Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: I needed a good Laugh

I myself preferred The Adams Family to the Munsters. With The Adams Family, there was always a chance that we would get a scene where Gomez is crashing his model trains.
  • Like 1

J.S. Bach Well Tempered Klavier

The collected works of Scott Joplin

Ray Charles Genius plus Soul

Charlie Parker Omnibook

Stevie Wonder Songs in the Key of Life

Weather Report Mr. Gone

Favorite Addams Family scene (only funny to those who watched it in the first place): Fester's lecturing Gomez on the latter's, um, lust problem, to no avail. Fester gives up, saying "C'est la vie -- Oh, no -- I just spoke French!" and hurriedly leaves the scene.
  • Haha 2

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

• 4 months later...
Charles Addams was once asked how he'd prefer to die. He said "I want to break into a million pieces while listening to a Theremin concert in January."

An evangelist came to town who was so good,
 even Huck Finn was saved until Tuesday.
      ~ "Tom Sawyer"

Loved the bizarre humor on those shows. That's what is really missing in today's entertainment.

That is nostalgia clouding your perception. Since then there have been countless shows that went in all sorts of directions exploring humor with success.

Did anyone know Thing was Lurch's hand or that Lurch was considered handsome and had lots of young girl groupies?

The Addams Family was a house of weirdness while The Munsters characters were all parodies of the horror genre.

Between the two I preferred The Munsters.

Did anyone know Thing was Lurch's hand or that Lurch was considered handsome and had lots of young girl groupies?

[...] The Munsters characters were all parodies of the horror genre.

Between the two I preferred The Munsters.

Ted Cassidy was indeed a good looking guy, much better looking than his character Lurch. Also a talented musician and singer. Cassidy did Thing mainly because his long arms could reach through the props more easily.

Here in his hometown of Philippi WV they've scheduled "Lurch fest" for this August, which (I hope) will honor Mr. Cassidy's memory in the midst of inevitable silliness.

I preferred the Munsters too, probably due to the amazing acting chemistry between Fred Gwynne and Al Lewis. That show's message (to me at least) was "familiar versus unfamiliar are sometimes mischaracterized as normal versus weird."

RE: Addams Family, I can't think of any other comedy show of that time that acknowledged husband-wife sexual attraction like that show. Herman Munster was never portrayed as horny.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

No mention of Cousin It? Gah!

When I was a kid, dad took us to the Autorama in Fresno every year. One year they had the Munstermobile AND the casket dragster that Grandpa drag raced Herman in. I think both were George Barris creations and they both were drivable. Anybody remember that episode? Pretty Epic.

I liked both of those shows, they were funny.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

In the 60s I was on the school bus one morning in Salem, Oregon. We passed by a local restaurant and parked out front on an open flatbed trailer was the Munster car. It seemed like a dream that early in the morning.

I preferred Pat Priest as Marilyn. Saw Butch Patrick when I was playing at a Monkees convention several years ago. I felt sorry for him because nobody was going to his booth for autographs. On one Munsters episode at Eddie's school there was a kid who looked just like Beaver Cleaver. It was his brother Jim Mathers. The Munsters and Leave it to Beaver had the same producers.

C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

• 1 year later...

My apologies for resurrecting a zombie thread, although it is the season for such things.

I've found myself revisiting some Addam's Family and stumbled onto an episode with a piece that I am hoping someone here can help me identify.

Lurch playing the harpsichord, starting around the 10 minute mark:

Funny how needed a good laugh thread turned into a Munsters vs Addams Family debate lol 

But let's get down to serious business. Barbara Eden or Elizabeth Montgomery? Both insanely hot IMO and I suspect most would choose the more "blonde bombshellish" Eden but give me Elizabeth Montgomery any day or the week and twice on Sundays.  

OhmiGod! I just had a Halloween flash! Lurch Emerson, encircled by various organs topped with Moogs and ARPs! Thing strikes the gong for that moment in "Eruption." Then Pugsley guillotines the head off an Alice Cooper mannequin.
Mmm, mushroom flashbacks!

Today's musical acts have little to no sense of theatre. I saw Alice Cooper's "Welcome To My Nightmare" live. I haven't seen anyone touch that colossal triumph of stagecraft in decades. His songs are generally about something besides, let's call it relationship goo or "personal empowerment." Entropy has Rock & Roll's balls in its purse. Why, when I was 22 (nurse interrupts Grampa's rant with night meds)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

An evangelist came to town who was so good,
 even Huck Finn was saved until Tuesday.
      ~ "Tom Sawyer"

Fred Gwynne had a head shape like various Frankensteins portrayed theatrically and in illustration. Playing any other role he was always Herman Munster to me.   

Ted Danson has always reminded me of Frankenstein.

Speaking of Ted Danson and Seinfeld, he has been good playing himself on Larry David’s Curb Your Enthusiasm. A lot of that is unrehearsed spontaneous ad libbing. Some people are really sharp and can go with it as it unfolds. Some have been utter failures. Ben Stiller, a natural. His wife Christine Taylor, one of the worst at it.  Danson’s wife Mary Steenburgen, another natural.