Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Quit Smoking Club.

A String

Originally posted by Geoff Byrne:

Well, I'm one of those horrible people who can take them or leave them.

I smoked from when I was about 18 till about 20 years ago then stopped. When I started my new life in England, my partner is a heavy-ish smoker, and I started again for self-defence(!). I only really enjoy French Disque Blue or Gitanes, and I smoke about 1 packet per week.

I did this for about 3 years, then about 3 months ago, I realised I no longer enjoyed them, and just stopped.

About every couple of months I get the desire, so I buy a pack & smoke them, then that's me satisfied for another few weeks.

G.

You ENJOY Gitanes? Perhaps I got a stale pack but that was a memmorable lung pummeling! I quit 9/3/05.... I did the patch thing when my girlfriend declared our bedroom a no fun zone. I was happy. Not only was I getting booty, I was still getting my niccotine! I followed the program and stepped down to lower nic. content patches and followed the directions. After I ran out it was really very easy to say no to buying more patches. I hadn't had a niccotine buzz or craving for 3 months and it was a piece of cake. I didn't want to quit and I didn't expect any results, but hey I feel good and I'm glad I did.
Live long and prosper unless it is a good day to die.

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, how is a quitting smoking club going to work? Does everyone report in every day on their resistance to temptation? Or do you only report in when you have a setback? Or is it a moral support kind of thing? I've never been to an AA meeting. So I don't have a clue how this works. And if I can help even though I've never had a smoking habit, I'll try. :wave:

I guess cutting out smoking is a little like stopping cold turkey on sweets. I had to do that when I found out I am diabetic. It was 25 years ago. Fortunately I am not insulin dependent. But giving up sweets was and is really hard to do and the temptation is _very_ strong. Even today I find myself having trouble resisting the left over candy from Halloween. And sweets aren't a physical addiction. Phew...

Even after 25 years I still find myself craving chocolate or a Coke. :(

Born on the Bayou

One thing I've done is to stop smoking in the house. Definitely not smoking as much because of this.With cold weather setting in, you really have to want one bad.

quote:Originally posted by mdrs:

It's pure B.S., and obvioulsy inaccurate. I suspect it is posted for effect, not for accuracy.

John Petrucci > Johnny Winter

The Edge > Ted Nugent

Guitar One Mag > Guitarplayer

Slash > Carlton

LP Custom has a great idea - people should check in once a day to report their progress, difficulties, cravings, and victories. If the support mechanism exists here, we can hope for a high success rate.
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

OK well I smoked a pack and a half today. :D

It's pure B.S., and obvioulsy inaccurate. I suspect it is posted for effect, not for accuracy.

The Edge > Ted Nugent

Slash > Carlton

Well I am getting better about it, having to go outside and all. I used to sit around and chain smoke when I allowed it indoors.

Seriously though, when I last tried to quit I went mental. Addictive in nature I guess.

Kicked booze though. Sober since early last May. http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/musik/music-smiley-005.gif

The Edge > Ted Nugent

Slash > Carlton

Originally posted by Haga:

Well I am getting better about it, having to go outside and all. I used to sit around and chain smoke when I allowed it indoors.

Seriously though, when I last tried to quit I went mental. Addictive in nature I guess.

Kicked booze though. Sober since early last May. http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/musik/music-smiley-005.gif

I was the guy that everyone thought could never quit. When I was on the road, I'd be running short on cash and have a choice between dinner or a pack of smokes, I'd buy the smokes.

Cigarettes were my number one priority followed by rent and then food. I suffered terribly the first week (I think I spent most of that week crunched into a ball on the couch), but it got progressively better. I chewed that "nicorette" gum when I had a craving. Eventually, the cravings get farther apart and your health starts to improve. Soon the cravings are so weak, it's easy to ignore them.

I think it's important to note that an addiction is like being possessed. You have a little "voice" inside you that will make up all sorts of lies to get you to continue with your addiction. If you can separate that "voice" from your own, you'll soon see how ridiculous it sounds.

The "Voice" will say, "I want a cigarette", and you have to be able to think, "The addiction wants a cigarette, I don't."

Also, remember that the cravings will get farther apart, last for a shorter duration and become less intense as the days go by. If after a few weeks you suddenly get a craving, don't give in, remember that it seems strong because you haven't had one in a while. It will pass and then you can go on with your day.

There is also the health aspect. The longer you go, the less nicotine and tar is in your system. You will start to sleep better, breath better and be able to taste again. Drink lots of water to help flush the chemicals out of your body and speed up the process.

I know a lot of people say it, but if I can quit, anyone can. With the support of the folks here, I really hope to see a few of you succeed!

Excellent way of depicting the withdrawl process, A String. Sure, it's trying, but the rewards easliy outshine the inevitable short-term bitchiness that all quitters must endure at the onset. I really hope the quitting members know they can look to us for encouragement, even if only someone to rant at is needed - no problem.

Anyone should please feel free to PM me - I will respond to all, and be on here at least twice a day, if I can be of assistance. The important thing is not to feel alone here. We want to help. :wave:

Originally posted by Bluesape:

Bump - Roll call for quitters - 'Zan, oh 'Zan?

Darklava?

Haga?

Guitar Geezer?

anyone I missed?

Well I only smoked a pack last night. I was in the middle of my paper route (out in the boondocks) and ran out. :cry:

I've got to pick a date to quit first. Probably try no patches,gum or anything this time. I think I'll be OK if I can minimize the time I spend around other people that smoke.

The Edge > Ted Nugent

Slash > Carlton

Originally posted by LPCustom:

Maybe we can get Myles to make a sticky thread for the quitters so they can check in each day. Making your progress public might help you stick to your plan.

Good idea, Bruce

It's no big thing to keep bumping this thread up if he can't.

Haga - thanks for checking in - that's great.

So are we supposed to quit now or on Jan.1? I'd be glad to give it another try.

I'm down to my last pack on this carton of reds. I'll get Lights next time. Maybe try to taper it down as the quit date nears.

The Edge > Ted Nugent

Slash > Carlton

As Guitar Geezer's doc told him, it's always a bad idea to quit during the holidays. This is why January first is usually the best date to start.

The holidays can be stressful and you can be surrounded with a lot of smokers who normally wouldn't be around to tempt you.

Anyone can begin quitting at anytime they wish, but it would be my recommendation to wait until January first.

But, you must set that as your date. Tell your spouses, girlfriends, boyfriends, brothers, sisters, Moms, Dads and friends. Make sure everyone you know, knows.

Not only is it harder to back down once you've told everyone you know, you also have a great support group all set up and ready to be there for you during the rough spots.

Originally posted by A String:

As Guitar Geezer's doc told him, it's always a bad idea to quit during the holidays. This is why January first is usually the best date to start.

The holidays can be stressful and you can be surrounded with a lot of smokers who normally wouldn't be around to tempt you.

Anyone can begin quitting at anytime they wish, but it would be my recommendation to wait until January first.

But, you must set that as your date. Tell your spouses, girlfriends, boyfriends, brothers, sisters, Moms, Dads and friends. Make sure everyone you know, knows.

Not only is it harder to back down once you've told everyone you know, you also have a great support group all set up and ready to be there for you during the rough spots.

There's a down side to telling "everyone", A String and I'm sure you've seen it. There always seem to be one joker who decides that he's going to try his best to keep you from quitting. He'll probably be a smoker himself who's sure he can't quit.

It seems like there's a spoiler no matter what you're trying to do or stop doing. I'll bet there are some folks here who have dealt with this kind of jerk and know what do about it.

Born on the Bayou

I'm not going to mention it to anybody. I've made the great "I'm gonna quit" proclamation too many times. Then if you aren't successful not only are you still smoking, you come off as someone who doesn't do what they say they are going to do.

The Edge > Ted Nugent

Slash > Carlton

Haga - You're the only smoker here who keeps checking in. That means you're serious, and that's great. I wish the others wouldn't avoid posting to this thread, but we're all grownups. :cry:

We're here for you. Ya need to rant, bitch, moan, .... no problem. that's what a support group does. If you're the only one who succeeds, it's still a victory. :thu:

I've been hooked more or less for the past 2 years. It's just hard to quit when you have friends that are always smoking. But im happy to say im going on day two without a ciggerette and the addiction is pretty much gone. Mind over matter is all

one thing that's helping me for the moment: I've got a cold and my throat hurts. I dont even wana think about having a smoke. That and when i'm sick and i was smoking before, I'd get rediculous asthma.

I think im going to feel great once this cold's gone and my sences are rejuvinated and my craving's 100% gone.

Hang in there guys...

Nice goin' JJ! Keep it up. I'll have to put it off until Jan.1

Might as well quit though because smoking these cowgirl killers (Marlboro Lights) is teh sux!

The Edge > Ted Nugent

Slash > Carlton

Archived