Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Big Photography Thread

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At first glance, I thought that said kanker's wedding. ;) Those shots could have been taken by a pro, Mike. Nice job. You could start charging money.

In fact, most of you in this thread could! :thu:

I took a quick peek at the photos, and they really do look like a seasoned wedding photographer took them, I think.

That's exactly what I thought.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

This thread is both intimidating and inspiring for someone like me who is trying to get better.

Don't be intimidated at all. I started doing this less than 4 years ago. Mind you I had a lot of 35mm experience from my high school years but digital allows you to shoot and shoot and shoot until you get it right. You learn with each picture you take.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

This thread is both intimidating and inspiring for someone like me who is trying to get better.

Don't be at all. I started doing this less than 4 years ago. Mind you I had a lot of 35mm experience from my high school years but digital allows you to shoot and shoot and shoot until you get it right. You learn with each picture you take.

What Mike said. I find that I take more risks and get more adventurous with digital. When the camera can do a bit of the thinking for me, I can concentrate on composition. If you have a photo in your head and you're not sure how to pull it off, dig in your camera's manual and search online. It's often easier than it seems.

www.wjwcreative.com

www.linkedin.com/in/wjwilcox

Love it so much Ken.

We have had lot's of rain , and this sprang up in the garden a couple of days ago :)

20869751450_005e5933b4_b.jpgIzzys birthday , speed show , sunflower 094 by Brett Palmer, on Flickr

21057864105_3b11e71d16_b.jpgIzzys birthday , speed show , sunflower 092 by Brett Palmer, on Flickr

LOL Brett!! :roll:

Funniest photos I've seen for a while. Your sunflower wouldn't look out of place on top of a helicopter....... :D

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

Gorgeous photo xKnuckles.

Thank you so much Mike! :)

Here is a photo taken on the shore of the Isle of Barra, far North of Scotland. :)

Very nice! Just the name of the location makes it a more exotic photo...at least to a former Joisey boy.

Thanks Bill! :) Totally exotic - and totally FREEZING!! (I seem to remember that I was wearing a ski jacket & gloves whilst taking that photo (in June)....

Here is a photo taken on the shore of the Isle of Barra, far North of Scotland. :)

20370004133_7669e72f40_b.jpgPre-twilight flowers by Anne, on Flickr

Very nice composition and execution. I want to try this if I ever find the perfect spot.

Thank you so very much Rabid. I guess I had better come clean and mention that the inspiration for this attempt was Mike's "Prairie Sunset Flowers", which I think is a perfect photo and one I simply cannot look at enough. :)

And me.......but mostly inspiring! And full of information.....and all sorts of ideas for thing I would like to try......... :love:

Don't be at all. I started doing this less than 4 years ago. Mind you I had a lot of 35mm experience from my high school years but digital allows you to shoot and shoot and shoot until you get it right. You learn with each picture you take.

Only 4 years!! :o That's amazing! I had assumed that you had been doing it all your life!

Agreed.

I had some 35mm experience, but not a lot, always using the presets or auto controls.

The thing now is that there is soooo much cool information online, you can experiment with digital cameras without spending a fortune in film and processing, and you can find subjects to shoot so much easier now. You just need to get out there and do it.

I've only been shooting seriously for about 3-4 years as well. I found some kinds of photography that really resonated with me, and then have been chipping away at it, trying to get better and better, continually going out there and taking photos.

When I give a long exposure/night photo workshop, I will end by showing a slide that says, "TONIGHT ALL OF US WILL CREATE PHOTOS THAT SUCK."

This is not something to get hung up on. This is our privilege. We can experiment, create something that sucks....and delete it.

Create lots of stuff that sucks.

Then learn from it.

And delete it.

What Mike said. I find that I take more risks and get more adventurous with digital. When the camera can do a bit of the thinking for me, I can concentrate on composition. If you have a photo in your head and you're not sure how to pull it off, dig in your camera's manual and search online. It's often easier than it seems.

Photography blogs, Youtube videos, Lynda.com, and more are your friends. There are so many ways to figure out how to do something. It's all about having fun, learning, and practicing...and having fun.

Fun.

You could learn a lot in this thread. See a photo you like? Ask how it was created. Ask HOW. And WHY.

When I give a long exposure/night photo workshop, I will end by showing a slide that says, "TONIGHT ALL OF US WILL CREATE PHOTOS THAT SUCK."

This is not something to get hung up on. This is our privilege. We can experiment, create something that sucks....and delete it.

Create lots of stuff that sucks.

Then learn from it.

And delete it.

THIS...is the most awesome thing ever!

-Mike Martin

Casio

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Only 4 years!! :o That's amazing! I had assumed that you had been doing it all your life!

I shot 35mm film in junior high and high school. My dad was into photography, we had the same cameras and we'd go out shooting together. I was into both music and photography at the time. I took some photography classes in school, learned some basic darkroom stuff, all the basics. Just before my junior year of high school we moved from NJ (about 6 miles from where I work now) to Ohio. My new high school didn't have a photography program but they had a great music program and so music became my area of focus (pun intended). Although I kept all my camera gear from those days and still have it today, I just got away from it.

I can truthfully say that it was the iPhone that inspired me to get back into photography, that and Casio who made some incredible point and shoot cameras when I started working here. Eventually I outgrew both the iPhone and the Casio cameras. I wanted to shoot some things mostly for the purpose of marketing Casio's new keyboard products so I bought a refurbished Canon T2i just about 4 years ago. I think I'm near 50,000 photos.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Not a blog but a forum like our beloved Keyboard Corner.

http://photography-on-the.net

This used to be a Canon only site but they've opened it up to just about everything now. What I love is that you're able to see examples of just about every lens and camera combination you can imagine. Seeing other peoples photos with my camera and lenses has been such a learning tool and allowed me to see what is possible.

The www.improvephotography.com website also has a ton of articles.

Tons of stuff on Youtube like Tony Northrup's page:

https://www.youtube.com/user/VistaClues/videos

The TWIP team that I mentioned above does everything on Youtube as well.

Now that I've started to get into lighting gear (for portraits and such) I'm into just about every DIY article I can find. Pro lighting gear is crazy expensive and I'll never afford it. I've some inexpensive (and good) speedlights (flashes) and some remote triggers but lighting also adds a whole new level of complexity to everything. Still learning.

And then there is this:

[video:youtube]

-Mike Martin

Casio

Love it so much Ken.

We have had lot's of rain , and this sprang up in the garden a couple of days ago :)

20869751450_005e5933b4_b.jpgIzzys birthday , speed show , sunflower 094 by Brett Palmer, on Flickr

21057864105_3b11e71d16_b.jpgIzzys birthday , speed show , sunflower 092 by Brett Palmer, on Flickr

LOL Brett!! :roll:

Funniest photos I've seen for a while. Your sunflower wouldn't look out of place on top of a helicopter....... :D

:D , Nice friendly lady was walking down the street and spotted mine on the garage roof (I made 20 years ago) and asked nicely if I could make/sell her one too :).

So it goes to it's new happy home this weekend , made for a song :D

Brett

startrails-horses-27min-30sf28iso400-960px.jpg

It is raining stars in the California desert! 27 minute star trails, showing the perceived movement of the stars due to the rotation of the earth. More info in captions. Thanks!