Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Informal Drop In OT Thread

My Univox Hi-Flyer doesn't have side dots so I stuck on some of the glow in the dark ones. Problem is that on guitar I use my thumb a whole lot and in the heat the stick on dots slide around. Gonna have to get out the black nail polish. Or stop looking at the neck.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

I live 50 miles due west of Chgo. It's an hour ride into the city on a good day, but usually longer...sometimes as much as 2X longer...plus parking is expensive, etc., etc. So although there are many great bands that come through town, one has to first carefully weigh the hassle/enjoyment ratio.

On Oct 9, however, Victa will be playing at a community college only 15 miles up the road from me. And on the very same night, King's X, with all its dUg Pinnicky goodness, will be playing just 5 miles up the road from me. Of course, this is the same weekend that I'll be out of town. [sigh]

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

• 3 weeks later...
OK, so here at work the new guy says to about every customer on their way out the door, "Have a beautiful day."

I gag a little each time I hear it.

What should I do?

There's really not much you can do around the customers but with people like that, providing they are not elderly is use outdated terms around them until they get the hint.

Nifty

Keen

Swell

Mm-AR-velous

The bees knees

Righteous

Neet-O

Or instead of saying "have a nice weekend" to him you can substitute "I hope you don't get run over" (credit: George Carlin).

They won't get it, but it always kept my insanity in check.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

use outdated terms around them until they get the hint.

Good idea, but it will fall on deaf ears 'cause this fella lives a bit too far on the left side of the bell curve. He's a real outlier.....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
OK, so here at work the new guy says to about every customer on their way out the door, "Have a beautiful day."

OK. So the same fella now tries to high-five me each and every time we pass. Really. In a medical office.

OK. So the same fella now tries to high-five me each and every time we pass. Really. In a medical office.

I'd have to say that's significantly worse.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

I just got back from a weekend trip to Wash DC. The rally was way cool; more people than I've ever seen in my life. The news did not do justice to the #'s of people there. And not just young people. Lots of old people. But the limiting factor wasn't the people; it was that the Metro just couldn't bring any more people in. All cars were jam packed at 9:45 at the Strathmore stop on the red line, which is three or four stops from the end of that line. And more than two hours after the event, we gave up and had dinner in D.C. 'cause we still couldn't get on a train to go home. During the rally, even 7th Avenue was totally totally packed as far as the eye could see. Wonder how many people ended up pissing their pants. It's like you just couldn't move. Great fun!

The people of D.C. are just the nicest people in the world. We didn't come across a single surly person. OK, so I only found one Kandinsky in the museums. But I can live with that, 'cause there were tons of Picasso's, Monet's and bunch of other dead people's work. Really, though: Just nice and helpful people, even after the rally when the restaurant people did have a right to be at least a little crabby; they were tired but still had a smile that wasn't an act... Not like Ithaca.

OK, so the Metro. I've done subways all over, but never one where you paid more for a longer ride, and more for rush hours (which I thankfully didn't have to deal with); as such, you really are paying for the ride when you exit instead of when you enter. That's F'd up, right? So here's the tip: at first, put just a couple dollars on your Metro card. This will get you onto the train, and basically tells their computer where you got on the train. Then on the way out, slide your card in the separate kiosk will tell you how much more you need to put on the card in order to leave the subway. Put that much on the card, plus one dollar. That way the turnstyle will give you back the card for your next trip. On your last subway ride of the vacation, just put in the exact amount you'll need. The turnstyle will keep the card 'cause it's empty, and you're done. Tokens were so much easier for the occasional rider.......

• 3 weeks later...
Didja see the new Pompalamoose (or something...)X-mas Hyundai commercial? Our whiter than white friends are doing well for themselves; hooray for them! She is soooo cute. Infectious vibe. Almost as cool as the Kia comercial with the rapping mice. I about pee my pants each time they crash the cardboard bus. Total brilliance! Almost makes me want to buy a car.

Didja see the new Pompalamoose (or something...)X-mas Hyundai commercial? Our whiter than white friends are doing well for themselves; hooray for them!

Careful there, no racial distinctions, now...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

• 4 weeks later...

wOOt! I just sold my Peavey Hernia 300 amp.

Any idea how much space that opens up in the closet for a PA?!?!?

Ha! That, and I will NEVER have to horse it up another flight of stairs!

Is it Peavy or Peavey?

Wasn't there a nasty row about a few months back about the same band and the same description? I must be impervious to Indie music - I really didn't get the commercial or know they were even a named band.

Admittedly, the Kia Soul commercials slay me.

Then again, so do the Gieco commercials - "So easy, even a drummer can do it!"

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

I gag a little each time I hear it.

What should I do?

Slap the patchouli out of 'em and cut off their ponytails.

Which is what Paul K did to himself some time ago, I am afraid. Or maybe that was it? :P

Brought to you by Juancarlin.

www.juancarlinmusic.com

http://www.youtube.com/JuanCarlinMusic

www.facebook.com/JuanCarlinMusic

Instagram: @JuanCarlinMusic

• 1 month later...

OK, so I haven't had many bass gigs since I'm concentrating on that singer thing. But had a bass gig saturday night. It took till today for my plucking hand index finger to stop hurting. It's like I had pancake for fingertips.

And...The guy at work who would say "have a beautiful day" and high-five me at each passing has quit. Indeed, it was a beautiful day.

There's an excellent drummer who is also a friend of mine, who uses to reply to the "How do you do" question with (translated) "Well, I'm fine... but nevermind.."

Brought to you by Juancarlin.

www.juancarlinmusic.com

http://www.youtube.com/JuanCarlinMusic

www.facebook.com/JuanCarlinMusic

Instagram: @JuanCarlinMusic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...