Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Studio in storage

When I relocated to my new job, my household belongings - including my music gear - went into storage while I looked for a house to buy. I've been looking since May.

Well the real estate market in Florida is just crazy. Way too many buyers, multiple bids on any decent house, getting outbid, and boom the house is sold in 1-2 days.

At the rate this is going, I don't see any good chances of finding what I want with space for a studio so I decided to build a new house. I have the resources to have a house built and I can specify what I want. I'm tired of moving and this is the house I want to grow old in.

Here's the downside... until the house is built and ready to move into - which can be a year from now - my music gear will remain in storage. I can't touch any of the stored household goods because it is inventoried for insurance reasons (almost all the gear are safe in Anvil flight cases). My employer pays for moving the goods out of storage to my dwelling. I'll be leasing an apartment while the house is built and I want the household goods delivered to the house NOT to my apartment.

Upside, the storage is back up north away safe from the humidity of Florida.

But a year without playing my music gear... boy the withdrawal is going to be interesting.

At least I *DID* bring along my computers and a USB keyboard controller. In the interim, I'll buckle down and finally start learning Logic Pro which I had to put off the last 5-6 years due to being busy with elder care with my parents (both now gone). Plenty of instrument libraries in Logic Pro to keep me sane.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You are not alone. Home prices are up, up, up - as are labor and material costs. Most of my stuff is in storage as well. I"ve been wanting to frame out a square in the basement for my office after moving last year. But wasn"t sure about having builders in the home, and then wasn"t sure about how work and funds were going to go.

Silver linings! We"ve made it this far and aren"t too broke to have options and maybe even a plan! Many don"t even have that.

This too shall pass.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Frankly building is going to be cheaper. The demand for existing homes is extremely high, new residents want a place NOW. Silver lining of building a new place is it shuts out the bidders, I can accumulate savings towards the project, I am single with no kids to worry about putting in school, and I am patient enough to wait until the house is finished. If the withdrawal doesn't kick in...

Brotha Mike, congrats on the relocation. Smart money to build a house instead of overpaying for existing inventory. As mentioned, you'll get exactly what you want/need in building it. :thu:

Slight bummer that your gear will be in storage for a year. However, in learning Logic, either you'll develop an appreciation for software and/or make your hardware withdrawal worse. :laugh:

Have fun mayne. Bright future ahead. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

• 5 weeks later...

Just out of curiousity and almost totally OT. I was reading just a few days ago an article about this paradox, that the most in-demand areas of the US, where all the people keep moving to, are the ones which will be most at risk of becoming uninhabitable (or at least, VERY uncomfortable to live in) in a few short years, in between fires, floods, heat waves, hurricanes and rising sea level: Florida, Texas, California...

Is this somehing that is taken into account when deciding a move? Do employers and/or insurances factor in these elements when deciding to relocate?

(I'm from Italy so I'm genuinely curious, no snark intended and absolutely no politics involved)

Just out of curiousity and almost totally OT. I was reading just a few days ago an article about this paradox, that the most in-demand areas of the US, where all the people keep moving to, are the ones which will be most at risk of becoming uninhabitable (or at least, VERY uncomfortable to live in) in a few short years, in between fires, floods, heat waves, hurricanes and rising sea level: Florida, Texas, California...

Is this somehing that is taken into account when deciding a move? Do employers and/or insurances factor in these elements when deciding to relocate?

(I'm from Italy so I'm genuinely curious, no snark intended and absolutely no politics involved)

We've seen the housing market explode up here in Bellingham WA. It's a small (100,000-ish) but rapidly growing area. We do have water and cooler weather ... but...

There is no way we are going to escape the impending massive wildfires. Every summer gets dryer and warmer. The "Smokey The Bear" concept of putting out forest fires means there is a massive accumulation of fuel on the ground. These wildfires will not be like any proceeding them. The larger trees that create the canopy will burn and fall due to the fuel on the ground. There are heavily populated areas in these same forests and the roads are not designed with evacuation in mind, catastrophe. There isn't anywhere for these folks to go anyway. After the fires have cleared the flora, we will have massive mudslides in many areas. Those are not fun either.

I am in town, well away from the forests but our air will be unbreathable for weeks on end. I've purchased a 3m respirator with replaceable cartridges, plan on stocking up on the cartridges. Will need eye protection and also a good air cleaner with filters for my condo. I plan on getting an air conditioner too, I moved up here from Fresno California 16 years ago and some of it appears to be following us.

In the end, there is no safe place in this world. In the US? Maybe Minnesota if you can handle the bitter cold of winter. For every solution, there is a problem.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Even out here in the desert housing is going crazy. Prices are about 30% higher and realtors are buying old, rundown tiny places and doing a quick refurbish and selling. At same time since there is lots of land multiple new housing tracks being built. All that and tons of empty store fronts and all the good paying are out at the giant solar farms out in the desert or driving 90+ minutes to work in L.A. The traffic jams here are like 4-5am people hitting the highway to drive into L.A.

The other odd thing is with all the empty storefronts landlords are raising rents and local businesses have to close or move to another location. It's like having a tenet that has an established business and been paying rent isn't a good thing. At same time the big chain restaurants and other business are coming in and building new locations. This place was booming in the 1990's early 2000's then died off, what do all these big chains know that makes them want to invest here???

In the end, there is no safe place in this world. In the US? Maybe Minnesota if you can handle the bitter cold of winter. For every solution, there is a problem.

Surely, there are still plenty safe places to live. Just a matter of where one chooses to live. For that choice, we have to take whatever comes with it.

Just out of curiousity and for grins and giggles, I recently look at the housing costs in Wyoming. Anybody who knows me in person will get the humor in it. :laugh:

But, there are vast amounts of middle America that have some degree of protection from pollution and natural disasters. The only question becomes who wants to live there. :D:cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Safe places to more would be more accurately name safe areas of town and every city has areas of town you learn to watch your butt in.

I grew up in a very diverse area and really glad I did. Saw a lot of cities during my touring days and saw the good and bad of places, then lived in few big cities over the years when my career in computer had me bouncing around. Then retiring and relocating to city some think is dangerous, but I like the diversity and like other places just areas of town you have to know the area to watch your butt in. I say growing up where I did and then being in music taught me to appreciate diversity, people who want to see the negative in things will find negative things to whine about. It all boils down your attitude, you look for bad you'll find it and if you look for good you'll find it no matter where you are.

Surely, there are still plenty safe places to live. Just a matter of where one chooses to live. For that choice, we have to take whatever comes with it.

Just out of curiousity and for grins and giggles, I recently look at the housing costs in Wyoming. Anybody who knows me in person will get the humor in it. :laugh:

But, there are vast amounts of middle America that have some degree of protection from pollution and natural disasters. The only question becomes who wants to live there. :D:cool:

Middle America is no safer than other areas. The link to the map is just for natural disasters. We would need to consult maps for vehicular accidents, murders and assaults, disease clusters, etc.

Every one of us will meet our end, some will go peacefully, some less so. I love it here, I am happy to be able to live here. I'll take my chances and you will take yours. I wish you all the best, life is sweet.

https://www.redcross.org/get-help/how-to-prepare-for-emergencies/common-natural-disasters-across-us.html#all

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.