Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Snarky Puppy

On 4/3/2019 at 12:51 AM, jahfume said:

If this lot went on tour together it would be an expensive project!

I just watched this vid for the first time - very nice!   I was impressed by the whole thing, had to turn up my stereo and listen, and was enjoying it bigly.  Then near the end, Lalah did that two-note thing, which was like the cherry on top.  Seeing it for the first time, it blew my mind.    And it was fun watching the band guys lose their s**t when it happened!

However (there's got to be a however, right?), if she asked me for advice (which would never happen, I know), I would say to her, with regards to the two-note thing, to use it judiciously.   You don't want to do it on every gig (not saying that she does that - I'm not that familiar with her work), since it's somewhat of a parlour trick, and could get old if done too often.

I noted that David W. Foster was one of the co-writers of the song Something.   Does anyone know, is that the same David Foster that we all know (i.e. the guy who wrote After The Love Has Gone for Earth Wind and Fire)?

(P.S.: Brush With Greatness:   David Foster is from Victoria, British Columbia, where I grew up, and no, I don't know him, although we have several personal relationships in common.)

54 minutes ago, Dave Bryce said:

Should be a great show - it always is - and I love the new record.

The 10 songs that they played were all new, music from Empire Central. There was a single song encore, fan favorite, Lingus. :cool:

:nopity:

15 hours ago, Doerfler said:

The 10 songs that they played were all new, music from Empire Central. There was a single song encore, fan favorite, Lingus. :cool:

setlist.fm shows that they’re playing different sets on different nights, and do show other tunes besides the Empire Central stuff.  I’ve seen Shofukan, Sleeper, Xavi and Thing of Gold in the set lists in addition to Lingus.

It does look like they played Shofukan at the DC show.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/21/2023 at 6:58 AM, Floyd Tatum said:

I noted that David W. Foster was one of the co-writers of the song Something.   Does anyone know, is that the same David Foster that we all know (i.e. the guy who wrote After The Love Has Gone for Earth Wind and Fire)?

Yup, cheezy Dave actually has a very soulful/funky side that mostly disappeared by the mid 80's. His arrangements for Jaye P. Morgan, Dusty Springfield, Average White Band etc. in the last 70's/early 80's are some of the dopest stuff in Pop.

Needless to say, he's no slouch on Jazz(y) stuff either, as can be heard in Andrea Bocelli's "Under the Desert Sky" concert.

3 minutes ago, AROIOS said:

Yup, cheezy Dave actually has a very soulful/funky side that mostly disappeared by the mid 80's. His arrangements for Jaye P. Morgan, Dusty Springfield, Average White Band etc. in the last 70's/early 80's are some of the dopest stuff in Pop.

Needless to say, his Jazz(y) chops are no slouch either, as can be heard in Andrea Bocelli's "Under the Desert Sky" concert.

You think After The Love Has Gone is cheezy?   Ok.  

20 minutes ago, Floyd Tatum said:

You think After The Love Has Gone is cheezy?   Ok. 

Noop, that's one of his best works. He got the cheezy rep mostly for his late 80's stuff. Dude's got massive amount of talent and chops.

• Like 1