Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Expression Pedal problem

clpete

I am using an EV-5 Roland expression pedal for organ swell on my XK-1 and midi volume changes. I have been having an issue with it that I could use some advice on.

I stand when I play, so I have to move my foot off the pedal to hit the leslie foot switch or sustain or what ever. Anyway when I take it off the expression pedal I sometimes change the expression level. Even when I am very careful sometimes I bump it one way or the other.

Would a more expensive pedal help?

Does any body else have this problem?

We play for free. We get paid to set up and tear down.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think you can just tighten the nut and bolt that it pivots on to adjust the tension. If you want to get fancy, you could put a thin rubber washer with a thin metal washer to support it on one end to help hold it in position. You might need a longer bolt though.

While I like them for stuff like wah wah effects on a Nord, the EV-5 is a very bad pedal to use for organ swell IMO.

They are very short throw and therefore touchy.

Most people I know prefer the Yamaha FC-7, as do I. It is longer throw (more like a B-3 expression pedal), stays where you leave it, and has 2 angles for stand up or sit down playing.

The Yamaha pedal is wired backwards from the Roland, so look to see if your keyboard can handle both pedal wiring styles.

Edit: oh yeah, these pedals are not very expensive - they are actually reasonably priced.

Moe

---

You could try changing the sensitivity parameters in the XK-1's expression pedal settings if you haven't already.

I use the FC-7 with my XK-1 with no problems. The polarity is compatible with a simple one-time switch in the XK-1's settings.

Since I got it I've switched to playing sitting down though (Not because of the pedal design, but because I often use my other foot for my piano sustain pedal which leaves no feet to stand on). Maybe sitting down would solve your problem?

The FC-7 is an excellent pedal for the price, as mate stubb mentioned- only about $40 plus shipping.

Keen

+1 on everything Keen says.

I, too, use the Yamaha FC-7 pedal with my XK-1 and love it. It's built like a tank, it has a nice long throw, and it's very stable. As Keen points out, it does require you to change the polarity settings in the XK-1 pedal menu, but it's a simple change.

Noah

Just bought a replacement FC7. The cord of one of the two I was using (for XK-1 and S90 each) was severed by the road case (ouch!) For $40, + $4 shipping from Same day music wasn't worth fixing. Oh yeah and it does work great for the XK-1 once you change the setting!

Stan

Gig Rig: Yamaha S90 XS; Hammond SK-1; Rehearsal: Yamaha MOX8 Korg Triton Le61, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-1

Retired: Hammond M2/Leslie 145, Wurly 200, Ensoniq VFX

Am I to understand that the Hammond EXP-100F pedal that works with the XK-3, XE-1, and even the XB-2 WON'T work with the XK-1? Sure, it's expensive, but having used one with my XB-2 for as long as I've had it, I won't go with anything else.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

The EXP-100F has an 8 pin DIN connector. The XK-1 expression pedal jack is 1/4" TRS.

Stan

Gig Rig: Yamaha S90 XS; Hammond SK-1; Rehearsal: Yamaha MOX8 Korg Triton Le61, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-1

Retired: Hammond M2/Leslie 145, Wurly 200, Ensoniq VFX

Hi,

I've been using the EV-5 with my Nord E2 and yeah, the tight throw has been tricky. Just to be clear, before I click the "Checkout" button, will this FC7 work with Nords?

thanks!

Skydogg,

Page 15 of the NE2 manual states:

Pedals like the Roland EV-5 and control/expression pedals from Proel works well with the Electro 2. Control pedals from Yamaha have different characteristics and are not suitable for use with the Electro 2. Nord Electro 2 will also send and receive Expression pedal messages via MIDI (CC# 11).

I don't know what is meant by "different characteristics", maybe you can just do the polarity mod on the F7.

Regards,

Joe

Hi,

I've been using the EV-5 with my Nord E2 and yeah, the tight throw has been tricky. Just to be clear, before I click the "Checkout" button, will this FC7 work with Nords?

thanks!

