Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Big Photography Thread

Ken, I Am loving your Grand Canyon photos! Just stunning!

Cool, thanks! That's such a great place. The first two times I was ever at GC, I was only there for an hour or two, a quick stop on the way to somewhere else. This time, I went with the intent on staying there for a while. And it's worth it. I could easily spend a week or two there.

And now....uh, here's a selfie....of, uh, the two of us on our road trip. :D This is near Tucson, AZ.

7334kenlee-2015-07-07-0243_arizona-saguaros-selfie-milkyway-15sf28iso2500-1000px.jpg

Aha!! What happened Ken? Did you get carried away when using the clone tool? :D

The three of us really look alike, I'd say. Well, you can't see the other one. He's the one taking the photo. Wow. Anyway, cool. Triplets! Triplets who always dress exactly alike!!! ;):D

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW...there must be something in the air of this group this week... ..... I joined 500px quite a while ago, so that I could view & "like" other people's photos. A few days ago I though I might as well upload some of my own pics. I just uploaded my 6th picture and within no time it appeared on the "upcoming" page. :) I am sure this is no big deal (I don't really understand the site yet), but as my first and only photographic achievement I have to admit that it does feel pretty nice. Thought I had better grab the opportunity to mention it in now case it never happens again....

Congrats! It's a lovely image - makes me want to visit Scotland!

And yes, there is definitely something in air this past week - one of my photos made it into Explore on flickr, and has racked up more faves and views than any other picture I've taken.

If you folks don't mind amateurs:

I'm no photographer, but I always liked this shot.

Cool shot Steve! Everyone is welcome in this thread, even prolific studio musicians :D

BTW...there must be something in the air of this group this week... ..... I joined 500px quite a while ago, so that I could view & "like" other people's photos. A few days ago I though I might as well upload some of my own pics. I just uploaded my 6th picture and within no time it appeared on the "upcoming" page. :) I am sure this is no big deal (I don't really understand the site yet), but as my first and only photographic achievement I have to admit that it does feel pretty nice. Thought I had better grab the opportunity to mention it in now case it never happens again....

Congrats! It's a lovely image - makes me want to visit Scotland!

Thanks Richie :)

And yes, there is definitely something in air this past week - one of my photos made it into Explore on flickr, and has racked up more faves and views than any other picture I've taken.

Congratulations - that is brilliant news! I had a look at your photo - really good! (Actually, I did not know anything about the "explore" page on Flickr - so am pleased to have heard about it like this). :)

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

I have recently had my first go at long exposure photography (..... Ken, this is all because of you! .... ;) ...... ) I have got an app which will allow for a shutter speed of 3 or 10 seconds. The photo is not particularly special, but I would like to share it as it is my first attempt at this. I didn't have a tripod so I set it on 3 seconds, imagined I was a bored bass player, and breathed out slowly whilst taking the pic. It came out much better than I would have expected, and I love the result. Looking forward to doing lots & lots more of this in the future. Thanks Ken!! :)

Here is the "before" pic....

url=https://flic.kr/p/wxFYN5]20049314840_a46557a0e1_b.jpg[/url]Fast shutter speed by Anne, on Flickr

And here it is again with the 3 second exposure.....

url=https://flic.kr/p/vTrfCT]19616414603_c9618da866_b.jpg[/url]Slow shutter speed by Anne, on Flickr

Cheers guys! :) The really cool thing is that - as you can see - there was hardly any water in that little stream. You could have probably waded across barefoot and not got the tops of your feet wet..... and yet it still made such a huge difference. I cannot wait to have a go with a proper waterfall (although unfortunately they are in extremely short supply round here. ) Think I shall have to either go to the seaside next or run a bath.....

Cool. The more motion in the water, the greater the "misty" effect (unless the water is otherwise static, like a faucet). Waterfalls and oceans and fairly active brooks, especially ones going around and over stones, are particularly noticeable.

