Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How to determine string height?

Guitar55

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Assuming the neck is reasonably straight with only a modicum of relief, I lower the bridge(s) until the string buzzes with normal playing then gradually lift it until it sounds OK. I know this isn't Dan Erlewine stuff, but providing the neck's sound, it pretty much works.

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Yeah, enough o' that crap!

Anyways, get yourself a flexible slim steel 6" rule, like machinists favor for keping near to hand in a pocket, etc. One that can be easily read, even its finer fractional measurements.

With the neck fairly straight (maybe even arrow-straight, Strats in particular seem to work best that way) via its truss-rod adjustment for relief- do a search here for "relief truss rod capo" if you need info on that- figure out by trial-and-error what action height feels right without too much fret-buzz on, say, the 3rd and 4th strings.

Measure the space between the top of a fret and the bottom of those two strings at a given fret- the last one, for instance- and then simply use the 6" rule to measure in the other strings. They'll fairly conform to the radius of the fretboard this way. Tune-up, check and adjust intonation, check the action again, trial-and-error and repeat as necessary untill you're satisfied. It's O.K. if you wind up with the action growing slightly higher as you progress from the 1st/"High E" to the 6th/"Low E" for less fret-buzz on the basses, too.

Hope this is at least a little helpful; there's more than one way, but this seemed the most straightforward.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Do you have to have a strobe tuner to get intonation right or is one like the Boss TU12/15 good enough?

quote:Originally posted by mdrs:

It's pure B.S., and obvioulsy inaccurate. I suspect it is posted for effect, not for accuracy.

John Petrucci > Johnny Winter

The Edge > Ted Nugent

Guitar One Mag > Guitarplayer

Slash > Carlton

Cool I'm switching to 10's on my strat but was going to wait to get the $ together for a tuner first.

BTW, and OT, I don't know why they ship guitars with 9's on 'em. It's almost impossible not to press down too hard and bend notes sharp. It's kinda like a scalloped fretboard with med.jumbo frets and those rubber band gauge strings.

It's pure B.S., and obvioulsy inaccurate. I suspect it is posted for effect, not for accuracy.

The Edge > Ted Nugent

Slash > Carlton

Yeah I guess it depends on the person playing the instrument.I'm a bit ham fisted with it.

The Edge > Ted Nugent

Slash > Carlton

and those four packs of Red Bull... http://www.websmileys.com/sm/crazy/1062.gif

The Edge > Ted Nugent

Slash > Carlton

Archived