Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboard for Busking and Jam Sessions

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a keyboard that will fit into a 61 key gig case that I can carry around like a backpack.

Ideally the keyboard should have hammer action keys and not synth type keys, as I mainly will use it for piano based sounds and maybe some EP.

I've looked into the Yamaha P121 but it is slightly too big at 1114mm, and I wish I could chop it down like Minetti does here here to fit into the case to carry around.

Sounds included don't really matter much, as I've already got an 88 key gigging keyboard that can do the lot. It also does not need to be battery powered as I will carry around a separate car battery for busking.

Thank you!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello, welcome to the forum.

Are you looking for a keyboard to fit your existing backpack gig case? I can't think of a smaller hammer-action keyboard than the P121, unless you go to discontinued Studiologic controllers. (Roland RD64, now discontinued, had 64 keys but no reduction in size compared to the P121!) Dexibell S1 is a digital piano with 68 keys, so a bit smaller, but not hammer action (although better for piano than typical synth keys). If you're open to non-hammer-but-reasonable-for-piano actions, the Vox Continental comes in a 61, and has a nice action of this type, as does Yamaha YC61. Other forumites will suggest their favourites.

Would it be possible to turn the problem around and look for a new gig case to carry a P121 or similar? My Nord soft case carries a 73-note keyboard and has straps to carry on my back. I have to be careful going through doorways, but not an issue outside. I haven't shopped for gig bags in a long time, but there are several companies that include backpack straps.

Cheers, Mike.

Car battery for busking? Yikes...that seems like an awful lot of stuff to bring to allow a weighted board. I have seen buskers do the battery thing with a cart, but man that makes it pretty complicated.

My 2 cents is get one of the new Casio's (CT S1) and forgo weighted action for simplicity and ease of portability and battery power? Dave Bryce did a great review elsewhere on this forum, and they're pretty amazing. Yes, action will take some getting used to, but they are incredibly low priced and would make the process far simpler, especially if you're just starting out.

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a keyboard that will fit into a 61 key gig case that I can carry around like a backpack.

Ideally the keyboard should have hammer action keys and not synth type keys, as I mainly will use it for piano based sounds and maybe some EP.

I've looked into the Yamaha P121 but it is slightly too big at 1114mm, and I wish I could chop it down like Minetti does here here to fit into the case to carry around.

Sounds included don't really matter much, as I've already got an 88 key gigging keyboard that can do the lot. It also does not need to be battery powered as I will carry around a separate car battery for busking.

Thank you!

Looks like they're calling your name.

Here for the gear.

The video shows a guy playing the Dexibell sitting on a park bench with headphones. But there are no onboard speakers so how are we hearing it? If you're playing in the park and want other people to hear it, you're going to need some external amplification. Or am I missing something?
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

The Dexibell is actually quite nice, but interestingly the battery option is mentioned in the video but not at all on the page at Sweetwater. $1400.

But even so, as El Lobo mentioned one would still need a battery operated amp to be heard.

The video shows a guy playing the Dexibell sitting on a park bench with headphones. But there are no onboard speakers so how are we hearing it? If you're playing in the park and want other people to hear it, you're going to need some external amplification. Or am I missing something?

Never let a little thing like logistics get in the way of livin' the dream. :laugh:

Here for the gear.

Honestly, I just bought a 2020 Casiotone for just this purpose, and it's FANTASTIC. Sure, it doesn't feel spectacular, but it's EASY, CHEAP, small, light, has built-in speakers, A HANDLE, and sounds better than you'd expect. I don't even bother with a case/bag, just bring it in, throw it on a table and start playing. I travelled around the outer Hawaiian islands, and made some friends at open mics, started up a temporary band and had a blast. Definitely my pick for "campfire keyboard". If I want a little more volume, I've got a large battery-powered bluetooth speaker with an Aux-in. It's so cheap, if I don't have to worry about it, if it breaks, I'll buy a new one.

