location.

Although the actual programming and menu-diving can be a little complicated, having things set up in this way is easy to understand. You want a single sound, select a PROGRAM. You want a split or layer, select a PERFORMANCE which contains two or more PROGRAMS that can be played in certain zones on the keybed (depending on how you programmed it).

After having taken the ability to split or layer AWAY from certain pro boards, manufacturers are now trying to shoe-horn the concept back in. But they are causing confusion. Now they come up with 14 different ways to "create a split", making things confusing all over again, when I think they had this problem/concept solved decades ago.

#2933713 - 06/19/18 06:14 PM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: Brad Kaenel]
Brad Kaenel Offline
Gold Member

Made a Quick Reference Card for the VC (MS Excel; see sheet tabs)

Download a copy here: https://1drv.ms/x/s!AiV6RuhHUZ0QgYQ3lkwlFyQfuWq6Nw

Depending on your browser, you might just have to copy-paste the link, to get it to download...

#2933724 - 06/19/18 06:53 PM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: synthizen2]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: synthizen2
In conventional "ROMplerSpeak", splits and layers belong to a memory location called PERFORMANCES or COMBIS or SCENES, etc.

If you want a single sound, then you go to the simpler PROGRAMS or PATCHES memory location.

Although the actual programming and menu-diving can be a little complicated, having things set up in this way is easy to understand. You want a single sound, select a PROGRAM. You want a split or layer, select a PERFORMANCE which contains two or more PROGRAMS that can be played in certain zones on the keybed (depending on how you programmed it).

After having taken the ability to split or layer AWAY from certain pro boards, manufacturers are now trying to shoe-horn the concept back in. But they are causing confusion. Now they come up with 14 different ways to "create a split", making things confusing all over again, when I think they had this problem/concept solved decades ago.

The thing is, not everyone wants to program at all. These "newfangled approaches" are often about being able to grab sounds on the fly, with no advance-of-gig pre-programming. Maybe someone doesn't have the time, or the interest, or is in a band that doesn't work from a known, easily manageable song list. Sometimes you may just want to grab sound X on one part of the keyboard, and while playing, call up sound Y on another part (or layer), and that's what these alternate approaches may try to facilitate.

#2954696 - 10/26/18 10:21 AM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: AnotherScott]
ShadowMan Offline

Very interested in one of these.

Any users have any idea if I could midi map my Voce drawbars to use with the Continental?

Now that would be killer!!

Edited by ShadowMan (10/26/18 10:22 AM)
Edit Reason: typo!

#2954770 - 10/26/18 05:07 PM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: ShadowMan]
Brad Kaenel Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: ShadowMan
Any users have any idea if I could midi map my Voce drawbars to use with the Continental?

According to the "MIDI Setting Guide", the touch controllers (i.e. the organ drawbars) respond to CC#102-CC#110. See p.11

VoxAmps.com support page (Select "Vox Continental" from the dropdown)

If your Voce drawbars can be programmed to transmit those CC#s with the correct range of data values, then I would say, 'yes', it's possible.

#2954787 - 10/26/18 08:07 PM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: Brad Kaenel]
ShadowMan Offline

Thank you Brad!

Thinking a Midi Event Processor might be the trick to handle the mapping. If I can work this out, I will definitely look to drop the hammer on the Vox.

#2959883 - 11/27/18 01:21 AM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: teashea]
Doc_T Offline

Hi teashea,

you write that you removed the 'Brit' badge from the VC. Is this easily doable? Does it leave any marks on the housing?

Thanks

Doc_T

#2960988 - 12/03/18 02:03 AM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: Doc_T]
Doc_T Offline

To answer my own question: Yes, you can remove the badge. It is glued with some tape to the housing that can carefully be lifted and be removed. However the badge sits in two holes that hold two pins that are on the backside of the badge. frown

So, either the most ugly badge in the universe on your board or two holes, you can choose. ok, I will (have to) get used to it.Not sure what the better option is yet...

Beside that the board is a gem. The keybed is amazing. Very fast but also very responsive to articulation for the pianos. Can't wait to play my first gig with it.

#2960993 - 12/03/18 02:54 AM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: Adan]
Doc_T Offline

I'm finding the touch sensors don't work so well for filter cutoff and resonance, too steppy. That's a disappointment. But the synth section is pretty basic anyway, not intended as a substitute for even a simple VA.

I can not second that. I have measured the midi messages from the touchstrips and they are not steppy at all. All 128 values get recognized and sent when you move your finger slowly across the bar. So if you think that MIDI is steppy - and it is compared to an analog knob on an analog synth - than I get your point. But the amount of control it offers for the synth sounds is great imo. And they send midi. I'll use that to control the drawbars of the gallileo organ on my iPad (and other synth parameters).

I also think the organ may not be for everyones taste. It may be a good emulation of the CX-3 which I can not verify since I do not know what to compare to (I don't have a CX-3). I can only compare it to other (software) Hammond clones and my T500. It definately does not sound like a B3 or a Hammond at all. Not for you if you want a Hammond. But definately still a good organ in its own right.

#2961289 - 12/04/18 03:10 PM Re: new Vox Continental - Some thoughts [Re: Doc_T]
Doc_T Offline

One thing that is really great and fun is the analog synth (model) engine thing that is in it. *All* the lead synth sounds are so well sounding in my ears and so much fun to be played with the pitchbender. And the synth controls with the touchbars is so absolutely emediate and easy to use that I stopped to miss the (missing) modulation wheel since you can control the LFO just with a stroke on the touchstrip. The cutoff/resonance can be really biting and you got a portamento switch. Much control to shape your sound.

I read the complaints about the *only* 16 scenes that can be saved. I think its fair to say that this means 16 (user) presets in each category - organ, e-pianao, a-piano and "other", which would make up 64 custom presets. Still not much nowadays but for me enough for all setlists I have played over the years.

I'll go with the holes in my housing until I have found another more appropriate badge to glue over them. Still I think that the worst thing of the board is this dog badge. Its like hanging Santa Claus a sign around his neck that reads "Santa Claus". Must be a Japanese thing - if they only had asked their western customers or just made it removable. The board would be so good looking with just a plain orange corner where this dog (or holes) sit now... really this is too bad.

And I want an editor for all this nice stuff that is going on under the hood.

Edited by Doc_T (12/04/18 03:18 PM)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner