Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gibsons

sgspeciallover

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gibson, like many other famous brands, have made their fair share of wonderful guitars. Perhaps more recently they seem to have had a proportion of some that aren't so good.

As everyone here keeps saying - every guitar is individual. You have to play lots of them to (a) understand what actually appeals to you, and (b) find THE ONE. You'll know - it'll speak to you - literally.

If you have found THE ONE, then you are a very lucky chap and I wish you joy with it.

The rest of us keep looking.

Geoff

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

great guitars, for someone else... I'm having problems with the shorter scale, something I can 'solve' by looking at the neck while playing and with the 'controls': I use volume changes a lot in my playing and on a Fender I just have to turn 1 knob, but on a Gibson(style) I have to turn 2, which is exactly 1 too many to do in between two chords. I like the sound, though, probably why I play a Tele Thinline '72 RI: 2 humbuckers (familiar? ;) ) but only 1 volume control and "my" scale length
- due to recent cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel has been SWITCHED OFF

I've always been a Gibson person too but the prices of their guitars are getting downright silly.

I'd love to get an ES-335 but the prices I saw in GC for these guys range from $2000.00 - $3000.00. If I really wanted a new one, I could get it but I just don't see spending that kind of money. So, I'll either buy and Epiphone Dot or get a used 335.

Thank God I already have a Les Paul. I don't think I'd want to get a new one.

Gibson in my opinion is the most over rated guitar company ever. They made a few classic instruments 50 or more years ago but they are very inconsistant over the last 30 years at least. They have serious quality control issues. A guitar that cost over $1000 should be perfect as far as basic craftsmanship is concerned. A guitar with a flaw in it should be marked as a second and sold for a huge discount.

In highschool and college I always wanted a Les Paul but couldn't afford one till I graduated. I went shopping in every music store in the Dallas/Fort Worth area and found no good ones. I ended up buying a Gibson ES-347 but didn't notice till much later that the neck didn't align with the body. The strings are off center. This isn't just a single incedent, lots of Gibsons I have seen have little problems with them.

If a few famous players hadn't played Les Pauls, Gibson would not be able to sell their instruments for half of what they get for them. First of all, most of them are so one dimensional. A screaming Les Paul lead tone is a wonderous thing indeed, but it sounds dead on a clean setting, no life. Of course there is a place for this dead tone in some music, its just not a favorite of mine.

I am thinking on building a Les Paul type guitar from Warmoth with a different pickup configuration just so I can get more tones. I can basicly get a higher quality guitar with all the features I want for about a 3rd of the price of what Gibson would charge.

You can find some really nice Gibsons out there. But just because it has their logo doesn't mean its good. It would take alot of searching and playing to find a great one. I would certainly never buy one over the internet, either new or used, since the chances of getting a good one are pretty slim.

Let's see, what's in the house right now:

'87 ES335. I got it dirt cheap. Some massive work on the frets and fingerboard and it is a FANTASTIC player. Probably my #1.

70's LP GoldTop Deluxe. Weighs a TON, great action, unique LP tone with the mini-buckers. I've never been able to find that sweet spot with pick-up height where both the neck and the bridge have a great tone, AND a reasonable equal output. There's too much compromise for my liking. Many LP guitars I've played have had a "tubby", for lack of a better word, feel and tone to the low E string. There are definitely some great LP's out there, but there are some dogs too. Also true for Fender, PRS, etc. I've never played a Rickenbacker that was a dog, unless it had been badly abused. That's not a guitar problem, that's an owner problem.

Epiphone Elitist Byrdland. I played this for a few hours heads up against a '67 Gibson Byrdland. It's 98% of the guitar for 30% of the $$$. I know that the used price is a fracttion of what I paid only a month ago, but up against a "real" Gibson, it's a bargain at twice the price.

It ALWAYS boils down to play it first, before you buy.