F***! I just realized I shipped it off to Alaska (I'm moving) by USPS ground, and I'm going to be playing a festival in 2 weeks... PERFECT situation for it, and it probably won't arrive until July!

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

F***! I just realized I shipped it off to Alaska (I'm moving) by USPS ground, and I'm going to be playing a festival in 2 weeks... PERFECT situation for it, and it probably won't arrive until July!

I think you'll find standards of acceptance are a fair bit lower in Alaska than Hawaii.

"So what'd you think of the keyboard player in the band we saw tonight?"

"He was great!"

"But he had no keyboard . . ."

"Yeah, true . . . but at least the band had a keyboard player! He was great!"

I would love it if someone would build a 61- or 49-key weighted keyboard, but not holding my breath.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

would love it if someone would build a 61- or 49-key weighted keyboard, but not holding my breath.

Someone did. Roland RD-64 you can find them at places who sell used gear.

RD-64: Fully Weighted 64-key Digital Stage Piano with 12 SuperNATURAL Sounds, Ivory Feel-G Keybed, Stereo Aux Input, and Both MIDI and Class-compliant USB Connectivity

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

would love it if someone would build a 61- or 49-key weighted keyboard, but not holding my breath.

RD-64: Fully Weighted 64-key Digital Stage Piano with 12 SuperNATURAL Sounds, Ivory Feel-G Keybed, Stereo Aux Input, and Both MIDI and Class-compliant USB Connectivity

Similar to shoe sizing then: 64 JP = 61 US.

;)

Here for the gear.

An arranger will give you all you need in one keyboard.

Inbuilt Amp and speakers with more power than a digital piano has onboard.

Battery powered in the main so no need for a heavy car battery.

With 61 keys

Korg EK50, or a Pa 700

Yamaha PSR SX 600 / 700

Even cheaper

Yamaha EW 410, PSE E463

Casio CTX 3000

With 88 keys

Casio S3000

Korg XE20

I will omit a DGX670 on weight grounds alone.

An arranger has auto accompaniment of whatever musical style you choose to et up and create a registration so select the preset and play

Col

Similar to shoe sizing then: 64 JP = 61 US.

;)

But wait! There's more. We throw in 3 extra keys for free! This item is discontinued and quantities are limited. So act now to take advantage of this amazing opportunity to own what is sure to be a classic one of a kind instrument!

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

]... If I want a little more volume, I've got a large battery-powered bluetooth speaker with an Aux-in.
Which one?
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

• 6 months later...

An update for the solution - I ended up going with the Casiotone CT-S1 and ditching the idea of hammer action keys. It's working a treat for busking situations as it's very light and portable, and being able to run it off batteries is a very handy feature at jam sessions as well.

Thanks for the help everyone!

You made the right choice! Livelong weighted 88 player: I made the same choice back in 2019 and have never regretted it. Do I use it very much? No, but it's fantastic for jam sessions, busking, open mics, camp fires, and whatever. It's the Ukulele of keyboards, and I mean that in the best possible way. I think it's superior to the Roland GoKEYS in most ways, and is cheaper. The Roland GoPiano sounds and feels a bit better, but not worth the additional price for something that's essentially a toy. I love the handle.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

⦠ended up going with the Casiotone CT-S1 ⦠It's working a treat for busking situations as it's very light and portable â¦
⦠It's the Ukulele of keyboards â¦. in the best possible way.

Just took this mini-rig to the local park for a sunset session. What a blast! Played some xmas tunes and latin favorites to get people dancing.

The CT-S1 and iPhone (with headphone jack) ran off battery; but I"m still figuring out the batteries for the little 50 watt Vox amp (VX50KB), so I had to find a place to plug it in. The CT-S1 makes you choose between the onboard speakers or the headphone out; but with the iPhone I can run the audio direct to the amp, and then run the audio back to the CT-S1 so I can also use the onboard speakers.

Korg Module Pro for the sounds. Soft Drummer and Afro-Latin Drum Machine for backing tracks.

IMG-0387.jpg