Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Do you do it with 15's?

General consensus on the forums is you don't need anyone bigger than a 10" speaker for keys. Anything bigger and you start treading on the bass player's territory and causing mix problem. I have to say, I've got 10's, 12's and a 15". Moving up to the 15 is almost orgasmic. While playing I just want to say "Yes! Yes! Yes!". Going from the 10" to the 15" is like moving from a little spinet to a full size grand or one of those old tall player pianos with the doors that open up to let out the sound.

So I have to ask, do you enjoy a big ole 15 inch? Have you tried one?

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to monitor using a 15" speaker (which sometimes doubled as a rehearsal amp) although about two years ago I downsized to 12".

When our party band plays smallish rooms we use two x 15" for the FOH PA - which the keys go through.

I"ve always used a 15 and probably always will. Love the low end (duh) when hitting low piano octaves and big synth patches. I presently use an old EV SxA250, sometimes two of them in stereo when feeling ambitious. Clear yet warm sounding cabinet. I also have a JBL PRX 715 when I want more sizzle. I"m sure I"m missing some mid-range bliss, but I try to use EQ to compensate.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Best Sound I"ve ever had were a pair of 3-way passive cabs with 15' bottom drivers. It was glorious and this is what Keyboardist in Midwest rock bands did in the day. I never had any trouble being heard over guitars. We basically carried our own PA.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I used to play through passive 15s and your post brought back fond memories. Although I probably remember them more fondly than I should? Lol.

Are there self powered 2 or 3 way 15s which are practical for a gigging keyboardist today?

My old keyboard amp had a 15" and a horn in it and I gig with that for 25 years. I now gig with a powered monitor that has a 12"; lighter, louder, more clarity and no issues with bottom end. I actually put the monitor on a milk crate to get it off the ground, still plenty of bass.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

PA's used to sound good, and I like good, low distortion full range sound, so I monitor, listen to CDs and TV, play and mix and design sound most the time with a 15" sub (no port/vent, ~100 litre damped enclosure, bridged amp with high quality analogue 40Hz low pass filter), 12 inch main speakers and low mid, mid speakers and tweeter (5 way in total).

Everything else from car sytems to phones and smaller monitors, TV / notebook / pad follows the sound control usually without any problems.

It's critical to get the sound right, even more than on headphones because of the acoustics, but once the sound is ok, the big systems always is my preferred system, hands down. Small speakers, even if they're "compensated" by DSP aren't going to displace enough air for low frequencies and slow transient components, and almost certainly going to create listening fatigue because of the ever the same standing waves in the listening room being tickled instead of blown aside.

T.V.

ZLX-12p is pretty nice. I'm sure I'd enjoy the sound of a 15, but the 12's shlep factor is also pretty sweet.

I'm a bit shocked at the size difference between the 12" and 15" ZLX powered speakers. It sure looks and seems like more than 3 inches. The 12 is so much easier to move around.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Still have my Barbetta Sona 32. It's at least 20 years old, sounds like there is a handful of sand in the cabinet, but it still works - albeit a little noisy now. We've used it as a bass guitar practice amp (especially when my wife briefly took bass lessons). Like most here, I've switched over to a powered cabinet. I'd been using a Yamaha DXR12 since 2010, but recently switched over to an EV PXM12MP powered slant monitor. Using either of my 12" speaker cabinets provides plenty of bottom end and lots of clarity for the rest of the sound.

I also have a QSC CP8, and it's had a surprising amount of outdoor-gig use this summer. Lots of bright punch and clarity for my keys, and has worked well in tandem with sound companies' monitor setups - even when keys are only in the CP8 for monitoring. But when on a gig where the bandleader supplies the PA, I find the deeper sound range of my DXR or EV is preferable.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!