Peace,

Paul

Peace,

Paul

----------------------

I am a confirmed Gibson "fan". I have several Gibson guitars and the only one I don't really care for is the Explorer. All of mine are absolutely spot-on with regard to quality of build, materials and finish.

I have never seen a bad Gibson guitar. And I have seen and played a fairly large number of them. I always check the new Gibson guitars when I go to a music store. I have seen a couple of designs from Gibson that I don't care for but that's a design issue and not one of quality.

I have 2 Les Pauls (a '77 Custom and an '85 Studio), an ES-335, an Explorer, a Blue Ridge Special, and an SG Standard. All Gibson. I've not found a bad one, yet. And I've never seen one with any of the defects that people keep complaining about.

Born on the Bayou

Gruupi,

As I stated before, I think they're way overpriced but I'm not so sure about the quality control issues. Admittedly, I probably haven't played as many Gibsons as you have.

I will say this though: the Les Paul I have has been in my closet for about 10 years. I pulled it out, restrung it, set it up the best I could(will get a professional setup job on it after some of the other bills are paid) and this thing stays in tune!

But again, the prices are too high for me.

gruupi, i understand where your coming from, ive met other people who feel the same way. i havent played hardly any gibsons, matter of fact ive only played my sg, but if every gibson has half the quality that this guitar has, then i would have to say that they make the best guitars around. i got a great deal on mine on ebay, i got it for 600 plus 75 shipping and that sorta thing. if anyone is considering a gibson, the sg is the way to go, unless of course, you can afford a les paul
BBBBBOOOOOYYYYAAAAA

I was probably a bit harsh. A good Gibson is a great instrument. Its just that I have seen to many of them that were mediocre or just plain bad. I can afford to buy just about any instrument I need, well not any vintage stuff. But for anything over a grand, it should be REAL good. Finding a great sounding and looking piece of wood is always going to be hard. That is what sets the special guitars apart. But to ship any guitar with defects is inexcusable, especially if you want to keep a reputation of building fine guitars.

Like I said, i have always wanted to find a special one, but I just haven't had the luck. I had a Nighthawk for awhile but it didn't stay in tune well and just never sounded all that good. Maybe my playing style doesn't bring out the tone in a Gibson, I am sure that is a factor too. I wouldn't sell my ES-347 for sentimental reasons, it was my first real guitar.

Over the past month or so I have been getting the itch to build a Les Paul type guitar. The lead tones you can really are nice. I guess I need more versatlity than a standard LP. I really love the single coil neck pickup sound and the out of phase settings.

I am not really a collector, I wish I could just have one electric guitar do it all. But I guess Gibsons do have a signature sound that a Strat or tele will never get and vice versa. Dang it you guys, now I am wanting a Les Paul again hehe.

I sold my LP. It just wasn't for me. However, I do really enjoy the history of Gibson Les Pauls and would love a '59 re-issue burst. Most probably it would not be my favorite player tho. I'd keep it behind glass and just look at it.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Originally posted by Gruupi:

I was probably a bit harsh. A good Gibson is a great instrument. Its just that I have seen to many of them that were mediocre or just plain bad. I can afford to buy just about any instrument I need, well not any vintage stuff. But for anything over a grand, it should be REAL good. Finding a great sounding and looking piece of wood is always going to be hard. That is what sets the special guitars apart. But to ship any guitar with defects is inexcusable, especially if you want to keep a reputation of building fine guitars.

Like I said, i have always wanted to find a special one, but I just haven't had the luck. I had a Nighthawk for awhile but it didn't stay in tune well and just never sounded all that good. Maybe my playing style doesn't bring out the tone in a Gibson, I am sure that is a factor too. I wouldn't sell my ES-347 for sentimental reasons, it was my first real guitar.

Over the past month or so I have been getting the itch to build a Les Paul type guitar. The lead tones you can really are nice. I guess I need more versatlity than a standard LP. I really love the single coil neck pickup sound and the out of phase settings.

