Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - What is this song? (SoundCloud link)

Music Bird

I played the keyboard part of a song that Im desperately trying to figure out.

https://soundcloud.com/pigeon-city/what-is-this-song

I know the backing of it is guitar, bass, and drums, and the string keyboard part I played is very high in the mix, it comes as a fill in after each line in the verse. The last part I played is the ending to the song.

Its sung by a female singer, I think its from the 80s or 90s, I heard it in a TJ Maxx once, and Im trying to figure out who sang it. The singer had an alto or mezzo voice and parts of the chorus were vocal whoops (not the whoa oa oa whoop, like an actual squealing vocal noise, or like a female version of the James Brown whooo). If I remember, it was a slow song, and it was 3:30 or less in length.

Yamaha MX49, Casio SK1/WK-7600, Korg Minilogue, Alesis SR-16, Casio CT-X3000, FL Studio, many VSTs, percussion, woodwinds, strings, and sound effects.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, thats too fast, its more like 80 to 90 bpm and in 6/8 time.

The other instruments were a rhythm guitar, bass, drums and maybe some pads in the background. It was from at least the 80s, 90s, or newer.

Yamaha MX49, Casio SK1/WK-7600, Korg Minilogue, Alesis SR-16, Casio CT-X3000, FL Studio, many VSTs, percussion, woodwinds, strings, and sound effects.

I didnt play on the studio track. Im saying that I dont know who sang the song, and I honestly dont even know who played the keys on it.

I actually just replayed the string track on my new keyboard, and this song was also used in a movie which I heard it in. Maybe a 90s movie.

I didnt play on the studio track. Im saying that I dont know who sang the song, and I honestly dont even know who played the keys on it.

I actually just replayed the string track on my new keyboard, and this song was also used in a movie which I heard it in. Maybe a 90s movie.

thats a tough one.

Maybe if you played in a band back then, you can ask the singer or band members if they recognize the tune.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Youve got a PSR and a WK that can both easily recreate more of what you remember of this tune, and make it easier to identify for us. What youve provided at this point seems to be out of context (at least rhythmically speaking) motifs that only really serve to confuse the issue.

Maybe try again, with the string lines appropriately spaced, and maybe something playing the sung melody?

Maybe include a click track. I have a hard time hearing where the beats are.

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

I think the problem is that youre posting what are essentially stems reflecting only the keyboard line in the song. So unless someone else has zeroed in on that little string fill, there is no way to know the rest of the context.

Can you reproduce any other elements of the song? Does it have that slow country waltz backbeat that you added, or was that just to give a reference for the time? Can you remember anything before or after the whoop in the choruses? Is there something that happens before those string lines? Are they this close together in the original?

Even if you hummed (badly) whatever parts of the melody or chorus you could remember, it might get us closer to IDing the track.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

It has that slow country waltz backbeat. Before the string lines is each line of the verse.

It has that slow country waltz backbeat. Before the string lines is each line of the verse.

You missed the point. Completely.

Play the string lines where they appear, don't just mash them all together in sequence, because that removes the context.

Add a track that plays the vocal melody as well, if you can.

Archived