Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Quit Smoking Club.

A String

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No cutting back yet..

After Jan.1, I'll definitely have to start arriving at work just before time to clock in. If I get there early and hang out with the smokers, I'll never make it one day.

quote:Originally posted by mdrs:

It's pure B.S., and obvioulsy inaccurate. I suspect it is posted for effect, not for accuracy.

John Petrucci > Johnny Winter

The Edge > Ted Nugent

Guitar One Mag > Guitarplayer

Slash > Carlton

Good to see you, Haga. Avoid the smokers. Failure loves company. You can't be around people who insist on torturing you by smoking in your presence. Give 'em a wide berth. Your real friends will understand. Hell with the ones who don't. :thu:
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Well if I can do this I'll probably lose 20-30 pounds just because I won't be drinking so many sodas. The two kinda go hand in hand.

It would be nice to not have that pasta pouch sticking out past my belt buckle. :P

It's pure B.S., and obvioulsy inaccurate. I suspect it is posted for effect, not for accuracy.

The Edge > Ted Nugent

Slash > Carlton

http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/cool/cool-smiley-031.gif

The Edge > Ted Nugent

Slash > Carlton

One thing someone said on here and I've heard it for years. Why would the holidays be "stressful"? I'm always very relaxed during the holidays. Especially since I know I'm taking vacation between Christmas and New Years. The stressful time of year for me is tax day (April 15th) in the US.

Born on the Bayou

Originally posted by A String of Lights:

January is still aways off...I don't expect too much until then.

Either way, keeping it bumped up every once in a while is a good idea.

Starting the first it will be the patches,I've had

some luck with them before

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

A friend of mine quit by using the patch, I used the gum. I think if you find something that works for you, that's the way to go.

The important thing isn't how you quit, it's that you quit.

As January first approaches, I want to offer my help as much as possible. Anyone who wants, may feel free to PM me.

Originally posted by A String of Lights:

A friend of mine quit by using the patch, I used the gum.

Just to bump this thing up...

I'm not sure how well the patches work. I noticed at the time that if I wanted a cig then no amount of patches were going to satisfy me. I needed to have a cig and THEN put the patch on. After that it weas pretty clear sailing.

And those patches were scary shit. You'd take them off and you'd have this crap that looked like apricot jam underneath. I guess it shows what nicotine can do but it was pretty yukky on top of it.

Never tried the chewey.

I tried acupuncture once and it worked for about 12 hours and then it wore off and I must have smoked two cigarettes at the same time, I was really craving them. Nice idea, acupuncture, but you can't get it done every 12 hours. Not unless you're a millionaire with nothing to do all day.

http://www.websmileys.com/sm/smoking/rauch28.gif

The Edge > Ted Nugent

Slash > Carlton

So, are the quitters on schedule? (quitters, here, is not meant negatively) Everyone got their plan ready?

Anyone want to post a "quit smoking" plan that worked for them? You know, how to cope with the first day, then the second. Supposedly the first two weeks are the killer. After that is supposed to be not quite so bad.

Born on the Bayou

I've tried the patches before. They do help. Instead of going by their program I'll probably just get the second stage patches. In a way those long drawn out programs with stage after stage of drawing down the dosage just prolong the pain and suffering. :cry:

The Edge > Ted Nugent

Slash > Carlton

Originally posted by LPCustom:

Anyone want to post a "quit smoking" plan that worked for them? You know, how to cope with the first day, then the second.

I got quite a bit from this book

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1402718616/qid=1133429046/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-6558694-0770230?n=507846&s=books&v=glance

I'm not plugging the book: for me it worked in fits and starts.

But I liked the book because it discusses all the mental barriers one puts up in order to keep smoking and explains either why they're bullshit or how you can use them to your advantage.

My favourite one was the one about "I don't have the willpower to give up smoking". The author points out that it takes a lot more willpower to KEEP smoking than it does to simply give it up.

After all, if you have the willpower to maintain a habit that sees you wandering streets at night looking for cigarettes, if you have the will power to keep smoking in the face of worsening health, and in spite of the rising cost of smoking and the social exclusion it entails... if you have that sort of willpower you have willpower enough to give up the habit.

The author also points out that you're better off going cold turkey because there's nothing worse that cutting dowm. You are always thinking "only another two and a half hours and I can have a cigarette" or whatever. If you cold turkey you start off with a clean slate and get out of all that clock watching.

Archived