Not directly with NE2, but directly with Stage. You need to either do the "polarity mod" or better yet make or buy a very short crossover cable. I made my own and the FC-7 worked fine with my NE2. Or see if Bruce still has some over at Ashby:

http://music.ashbysolutions.com/misc.html

Moe

---

Thanks for the input.

I think I'll get the FC-7. I use to have a similar Yamaha pedal, but it was a dual input/dual output. It was a great pedal, but I seem to have lost it.

I will most likely still use the EV-5 on my RD. I think that tightening the pivot bolt will help with unwanted movement.

Not directly with NE2, but directly with Stage. You need to either do the "polarity mod" or better yet make or buy a very short crossover cable. I made my own and the FC-7 worked fine with my NE2. Or see if Bruce still has some over at Ashby:

http://music.ashbysolutions.com/misc.html

Do you know what the wiring configuration is for the mod?

Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

Just bought a replacement FC7. The cord of one of the two I was using (for XK-1 and S90 each) was severed by the road case (ouch!) For $40, + $4 shipping from Same day music wasn't worth fixing. Oh yeah and it does work great for the XK-1 once you change the setting!
Please send me your broken one, COD! :)

Yeah, just need to switch tip and ring. Buy a 3 conductor 1/4" cable, cut one end off leaving about 3", solder on a FEMALE 3 conductor 1/4" connector, and swap the tip and ring wires on the female end.

Thanks, I will try that this afternoon......

Matt

Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

I picked up a FC-7 last night on the way to play. It worked great! Problem solved. The EV-5 seems like a toy compared to it and the FC-7 is $30 cheaper.

Thanks for the input! I was looking at buying a pedal that costs at lot more. The FC-7 was $44 at GC.

You can send me a few FC7s COD as well. I never met a pedal that didn't need fixing. I use them out of the box until the connection to plastic molded connector fails, then I replace the cheap wire and connector with something more appropriate.

I have to rewire a couple of these or make adaptors for my Kurzweil. Anybody happen to know which two wires I need to swap?

--wmp

Yeah, just need to switch tip and ring.

Anybody happen to know which two wires I need to swap?

I'm glad nobody pointed out how dumb that was before I noticed myself. Thanks for answering in advance, Moe.

--wmp

The EXP-100F has an 8 pin DIN connector. The XK-1 expression pedal jack is 1/4" TRS.

The B3P expression pedal is 10 pin but uses the same bulb.

Question: I am doing a conversion box for the B3P expression pedal (including the switch conversion to 1/4). The bulb is the same as the EXP-100F, 24v3W. I would be most appreciative if someone (just giving it a shot before I try a 24V power supply, who knows how to do it with a multimeter) could give me an *actual voltage* at the socket in the expression output of their XK3/XK3c or who has a service manual (wonder if HS de-rated the voltage slightly from the bulb rating for longevity)

That's a cool pedal. (XK3 & B3P) It has a 'window' shaped like a tornado funnel arcing up and down from the tip to the wide area that the light goes through to a photo-resister for the expression value. I really do not need the pedal but it is a cool match for the pedalboard.

(already converted the black color I wanted B4P 25-tone maple pedals to general midi via conversion box - works great - 16pin out from pedals - if I owned a B3P it could hook right back up - no mods to the pedalboard)

I never worked on an XK3, but spent years working on electronic musical instruments. Most of the later Hammond-Suzuki designs used about 12 to 14 volts on the 24 volt expression pedal lamps. This gives a very long lamp life, more likely to go bad due to vibration and shaking than to burn out.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

I never worked on an XK3, but spent years working on electronic musical instruments. Most of the later Hammond-Suzuki designs used about 12 to 14 volts on the 24 volt expression pedal lamps. This gives a very long lamp life, more likely to go bad due to vibration and shaking than to burn out.

Thanks! That helps a lot. I had a feeling that was the case. Mine is fine but they are hard to find from a generic source if they go, apparently, as I was unable to find them surfing around. Obviously, a HS dealer can order them. This lamp is a Toshiba.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived