Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Big Photography Thread

Firstly , the woodpecker (especially) looks like a stuffed dead thing out of someones attic.

When weasels attack , they sink these teeth into the neck of their prey and hang on like a dog with a bone > http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_0SFysZh3Drs/SJCQsQ_yIBI/AAAAAAAAAIM/Ry3J6b8tuIg/s400/+weasel+teeth+2463.JPG

And the BBC?? :D ......won't say anymore about them.

Brett

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly , the woodpecker (especially) looks like a stuffed dead thing out of someones attic.

When weasels attack , they sink these teeth into the neck of their prey and hang on like a dog with a bone > http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_0SFysZh3Drs/SJCQsQ_yIBI/AAAAAAAAAIM/Ry3J6b8tuIg/s400/+weasel+teeth+2463.JPG

Brett

Hmmmmmmmmm........interesting, but I am not entirely convinced....... The weasel must be hanging on in the manner you suggest, or he would have fallen off. I wonder what other people think ......... The pic still looks genuine to me, but It is entirely possible that I am extremely gullible...........One thing I do know: should I ever visit your part of the world, I will stay well clear of your attic! ;)

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

Brett

Hmmmmmmmmm........interesting, but I am not entirely convinced....... The weasel must be hanging on in the manner you suggest, or he would have fallen off. I wonder what other people think ......... The pic still looks genuine to me, but It is entirely possible that I am extremely gullible...........One thing I do know: should I ever visit your part of the world, I will stay well clear of your attic! ;)

We won't go near the attic , there are 6" spiders in there.

I will pick you up from the airport , and take you on a cool tiki tour to see the golden rivet :D......

Mike W. , experts have said it's another shop job , and I have zoomed into the picture myself and seen the weird grainyness around the edges of the bird and weasel - which is NOT hanging on for dear life or attacking with it's jaws holding tight.

Brett

These next two photos - of cress - may not be the most thrilling, but they are exciting to me as they mark my entry into the world of macro photography. I have managed to get hold of some lenses for my iPhone (olloclip ones). There is a wide angle, fish eye & two macro lenses. Obviously not going to approach the results which you guys get on your cameras, but they make the possibilities open to me now explode. :)

16716756061_0caaab1b04_b.jpgCress #1 by xxKnuckles, on Flickr

16510758007_109dfe3e9e_b.jpgCress #2 by xxKnuckles, on Flickr

Great ones Bill!

Anne, I got some of those attachments for my iPhone too. I expect I'll be using the Fisheye and the Macro. Quite fun. Nice pictures.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

http://www.elevenshadows.com/travels/goldfield-carforest-goldpoint-bristleconeforest-carma-2014-07/images-goldfield-carforest-goldpoint-bristlecone/3149-2014-07-10-2241-235sf8iso500-goldfieldsubway-kenlee_goldfieldnevada-960px.jpg

Can't remember what I've posted here anymore, but here's one I took last summer. I illuminated the interior of these former subway entrances, looking rather Dr. Who-like, with blue light during the exposure of the photo.

So beautiful, Ken. As to what you have posted before.......who cares!! I never get tired of looking at your photos so please repost them as often as you like! :)

Thank you Mike & Brett. :) Delighted to hear that you also have the olloclip lenses, Mike - makes me doubly glad I bought them. I particularly like the design of them - cleverly thought out so you won't accidentally lose one; and think the way they clip onto the pendant is genius.

I spent the weekend in NJ near Casio HQ, so I had a weekend away from home and family. I took advantage of the time and took lots of pictures.

16551151098_676ae1dda3_b.jpg

Manhattan Moonrise by Mike M Martin, on Flickr

16136134414_e46bdf8a91_b.jpg

Tufted Titmouse by Mike M Martin, on Flickr

Many more bird shots if you follow the Flickr link.

16136184854_317afdbecd_b.jpg

Red Mill Museum by Mike M Martin, on Flickr

-Mike Martin

Casio

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

I had another go at taking some macro shots of some tiny flowers - outdoors this time. I used a tripod, and waited till the wind died down, but they were hopelessly out of focus..... Also, the depth of field which is in focus seems incredibly shallow, so that even though the flowers were tiny, there seemed little hope of getting them in focus. Are there any adjustments which I could make to help with focussing more precisely and over a slightly deeper area? I have a manual camera app (but I think it cannot control the size of the aperture, which I suspect may be what most needs doing?...)

Any suggestions would be most welcome. I suspect that macro photography is going to be about 100 times harder to get good results with than I had thought - and I expected it to be extremely difficult.......

