Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Snarky Puppy

As much as I've love SP over the years, and as happy as I am that they're finally getting there props, all I can say is...

Damn, now the secret is out!

Feels funny seeing the band you've turned dozens of people onto suddenly blowin' up like this.. Feels good though! And while Im on a keyboard forum talking about Snarky, I gotta say Shaun Martin is the hottest, nastiest, bad-asseded keyboard wrecka in the country!! Although I do love what Corey has brought to the table recently too.

What's new for SP? According to Michael League on there last show in Atlanta, they have an album coming out this year or early next year which features many of the incredible vocalists that have sat in with them over the years. Something like that could possibly turn them into the next EW&F.

When they were here this spring, they played for 2 nights.. One night was all instrumental, the next night featured Atlanta vocalists...AMAZING!! In addition to that there's another instrumental live album in the works!! Can't wait!!

Guys, GO SEE THEM LIVE... IT WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE!!

TROLL . . . ish.

And while Im on a keyboard forum talking about Snarky, I gotta say Shaun Martin is the hottest, nastiest, bad-asseded keyboard wrecka in the country!!

One of my all-time favourite keyboard solos, bar none is at 5:20.

[video:youtube]

:cool: :cool: :cool:

I actually had to look through my old posts to make sure I hadn't posted about it in the previous lives of the thread. I tend to yammer on about this one, and the album in general.

• 6 months later...
New album from these guys drops next week! I'm excited.

Here's the first song they've released. More to follow over the coming weeks.

[video:youtube]kk0WRHV_vt8

I actually can't keep up. I don't understand how quickly they work. Seems like they put out two albums a year while touring 8-9 months a year. And then a bunch of them still manage to have side projects. Ridiculous.

New album is exciting, thanks for that.

Seen then live twice in 2 days, they played once then did a secret show in a tiny club the following night, was life changing. I'm playing Ready Wednesday for a recital in May. Dem rhythms be workin' me hard. Not to mention that solo at around 5.40. Ouch.

[video:youtube]FopGvOlP6A0

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

New album from these guys drops next week! I'm excited.

Here's the first song they've released. More to follow over the coming weeks.

[video:youtube]kk0WRHV_vt8

Good grief that's a lot of headphone outs! :laugh:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I actually can't keep up. I don't understand how quickly they work. Seems like they put out two albums a year while touring 8-9 months a year. And then a bunch of them still manage to have side projects. Ridiculous.

Seriously. And they've been keeping up this record/touring schedule for like the last 5 years :freak:

I heard this song for the first time when I saw these guys live for the first time ever last summer.

As they ripped into this song to start the show, my friend and I looked at each other, our reaction summed up as "Holy sh*t!!!"

Hearing this studio version for the same time, my reaction is the same! :rawk:

[video:youtube]fuhHU_BZXSk

Friend of mine just turned me on to The Motet. Great band, and the same kind of vibe.

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

I heard this song for the first time when I saw these guys live for the first time ever last summer.

As they ripped into this song to start the show, my friend and I looked at each other, our reaction summed up as "Holy sh*t!!!"

Hearing this studio version for the same time, my reaction is the same! :rawk:

Just freaking unbelievable chops for such young 'uns...

aL

Gear: Yamaha MODX8, Mojo 61, NS2 73, C. Bechstein baby grand.

The album is here! You can preview it at the link below. Lingus features an awesome keyboard solo by Corey Henry.

We Like it Here by Snarky Puppy

Beat you by one minute. :-P

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

The album is here! You can preview it at the link below. Lingus features an awesome keyboard solo by Corey Henry.

We Like it Here by Snarky Puppy

Beat you by one minute. :-P

:P:D

Just listened to Lingus. HOLY BALLSACKS. I wonder if Cory was playing the Roli on that solo.

Just listened to Lingus. HOLY BALLSACKS. I wonder if Cory was playing the Roli on that solo.

So the DVD arrived the other day and I finally had a chance to watch it. The Rhodes sound is coming from a Kronos, and the synth?

It's a King Korg :o:o:o

The instrument so maligned here on the KC for its crappy action.

Just goes to show: its not the gear, its the player. :cool:

It's a King Korg :o:o:o

The instrument so maligned here on the KC for its crappy action.

Just goes to show: its not the gear, its the player. :cool:

I don't think anyone with any sense has ever disputed that "its not the gear, its the player". People complain about the action of Rhodes Piano's everyday. King Korg is just another keyboard in a long line of keyboards with crappy action. Doesn't mean someone can't make music with it though. This is not breaking news.