Thanks Bill & Joe. :) Thanks for the tips Bill - very helpful. Funnily enough, we have had amazingly lovely weather so far this year, but I purposely chose a cloudy day as I liked the contrast between the yellow and the clouds. In fact, I often try to avoid taking pictures on sunny days (which doesn't usually prove too difficult ;-) ) as I generally find cloudy days more interesting. It didn't occur to me that this might be the problem. I shall try again next year when the sun is shining. :-)

Overcast days can be alright, depending on how the light is going. If you shoot when the sun is out, the usual morning and late afternoon are often best, as the angle of the sun can add depth that a noon day summer sun might not offer.

6739kenlee-2015_arizona-bedrockcity-fredshouse-lightpainting-225sf8iso200-2015-07-01-0057-3850k-1000px.jpg

Willlllllllllmaaaaaaaaa!!!!!

Yabba Dabba Doooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Night time photography with "light painting". As usual, all illumination and color work is done during the exposure, and is not a post-processing creation.

Congratulations - that is brilliant news! I had a look at your photo - really good! (Actually, I did not know anything about the "explore" page on Flickr - so am pleased to have heard about it like this). :)

Thank you! It's funny, I don't think there's anything really extra special image, yet somehow it caught the attention of the mysterious algorithm that brings photos into explore. Whatever, I'll take it!

And, I had another image Explored just this past weekend. Whatever is in the air is still lingering!

I didn't have a tripod so I set it on 3 seconds, imagined I was a bored bass player, and breathed out slowly whilst taking the pic. It came out much better than I would have expected, and I love the result. Looking forward to doing lots & lots more of this in the future. Thanks Ken!! :)

You shot that handheld? Amazing! I'll have to try the "bored bass player" technique myself!

Awesome pics everybody! I am inspired to try my hand at some of this.

Happy to advise on any questions you may have Bobby!

And lovely colorful shots as usual, Bill!

6358kenlee-2015-06_arizona-grandcanyon-desertview-threepeople-storm-bw-flat.png

I lose track of what I've posted here, but I don't think I posted this photo of the Grand Canyon, with three people transfixed by an incoming storm.

I have recently had my first go at long exposure photography (..... Ken, this is all because of you! .... ;) ...... ) I have got an app which will allow for a shutter speed of 3 or 10 seconds. The photo is not particularly special, but I would like to share it as it is my first attempt at this. I didn't have a tripod so I set it on 3 seconds, imagined I was a bored bass player, and breathed out slowly whilst taking the pic. It came out much better than I would have expected, and I love the result. Looking forward to doing lots & lots more of this in the future. Thanks Ken!! :)

I've been traveling and taking photos quite a bit, so haven't been able to answer in greater detail. But anyway, you are definitely welcome!!!!!!!

What many of us love about long exposure photography is that, besides being a lot of fun to do, it's fascinating how it displays movement in one frame, and how photos can take on a different feel, emotion, or resonance due to that motion. Oceans or waterfalls can become softer and more sensuous in feel with long exposures, clouds smear and show action and can frame foregrounds exquisitely, stars can trail and add a sense of timelessness, lights trail or smear, one can "light paint" and illuminate something during the exposure like a movie set, and on and on. And what is cool about it is that it can engage the photographer more and become even more of an active participant. More than before, you are planning and creating an image, and connecting with what is going on around you.

6841kenlee-2015-07-02-2344_arizona-sedona-chapelofholycross-lightpainting-30sf28iso400-3850k-1000px.jpg

I had some cruddy weather when I was in Sedona, Arizona, but managed to still get a decent photo of the Chapel of the Holy Cross. This was totally not the sort of night photo I was hoping for. In fact, I was hoping to get some star trails shots, among other things. But the weather was insanely cloudy with some rain, so I took when I was given.

6778kenlee-2015-07-01-0349_arizona-bedrockcity-spookytree-lightpainting-195f8iso200-3850k-1000px.jpg

This tree took on a whole spooky resonance at night. I accentuated that by sort of back-lighting it. It's not truly back-lit, but somewhat approaches that.

