Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Big Photography Thread

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are some more pics of the Forth Rail bridge ...... and one of its next door neighbour, the Forth Road Bridge....

16581393669_5b2201d79f_b.jpgForth Rail Bridge by xxKnuckles, on Flickr

16741991236_a10df715b5_b.jpgHallucinating Under the Bridge by xxKnuckles, on Flickr

16767597235_fcff128fe9_b.jpgAbridged Houses by xxKnuckles, on Flickr

This one is the road bridge. The pic had a green orb, which I had a go at surgically removing...... :)

16766418241_f868df00d8_b.jpgForth Road Bridge by xxKnuckles, on Flickr

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

Up, up, up in the White Mountains of California exist a forest of trees that have flourished in the face of high, arid conditions at 11000 feet/3350 m in altitude. Many of these trees live for 5000 years, and even after dying, can remain for 5000 more years, remaining. In other words, it's quite possible that some trees have been standing for as long as 10000 years, long long before Mick Jagger roamed the earth. :D All light/color work was done by illuminating the tree and foreground with an LED flashlight during the exposure, and is not a post-processing creation.

Title: The Twisted Trunk of the Almighty Bristlecone (3610)

Photo: Ken Lee Photography

Info: Nikon D610, AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED lens at 14mm. All light/color work was done by illuminating the tree and foreground with an LED flashlight during the exposure, and is not a post-processing creation.

3610-kenlee_bristleconepineschulmangrove-2014-07-15-0217-117sf71iso800-flat.jpg

It takes *forever* for this wood to rot, it's so dense!!!!

It's dense because these pines grow reaaaaaaaaaaaaaally slooowwwwwwwwwwly, over thousands of years.

And that same density helps the tree stay upright long after it is no longer alive.

I wanted to give this tree a lot of dimension so it would seem like it was popping out of the photo and really be striking. I really really love these trees quite a bit and am fascinated by the whole bristlecone forest.

Also, if you look to the distance in the left, you can see the Sierra Nevada Mountain range, and some of them have snow and glaciers on the top.

Anyway, so glad you like it. Thanks!!!

I had the rare opportunity to be part of a group that was able to take photographs at the top of the John Hancock building at sunrise yesterday morning. The building has never been open to the public at this hour. Here are just a few of the shots.

16676228547_958ba500c9_b.jpg

Chicago by Mike M Martin, on Flickr

16882567551_9dfe5a12e7_b.jpg

16676236397_b8aa073526_b.jpg

16676230757_27c3f08ca5_b.jpg

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Personally, I prefer this location:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v700/miket156/DSCN0288.jpg

My favorites camping spot, Moshannon State Forest, Central PA. Peace and quiet, great view of the stars at night. Sometimes the sound of an owl or Whippoorwills. Serenity.

Cheers!

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Wow Mike!! , that top night shot especially is Stunning! , click on it twice to magnify it at Flickr - stone the crows!

Brett

Definitely! Crackin' shot!!!

Elvis Lives! he was at Whangamata N.Z this weekend at a big hotrod & bike show ....

16340344874_fd208693cd_b.jpg2015 Whangamata Beach hop 007 by brettymike, on Flickr

16962715235_ebc1f3e92f_b.jpg2015 Whangamata Beach hop 017 by brettymike, on Flickr

Our favorite bike ....

16775252330_4c8b46254b_b.jpg2015 Whangamata Beach hop 023 by brettymike, on Flickr

16775038368_f6f84174f8_b.jpg2015 Whangamata Beach hop 021 by brettymike, on Flickr

An awesome , mean , and unusual green machine .....

16962744895_d6e45e38e7_b.jpg2015 Whangamata Beach hop 066 by brettymike, on Flickr

Giant trike ....

16962753385_84d2c8bca3_b.jpg2015 Whangamata Beach hop 026 by brettymike, on Flickr

5920kenlee_borregosprings-2015-03-20-2313-4min-76mtotal-f4iso640-battlingdinosaurstartrails-lightpainted-flat.jpg

Night sky photography is BACK in my LIFE! :):)

I haven't taken night sky photos since August 2014, which feels like an eternity ago. Sometimes life is very challenging. And additionally, sometimes we wear out knees and they need surgery.

I did go up to Mt. Pinos a couple of days before my trip to Borrego Springs simply to practice even though the night was really overcast, just to "knock the rust off".

Satisfied I could still remember how to do night sky photography, my girlfriend and I drove to Borrego Springs, where Ricardo Breceda's brilliant metal sculptures of dinosaurs, borregos (bighorn sheep), and super rattledragons, photographing for two nights while no moon was visible, light painting and shooting mostly star trails. I fumbled longer than usual setting up the tripods and took longer than usual to sort out the details, but all in all, the process went fairly smoothly.

This is a star trails photo facing more or less east, showing the perceived movements of the stars over 76 minutes, and features two of Breceda's battling dinosaur sculptures. I illuminated the dinosaurs with a ProtoMachine LED2 during the exposure or they would have appeared as silhouettes. The dinosaur on the right appears to be emitting some sort of laser blast from its mouth. This is actually the light trail from an airplane. It's unusual that I leave these in, as I almost always clone them out. But the placement of this airplane trail struck me as funny, and I couldn't resist keeping it in! The glow in the distance is light pollution, probably from the houses and resorts about a mile or so beyond. I had only small issues with bending to adjust and view the camera, not bad considering I had surgery for a torn meniscus last month.

Ken Lee Photography on Facebook

Ken Lee Photography on Google+

Love that green Chevy!

I believe that's about a 1950 Ford Mercury , that has had it's body "tweaked" - along with engine etc.. It was absolutely awesome!. I couldn't get a decent picture of it because of rain at the time , the paint job was glorious.

Cool pic Ken!.

Thank you! It feels good to be able to walk around and do things again, and to get my life back in order! Looking forward to some cool photography "safaris" in the near future.

5856kenlee_borregosprings-2015-03-19-2037-15sf28iso4000-borregosilhouettemilkyway-2940-d610-850pxtall.jpg

I had wanted to photograph these for years, but something always happened. The first two times, I couldn't find the location. There would be people partying and firing off guns. The road and gate would be closed off. But this time, the night sky photography gods smiled upon me and said, "Yeah, sure, shoot unimpeded!"

This is a Milky Way photo facing more or less south, and features the silhouettes of two of Ricardo Breceda's amazing metal sculptures, these of bighorn sheep, or borregos.

Photo: Ken Lee Photography