:nopity:

Saw these guys yesterday at Java Jazz Festival. Were incredible! Everything was just so tight. Justin Stanton was mostly playing a Moog Little Phatty Tribute ed. (I think), and possible underneath was a Motif XF7, but couldn't really see. Almost every stage seemed to have Motif's as the stock keyboard of choice, unless players were using their own rigs. Bill Laurence was playing a Rhodes mostly, with a Nord Stage 2 on top. Apart from a pretty cool synth solo by Justin, the keys didn't feature prominently in this gig (Cory Henry was sadly not there).
RD700NX, Krome 61, Acuna 73 + Mainstage 3

I don't think anyone with any sense has ever disputed that "its not the gear, its the player". People complain about the action of Rhodes Piano's everyday. King Korg is just another keyboard in a long line of keyboards with crappy action. Doesn't mean someone can't make music with it though. This is not breaking news.

Sure, but sometimes I think we all get a little caught up in complaining about gear when we actually should be practicing :laugh:

Saw these guys yesterday at Java Jazz Festival. Were incredible! Everything was just so tight. Justin Stanton was mostly playing a Moog Little Phatty Tribute ed. (I think), and possible underneath was a Motif XF7, but couldn't really see. Almost every stage seemed to have Motif's as the stock keyboard of choice, unless players were using their own rigs. Bill Laurence was playing a Rhodes mostly, with a Nord Stage 2 on top. Apart from a pretty cool synth solo by Justin, the keys didn't feature prominently in this gig (Cory Henry was sadly not there).

Thanks for the gig report! When I saw them, there were no Motifs, so I'm guessing that's probably backline. The Moog LP does seem to be a staple of their keyboard arsenal, though.

• 3 weeks later...

Not to revive a dead thread... but I stumbled upon some live YouTube videos of Snarky Puppy which happen to have Cory Henry's Hammond really loud, so are great to listen to. Maybe just accidentally filmed on a phone in front of the keyboard monitor?

Anywhere here's one:

And the same user has posted lots of other clips from the same gig (also with loud keyboards).

And... just got my ticket today to see Snarky Puppy for the first time on May 4th. Excited!

They're in Erie PA tonight and it's down the road an hour and tickets are $12...and I'm not going! I know I will regret it but I drove two hours to Buffalo last night for the Metheny Unity Group. Amazing show. But after working a full day I've got nothing left.

Last night in a word - amazing.

Opening act was Allison Wedding, an NYC based singer, and friend of Snarky Puppy (she's on their record label). She was accompanied by Bob Lanzetti and Mike League, both on guitar (though about halfway through the set Mike switched to bass). Very impressive vocalist; she's a fantastic improviser.

The Snarky Puppy lineup for the evening was:

Mike - Bass

Bob - guitar

Nate - percussion

Sput - drums

Shaun - keys

Justin - keys and trumpet

Maz - trumpet

Chris - tenor sax and flute

I was right by the stage next to the horn section. All the material came from the last three instrumental albums (Tell Your Friends, Ground Up, and We Like It Here). The set started out slow and gradually got more and more intense. It was great.

Setlist (thanks to tonedeaf who taped the show )

Kite

Bent Nails

Skate U

Tio Macaco

Thing Of Gold

What About Me?

Shofukan

Young Stuff

Quartermaster

Sleeper

Binky > Give Up the Funk (encore)

Chris Bullock played with more intensity than most sax players I've ever seen. Great player. Mike 'Maz' Mayer was a bit more mellow but still played some great lines. Both Chris and Maz have started using a second mic hooked up to a pedal board for a lot of cool effects; they both played them well (A tenor through a Digitech Whammy pedal sounds awesome!)

Shaun Martin is a such a ham and a great player. He really knows how to work a crowd, and a solo as well.

The person that impressed me most was Justin Stanton. He held it down on keys all night, and picked up the trumpet when needed. Great solos from him both on keys and trumpet. As a trumpet player, he really impressed me when he picked up the trumpet for the first time all night and nailed the high B's on the chorus of SkateU (after probably not touching his horn for two hours prior!)

On Quartermaster, guest player and Pittsburgh young lion Brett Williams came up to play keys (keep an ear out for this kid, he's going places, and currently touring with Marcus Miller). He absolutely crushed it. Listen here. You can hear the crowd go crazy as he snuck up onto stage. That's a Kronos rhodes you're hearing.

The encore was Binky which transitioned into big jam on Give Up the Funk. Super fun, the whole audience singing along; it was great. I had a stupid grin on my face the entire time during the entire show; it really was that good.

Last but not least, here are some crappy cell phone pics of the keyboard rigs for the evening:

http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/rpantale/pics/IMG_20140322_241719_518.jpg

Shaun Martin's setup. Moog Little Phatty on top, and a Roland Fantom G7 on bottom. The Moog was patched through a talkbox when they played Sleeper. In the foreground is Mike League's Moog Sub Phatty. He ran it through his bass rig (actually disconnected from his P bass and plugged that into his Moog)

http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/rpantale/pics/IMG_20140322_241732_399-2.jpg

Justin Stanton's setup. Roland Juno Di on top, Korg Kronos 61 on bottom. He had a couple effects pedals, but the only one I saw him use was a wah pedal on Bent Nails.

To conclude: if this band is in your town, do not miss them! They really are that good.