Flintstones, meet the Flintstones! Bedrock City is a roadside attraction on the way to the Grand Canyon in Arizona. Roadside attractions were built as "tourist traps" with gift shops and things to do for kids, a place where a family could rest after a long drive on the way to somewhere. Built in 1972, Bedrock City was modeled after "The Flintstones" cartoon from the 1960s. And Bedrock City still survives. For now. Owner Linda Speckels is selling it for $2 million to someone who will keep Bedrock City operating. Bedrock City has a Fredmobile train ride looping through Mt. St. Wilma (a volcano). The Bedrock Theater plays Flintstones cartoons with the audio broadcast over loudspeakers. There's a campsite, diner, convenience store, and a large gift shop. And of course, there is Bedrock City, built to resemble the stone age town of Bedrock from the cartoon "The Flintstones". Will it be here in a year? Who knows.

All illumination and color work was done during the exposure, and is not a Photoshop creation (as usual).

6772kenlee-2015-07-01-0311_arizona-bedrockcity-bambam-dinosaur-lightpainting-202f8iso200-1000px.jpg

Bam Bam, Bam Bam Bam!!!!!!

Info on the Flintstone's Bedrock City is the same as the post above. But this one, due to the subject matter and lighting, takes on a more playful, whimsical, comical feel.

Thanks Bill & Joe. :) Thanks for the tips Bill - very helpful. Funnily enough, we have had amazingly lovely weather so far this year, but I purposely chose a cloudy day as I liked the contrast between the yellow and the clouds. In fact, I often try to avoid taking pictures on sunny days (which doesn't usually prove too difficult ;-) ) as I generally find cloudy days more interesting. It didn't occur to me that this might be the problem. I shall try again next year when the sun is shining. :-)

Overcast days can be alright, depending on how the light is going. If you shoot when the sun is out, the usual morning and late afternoon are often best, as the angle of the sun can add depth that a noon day summer sun might not offer.

Cheers Ken :)

You had not posted that grand canyon pic before....and they have all been utterly superb so I am hoping you will find some more to post..... :).

Amazing flintstones pics. First dinosaurs, then these.....do I detect a theme? ... ;)

Thank you! It's funny, I don't think there's anything really extra special image, yet somehow it caught the attention of the mysterious algorithm that brings photos into explore. Whatever, I'll take it!

And, I had another image Explored just this past weekend. Whatever is in the air is still lingering!

Further congratulations!! ( and deep breaths.... ;) )

I didn't have a tripod so I set it on 3 seconds, imagined I was a bored bass player, and breathed out slowly whilst taking the pic. It came out much better than I would have expected, and I love the result. Looking forward to doing lots & lots more of this in the future. Thanks Ken!! :)

[You shot that handheld? Amazing! I'll have to try the "bored bass player" technique myself!

:D I have never (until very recently) owned a tripod, so have been working at trying to achieve a steady hand for years. I definitely find that holding my breath is a bad idea, but breathing out slowly seems to help me. Of course it is a terrible idea not to use a tripod for these slow pics, I realise, and next time I take some I shall hopefully see about doing it a bit more properly. :).. .....

You had not posted that grand canyon pic before....and they have all been superb so far, so if you have any more I look forward to seeing them. :).

Amazing flintstones pics. First dinosaurs, then these.....a theme seems to be developing... :)

Oh cool, thanks!!!!

Yes, dinosaurs. And The Flintstones.

And old airplanes and cars, rocks, trees, canyons, lakes, Joshua Trees, mountains, forests, pine trees, stars, the Milky Way, Star Wars/Star Trek stuff, traditional homes, castles, and on and on....

Regarding tripods, a decent cheap one if your camera is not too heavy and you are not taking super long photos is the Joby Gorillapod. Its legs wrap around all sorts of stuff, as a bonus, so you can attach it to tree branches or railings or whatever. I've shot stuff for as long as 10 seconds without an issue. It's not so great if you have a really heavy camera, which I now do, or you are doing ten seconds or more because it does move a bit over time, or at least, it's more likely to. But a lot of the waterfall photos I've taken in the past have been done with this.