Macro photography will have an extremely low depth of field. On a camera you'd increase the aperture on a mobile device you won't be able to do that.

-Mike Martin

Casio

So beautiful, Ken. As to what you have posted before.......who cares!! I never get tired of looking at your photos so please repost them as often as you like! :)

Well, I try and post new stuff whenever possible, photos I haven't posted before, but after all this time, I can no longer remember, so that's the way it goes. :D

Thanks for your kind words, and keep up the great photography.

Ok - thanks Mike..... That was what I had thought then. I expect I am trying to push the camera beyond its limits. Ah well, guess I will just have to make the most of what it CAN do - which, fortunately, is a lot more than it could do before. :)

I had another go at taking some macro shots of some tiny flowers - outdoors this time. I used a tripod, and waited till the wind died down, but they were hopelessly out of focus..... Also, the depth of field which is in focus seems incredibly shallow, so that even though the flowers were tiny, there seemed little hope of getting them in focus. Are there any adjustments which I could make to help with focussing more precisely and over a slightly deeper area? I have a manual camera app (but I think it cannot control the size of the aperture, which I suspect may be what most needs doing?...)

Any suggestions would be most welcome. I suspect that macro photography is going to be about 100 times harder to get good results with than I had thought - and I expected it to be extremely difficult.......

We're talking about the iPhone with the lens, right? The same one in which you took the Cress photo ( Cress #1), right? Those are amazing! I simply cannot believe how far iPhone photography has come. Those look great!

Outdoor macro shots are not easy. Most people who excel at it do so not only with a tripod, but often with clips that they attach to a branch or stalk of a plant that might sway slightly to hold them in place. These are the things that you often don't see. The very very very slight swaying might be enough to throw off the focus.

Added to that is what Mike mentioned. You might be able to stop down with an SLR or DSLR (in other words, decrease the aperture, or size of the opening that allows light to come in), but I don't think you can with an iPhone. This would make an enormous difference in what you are asking at the bottom of your post.

The wider (larger) your aperture, the shallower the depth of field. This can be a bit of an issue when doing photography like I do, night sky photography. On the one hand, if you are photographing the Milky Way, you want the aperture as wiiiiiiide as possible to try and have as much of that faint starlight register on your camera's sensor. On the other hand, this presents a bit of an issue sometimes because 1.) it makes it more challenging to focus because you really really have to nail the focus precisely, and 2.) if foreground elements are included in your shot and they are relatively close to your camera, they can be wildly out of focus.

And so it is with macro. You ideally would like to have a good amount of incoming light so you can use a relatively quick shutter speed so things don't sway as much, but at the same time, you might need to stop down a bit to get more in focus. It's a wrestling match of sorts, and there's not necessarily a right answer.

Focus stacking. A lot of macro photographers use focus stacking. This involves taking multiple photos of the same scene, but focusing on different elements, then blending them together in Photoshop or another photo editing program that uses layers. I don't use this technique, but then again, I don't do macro photography, and will sometimes stop down a bit to get more in focus, especially when doing things like "light painting". Or I'll try and get farther than about 25-30 feet from my subject. But it's an effective technique.

Here's a little more info on this:

http://petapixel.com/2014/07/19/focus-stacking-walkthroughs-will-help-take-macro-photography-next-level/

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/focus-stacking.htm

Ok - thanks Mike..... That was what I had thought then. I expect I am trying to push the camera beyond its limits. Ah well, guess I will just have to make the most of what it CAN do - which, fortunately, is a lot more than it could do before. :)

You CAN still push it beyond its limits if you use focus stacking. See my post above.

Ken! Thank you so much. Your explanation is a big help to me, full of useful Information & advice..... So much so that I have copied the entire thing for future reference. I will experiment with both the clips and the focus stacking.

Thanks also for your kind words about my humble cress. :)

Nice stuff, everyone!

Things have been going well in medium format land, I've got another batch of film due back from development any day now. I also have gotten some time back with my DSLR since I've been neglecting it for what seems like forever.

I've been hired to do a photoshoot for a friend and fellow musician. The past two weekends I've been going location scouting, which involves old abandoned places. Here are a few selections:

16489300248_6d225ccd8e_b.jpg

Light Seeking by rpantaleo, on Flickr

16078106524_8dc2f00ae2_b.jpg

Wrecktory by rpantaleo, on Flickr

16131001794_8a4a2ed6f3_b.jpg

Skylighting by rpantaleo, on Flickr