Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Baritones...???

Museeip

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Museeip,

I own an Avante acoustic and a Jackson DK27.

The Avante is okay for the price, but sounds kind of flat and woody. The lower notes don't resonate as well as they should. Breedlove makes a baritone acoustic that is just absolutely beautiful. It sounds exactly like it should: full, rich, crisp and deep.

Again, the Jackson is okay for the price. A pickup swap will take care of any tone issues it has (it comes stock with the EMG HZ pups). It's great for Sabbath tunes :)

There's no standard baritone tuning, but B to B (low to high: B E A D F# B) seems to be the most common which makes the fingerings identical to a standard guitar, just a fourth lower.

Have fun!

BTW, Ani DiFranco uses baritones a lot too, but weird tunings.

It's not simple to be simple.

-H. Matisse

Ross Precision Guitars

Originally posted by Museeip:

I'm a huge k.d. Lang fan and Ben Mink used alot of Baritone guitars. I love that sound, I just wonder how often I would use one. Anyone own one? And if so how do you like it? Use it much? How are they tuned? :confused:

I own a Danelectro Hodad baritone and I absolutely love it. It's pretty much the only guitar I ever play these days. It has a huge, warm, pianolike sound that I'm totally in love with. (the stuff on my link is all baritone, though, unfortunately, I don't play it very well).

The usual tuning is B-B but there's no "set" tuning so far. I know of people that tune to A or C as well. Drop D is pretty neat too, the bass string really sings.

There's a couple of baritone threads in the archives too.

Did I already say I love baritone?

I own the Fender IV. Hasn't been ut of the case for a year. In terms of tuning, that is really your choice. Even the open tunings work on it.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

I love the soound of baritone guitars. I had one for about a minute a few years back, but I traded it for a TDAT because I didn't have a use for the baritone in the band I was playing with, and i needed the TDAT. It's another instrument I'd buy just to have, if I had the money.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Originally posted by Picker:

It's another instrument I'd buy just to have, if I had the money.

That's basically why I have one. Got occasional use at the studio. Now that it resides at my apartment, not so much.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Originally posted by bpark@prorec.com:

That's basically why I have one. Got occasional use at the studio. Now that it resides at my apartment, not so much.

I had put Fender Bass VI strings on my baritone for a while, but it was a bit muddy on open chords and not all that useful.

Getting some proper baritone strings was the best thing I ever did. Well, as far as playing baritone goes :D

There's quite a bit of baritone playing on a variety of country albums over the past few decades.

Confederate Railroad's Queen of Memphis comes to mind, for one.

I love the sound of a baritone, but I've spent most of my time playing solo, so bari doesn't quite cut it, IMO. It's better suited to being a part of an arrangement rather than the instrument.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived