Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

help with guitar body handcarved in the Amazon Jungle

Amazonguitar1

I have played guitar for over 15 years. But my occupation is Author and wildlife lecturer. I travel to the Amazon rainforest every 8 weeks. While in one of the Amazon villages I live in, I became friends with a very talented wood carver. Last week while in his hut he hand carved me a guitar body from bloodwood. It blew my mind It was even blessed by a Shaman.

I am looking for advice on how to set it up to be a real sweet ax. Needless to say I am having this villager make more in all different styles, themes, and wood.. Your advice is priceless thanks Please go to my website and check it out.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is absolutely gorgeous - hopefully it's the back of the guitar body, as you won't be able to mount hardware without carving flat surfaces for the bridge, pickups, etc., and destroying the look.

Some people here are going to perceive this thread as spam(advertising), and will likely object to its being here. There is a section set aside for vendors, and it would be welcome there. Good luck.

Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

I'm not sure if this is truly SPAM or not, but I love the wood. The carving is not quite "my thang", but I love the color and grain of the wood. Bloodwood has always been on my "Short List" of interesting woods.

I don't know this guy well enough yet (maybe another reason for posting this in the other thread) to determine whether or not this is spam, or an honest outpouring of passion for the carving, guitar and sharing with others.

[edit] ... as for how to "set it up" (i.e. determine and machine locations for the hardware); I'll leave that to other, much more experienced than I in the area. Jim, are you there?

[edit2] Jim, I saw your guitar in the new products section of the latest Guitar Player mag that I picked up :cool: Congratulations! :thu:

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

Damn that is a gorgeous piece.

Well Amazonguitar, you should:

a: show both sides of that piece, it would be a shame to rout out those reliefs.

b: make it clear that you are looking for woodworking advice AND offering more pieces in a commercial context. This thread would be the place for the former more than the latter.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Originally posted by Amazonguitar1:

I have played guitar for over 15 years... I am looking for advice on how to set it up to be a real sweet ax. Needless to say I am having this villager make more in all different styles, themes, and wood..

Well, if you've been playing for 15 years and all, then I'm sure you already know that you'd have to rout out a lot of the front of the guitar so you can put in the pickups and neck, so the picture on your site is obviously of the BACK of the guitar.

Maybe you should buy a bunch of cheap ass Chinese copies of guitars, dump everything but the body and then give them to the villager as samples or templates so he can have a better idea of what the heck he's meant to be carving? He'd obviously have to make sure that the measurements of the routed cavities were correct, of course, but anyone with a ruler can do that. :) You should also make sure that whatever wood you are using actually has decent acoustic properties.

And now, get thee to a spammery.

Originally posted by Bluesape:

I was thinking it could be the back of a southpaw guitar, or a reverse photo - either way, it's advertising, but worthy of a spot in the vendors section.

Uhmmm... as they say in the classics, "perhaps".

But I think that, judging by the shape of the horns, we are looking at a front-on photograph of a strat type body. Presumably the back hasn't been carved, otherwise there'd be a photo of it too.

Undoubtedly high quality work...HOWEVER...at some point the body will "check", or split(the more common term)once it's out of the high humidity environment. I would be way surprised if it didn't.

To do the carving right...The LUMBER it's made from needs to be properly kiln dried, THEN assembled into a carvable blank.

And I would NEVER trust a one piece body blank to be stable from a primitive source such as this one.

Beautiful work though.

Originally posted by Dances With Werewolves:

Are 100% of the profits going to those hut-craftin' rainforest villagers?

That'd be nice. It'd be the right thing to do here...

...yup...

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

Here's my suggestion:

Keep it well oiled or place it in a climate controlled enclosure and hang it on the wall next to your autographed self-portrait.

As an instrument... this will be nothing more than a blunt instrument to be swung about for purposes of self defence.

Nice... wall art.

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

Archived