I am not really a collector, I wish I could just have one electric guitar do it all. But I guess Gibsons do have a signature sound that a Strat or tele will never get and vice versa. Dang it you guys, now I am wanting a Les Paul again hehe.

I'll bet cha me and LPcustom could take ya to GC and sit down for awhile and find an LP you would love ..in fact I bet 5 you would love!! I was there this morning and found a few oh and a couple of SG's too.

Originally posted by EmptinessOFYouth:

you can say it..but your wrong

amen :thu:

i worked in a retail guitar shop and got play several hundred Gibsons in that time. in my opinion, they are inconsistent at best and the most often returned for manufacturers defects.

Heritage, Hamer, & PRS all make better guitars that actually justify the price tag IMO.

Originally posted by Funk Jazz:

Originally posted by EmptinessOFYouth:

you can say it..but your wrong

amen :thu:

i worked in a retail guitar shop and got play several hundred Gibsons in that time. in my opinion, they are inconsistent at best and the most often returned for manufacturers defects.

Heritage, Hamer, & PRS all make better guitars that actually justify the price tag IMO.

I've owned three very nice Hamers. Very LP like, but very consistant high quality as opposed to inconsistant high quality. I would recommend them to anyone seeking.

A local store here has a vertually unplayed 1984 Gibson Custom in White/gold. The store owner sold it new to an older fella who got sick and passed away when it was on order. The store owner bought it back from his widow. He wants some rediculous price (about $3500). I would never give him that kind of money expecially for a Norlin era LP, but I sure do like looking at it.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Well, with Gibson your also buying the history. You can buy a Hamer, or a PRS, but when it comes down to it, your buying a Gibson (or Fender) rip off. I feel there are only two types of guitar people, Fender and Gibson. And really theres no turning anyone the other way. Our experiences and styles will always outweigh what people try to say. I recognize Fender, and I appreciate what theyve done. I love the sound of a Tele, and Im even willing to admit that Strats have their own advantages. BUT, these just arent for me. To each his or hers own.
hot girls, fast cars, and even louder guitars

This reminds me of an old LP thread. At this point in my life money, more than anything makes the decisions on what gear I can buy. I agree with KPB and Gruupi in that you pay too much for that Gibson name now. Same with Fender. I too have really wanted that "Gibson" sound lately, but I realize that "sound" is mostly the combination of mahogany and humbuckers, and many companies offer that combo. I just think it makes sense to set a budget and look at everything you can afford. After building a Warmoth Tele, I'm very happy with the results and believe that I could build a killer Warmoth LP/SG style guitar for around $1000. Far less than you would pay for a Gibson and this would include duncan's and locking tuners. I think if you can afford $3000 on a guitar you should try all your options and for $3000 you can no doubt get a killer custom guitar.

Originally posted by LPCustom:

I am a confirmed Gibson "fan". I have several Gibson guitars and the only one I don't really care for is the Explorer. All of mine are absolutely spot-on with regard to quality of build, materials and finish.

I have never seen a bad Gibson guitar. And I have seen and played a fairly large number of them. I always check the new Gibson guitars when I go to a music store. I have seen a couple of designs from Gibson that I don't care for but that's a design issue and not one of quality.

I have 2 Les Pauls (a '77 Custom and an '85 Studio), an ES-335, an Explorer, a Blue Ridge Special, and an SG Standard. All Gibson. I've not found a bad one, yet. And I've never seen one with any of the defects that people keep complaining about.

WELL..gonna have to say it again.. Ive never found even one bad Gibson! What I have found is bad DEALER setup..bad DEALER cosmetic care...what I do is find a Gibson I am interesed..sit down and play it for a half hour in the acoustic room UNPLUGGED...listen to it make a few adjustments maybe on the bridge..go to an clean Fender amp plug it in...see if the pickups are wired correctly and BUY IT!!! go directly to my tech..and DONE!!!! My PRS's are so close in everyway to my Les Pauls its not even worth trying to compare them!

im not sayin gibsons arent good, i just dont understand why this thread was started and why he has the view he does.. he said hes only played on gibson...how can you have any basis of an opinion on one guitar? Cause theres a lot of guitars out there that rock and there not all gibsons...like it or not, even when it comes to genral quality. And just so you know dude, when sgs first came out they sucked. They had les pauls name on em at first, but when they came out, he tried it...and gibson fucked alot of stuff up...guitar was set up horrible....so he removed his name from it...and what about other types of guitars? does gibson make the best acoustics? basses? etc...i dont hate gibsons at, i think les pauls are awesome, sgs too, but i think your an idiot

and im not mad or anything, though i did rant for awhile..just puttin it out there

Lee,

I want to get a setup job on my LP soon. The only place I know of to get that done around here is one of the dealers (Sam Ash or GC). I could look for an independent tech (easy enough to find on the web) but I wouldn't know the person's reputation.

Any suggestions? If not, I'm probably going to take the LP to GC and when it's finished, check the hell out of the fretboard for intonation, fret buzz, dead spots, etc.

I live for the Gibson experience. And when I need a break, it's back to my Strats and Ric's for a while. But, I keep coming back to my Gibsons. Or other HB equipped guitars. Mostly because of the mix because I'm with a trio and I like the fatter tone of HB's. Any HB it seems. I've got something of 4 or 5 different types. Lessee now,...Gibson, DiMarzio, Seymour Duncan, Ibanez, Rickenbacker.

The thread was started because the guy just scored an SG Special and he's lovin' it. He's just shouting out to the world that it's a blast. Funny thing,...I fealt the same way too back then in 65 when I got mine. It was a real SG Special (Pete Townshend type Sig with P90's.) I wish I still had it. Yah! You know the story. I had to up-grade and money was tight.

Now, ...money ain't tight no more.

I still look for deals and when I see a deal I go check it out. I don't need a spotless condition Gibson. It has to play well and be in tune without cracks or warped necks. Tuners and bridge parts are easily replaced.

In the past 10 years up here in Vancouver, B.C., I've found an 80 V for $550 w/ohsc (all in cdn$), 90 Explorer w/ohsc-$700, 78 LP Standard w/Kahler + ohsc-$2,000.

I went and played them, liked the feel and sound, didn't mind the nicks, dings and scratches, paid the bill and went on my merry way.

Buying a Gibson brand new is a tough thing if you want something fancy. Yes they are expensive! And if you don't look closely at what you're contemplating, it's sort of your fault isn't it? How many idiots have had their hands on it?

So far the only new Gibson I've ever scored lately was an 04 Firebird VII for $2,275 but after 13% tax + a nice strap and some extra strings and all, it was closer to $2,700. Outch! (That SG Special in 65 and an LP Deluxe in 70 were the only others I've bought new). But I had to have it! FB's don't show up for sale used in these parts. (Pacific NorthWest) No quality issues here. No flaws and she rocks.

I either practice with my trio plugged in direct to the board and we all monitor through headphones, (the drummer uses an electric Roland drum kit) or I jam with my buddies full blast through 100w Marshalls at a studio we rent on the Noth Shore for $15/hr. At full blast through a 100w Marshall tube amp, anything sounds great. Plugged in direct,...it's gotta be my Gibsons. Lots of guitar players don't like "direct". They'll say it's too "cold" or "sterile". You have to use too many effects to get a rockin' sound. They won't say it's "Too honest". Like,...you can hear every mistake you make. And every lousy tone you get when you falter.

Maybe my opinion doesn't count because I'm more into used Gibsons and everything else that catches my eye but then again, I'm gassin' for this 'Faded' or 'worn' 05 ES333 w/496R & 500T brand new for $1,795. And it's beaut. Flawless.

If you can afford it, or aren't too fussy about appearances when buying used , Gibsons do a good job of it. Just don't buy anything that's broken.

Archived