Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gibsons

sgspeciallover

Originally posted by KPB:

Lee,

I want to get a setup job on my LP soon. The only place I know of to get that done around here is one of the dealers (Sam Ash or GC). I could look for an independent tech (easy enough to find on the web) but I wouldn't know the person's reputation.

Any suggestions? If not, I'm probably going to take the LP to GC and when it's finished, check the hell out of the fretboard for intonation, fret buzz, dead spots, etc.

KPB, ya if you where around here I really set you up good!! but in RI..I dunno... I could try to get ahold of my bud Bill Perry who is over in NJ and ask him if he recommends anyone there.. but yes your GC or Sam Ash would be a good starting point, you arent in contact with any players in your area I guess? at least not yet! word of mouth is a pretty good way too.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, emptiness, another thing is usually when you play only one guitar thas all youll love. Even if you try other things, its just not what you like. I first started on an sg, and now have added an LP, both Epi, but basically Gibson. Thing is once i picked em up, i loved them. Ive played strats, teles, and various ibanez, jackson, and guitars to that extent, but I always love going back to my Epi/Gibson.

On, another note, the SG didnt suck in general when it first came out. Its true that Les took his name off, but thats because Gibson was trying to make it a lighter more stylistic LP. Thing is Les didnt like it because of these things. Too light, didnt like the horns, neck joint wasnt how he liked it. It would be the same thing as if Fender built the Tele, to be a "new" Strat, the guy who came up with the Strat prolly wouldnt like the Tele at all. Hell i cant stand most any guitar that looks like an LP, but doesnt have Gibson or Epi on it. My bro has a PRS single cut, I cant stand the thing.

hot girls, fast cars, and even louder guitars

Originally posted by revorhythm:

...On, another note, the SG didnt suck in general when it first came out. Its true that Les took his name off, but thats because Gibson was trying to make it a lighter more stylistic LP. Thing is Les didnt like it because of these things. Too light, didnt like the horns, neck joint wasnt how he liked it...

It's true Les didn't care for the SG style when it came out, but I think getting rid of the endorsement also had somethng to do with his divorce from Mary Ford that was taking place shortly after the "Les Paul SG" came out. I think he was trying to reduce his reported income to minimize alimony payments.

BTW - I love the LP Jr., Byrdland and ES335 electrics and the J45 and J160 acoustics. I've always struggled playing regular LPs and most SGs (although I've always loved the sound of the SG and have occasionaly come across one I was comfortable playing). This coming from someone who plays a Gretsch (with a shorter scale) and a Strat (with a longer scale).

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

there is more to the guitar world than Gibson and Fender. nothing wrong with 'em. but they aren't the only decent axes out there.

i am pleased that the Gibby guys like thier LP and SG guitars. i wouldn't mind having an SG.

and i love the hell out of my LG sp90.

but i am not married to a Brand name. i get googely eyed at all kinds of guitars. i like 'em all. some more than others.

Les Paul = beautiful girl going to a fancy ball, who just happens to be able to kick someones butt if she needs to.

SG= that girl that is a little rough around the edges and your not supposed to take home to meet your mother. i like her ;)

I own 5 Gibsons and dearly love them all, and they all date back to an era when QC wasn't as consistant as it could be. I used to really want a LP once, and played literally hundreds to find one that felt right to me, after cutting my teeth on a Tele. I found 3 out of those hundreds that I would have bought, but each time, money was too tight. They are definitely not uniform in neck size and feel. Sonically, I've never heard a bad one. My 175, 2 355's, J200 and V have been very satisfying guitars, but I'm another who wouldn't pay the prices they're bringing today. I've seen too many SG's break to trust one not to - they really are fragile compared to a Tele or Strat, and can't fall over without a real risk of damage. No one should let their guitars fall off stands or from leaning against amps, but it happens, especially on crowded stages. Where we host our Friday night jams, customers are always too close to the gear, and the risk of damage is greater. My Gibsons stay home away from these gigs. The couple of occasions when I have brought one of them I worried about it all night. Now I just bring workhorses that can take a pounding or won't break my heart if a bad ding or worse happens. In other rooms, where I don't have the worry about drunken customers bumping into gear, I'll bring a Gibson along for the joy of hearing and playing it, but it won't be the main axe on any given night, as I've never found them as comfortable and controllable as a Strat-type. So, in response to the OP - congrats on your SG, just give it more care than a tougher, bolt-on maple necked guitar would need, and it will grow old with you.
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

My most recent guitar purchase was that I finally broke down and got an LP copy (made by ESP) that plays and sounds great, for under $1,000 U.S. I`ve played a fair number of Gibsons and don`t feel I`m missing much considering the price difference. Mahogany bod, double Duncan HB on board. It definitely has its own sonic footprint. I did some informal jamming /recording with it over the summer, I only wish I could have played more (of course). I`d post a pic but too lazy at the moment.

If there was a `guitars you just don`t get` thread, the SG would be my choice. I`ve played a few but they do nothing for me, they`re not ergonomically balanced, don`t have an identifiable sound as far as I can tell. Good choice for someone, not me.

I agree with Bluesape about having guitars you can take to the tough part of town and not worry. Life is full of enough heartbreak as it is.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

I like Gibson's guitars. Are they overpriced? Possibly. Are they expensive? Definitely. It would hurt financially to have to replace my ES-335 or my Les Paul Custom.

I like Fender's guitars, too. They are tools created for a job. And they perform splendidly in the job they were designed to do.

I also like other guitar builders. I've never played a PRS I didn't like or a Parker. I've played _lots_ of guitars over the last 35 years. But the builders that I actually bought from you can count on your fingers. Gibson, Fender, Taylor, Martin, Ibanez, Rickenbacker, Scheckter, Gretsch and Parker. (I'm counting Squier under Fender and Epiphone under Gibson) Oops, forgot Washburn, Dean and Godin.

Every one of those manufacturers makes good guitars. Are there others, certainly. There are lots of them. And _every_ manufacturer of _anything_ makes occasional bad ones. An example is the Hamer I bought recently. I expected a much better guitar. I got a turkey. But I suspect it was well below the normal level of quality for Hamer guitars. It happens.

Some are more consistent in their quality than others and some just have better designs than others.

I have owned over 50 guitars in the last 35 years. I have played a lot more than that.

Gibsons and Fenders have been consistently good. Most of the other manufacturers have, too. So why do I stick with the Fenders and the Gibsons? Because they nearly cover the entire range of sounds I want to make. I could get by with one Les Paul, one Strat and one Telecaster. I have more than one LP, Strat and Tele because I needed a backup.

For me, everything else is just candy. I only have them because I can afford them and I like something specific about them.

I talk like having to give up some guitars would be traumatic. It wouldn't. I change guitars all the time. There are some that I would really hate to lose because I've had them for so long that I've gotten attached to them (28 years for my Les Paul Custom). They have lots of sentimental value. But that's only a few of them.

Do I consider Gibson the best guitar manufacturer? Maybe, maybe not. I don't know. They build very good guitars. And they've been at it for a long time. I would like to point out that ALL of my Gibsons (except the Blue Ridge Special and the Explorer) are products of the Gibson Custom Shop.

Fender builds good guitars, too. As does Parker, Gretsch, PRS, Rickenbacker and a host of others.

Nearly every manufacturer builds really good guitars _sometimes_. Some do it _far_ more often than others. Some only do it rarely.

Sure the best made by some builders are exceptional. While the best made by others are just pretty good. The trick is to winnow out the bad ones and find the jewels in the price range you can live with.

Born on the Bayou

Originally posted by LPCustom:

But the builders that I actually bought from you can count on your fingers. Gibson, Fender, Taylor, Martin, Ibanez, Rickenbacker, Scheckter, Gretsch and Parker. (I'm counting Squier under Fender and Epiphone under Gibson) Oops, forgot Washburn, Dean and Godin.

Um, isn't that 12 builders? LPCustom, just how many fingers do you have?!? :eek::):P

I have an Epiphone Wildkat - it's a fine guitar for the price. As for Gibsons, except for the SG and Flying V, they're too expensive for me to even consider trying out at the store ... I wouldn't want to risk liking one so much I spend money I don't have ...

Originally posted by Noodlesbad:

Um, isn't that 12 builders? LPCustom, just how many fingers do you have?!? :eek::):P

Only got eight fingers and two thumbs (counted as fingers below).

Actually, you can count up to thirty on just 10 fingers if you know how. ;) On your left hand, each finger counts as five. Count to five on the right hand and bend one on the left down each time you reach five on the right. Do that five times (that's 25) then you have five left on the right hand still. That makes 30.

Besides, I forgot Agile, G&L, Yahama, Hohner and Steinberger. ;)

Born on the Bayou

... you can count up to thirty on just 10 fingers if you know how. ;) On your left hand, each finger counts as five. Count to five on the right hand and bend one on the left down each time you reach five on the right. Do that five times (that's 25) then you have five left on the right hand still. That makes 30.

Too complex! I just take off my shoes. :D

I think Gibson had too long of a reign as the only mass-produced high-end manufacturer, and before the Fenderphiles power up their flamethrowers - yes - Fender is topnotch as well, but has always been more affordable across the board. GM's Cadillac division, Rolls Royce, Jaguar, and Lincoln have all learned that brand loyalty only goes so far, and that if people are given viable choices that are the equal or better, AND more affordable, they'll jump the fence, as it were. We now have far more choices than just Gretsch, Guild, and Rickenbacker as alternatives to Gibson and Fender. I feel that Gibson, more than any other major brand, is pricing itself out of the market, while resting on old laurels. Today's consumer is more analytical, more informed, and more aggressive about receiving value for his dollar. I for one would love to own more Gibsons, but not at the cost of two American Deluxe strats or six Godin Freeway Classics per Les Paul, 335, or J200. At some point, logic takes over, and a more fiscally viable choice will be made.

price a PRS McCarty in my neck of the woods, local store has it listed as 5000 bucks but "thier" price is 4200!!!! come on Musicstop what the hell?

that is still 1400 more than the flame top honey burst LP in the store.

my buddy bought a McCarty when the exchange rate was shitty for Canada. and it was only 3000 CDN, now our dollar is worth much more and the guitar is suddenly 1200 more? i smell something. :eek:

I agree with Reif that the price of Gibsons seems to gotten pretty high. But not all of the models have gone up the same amount.

The Gibson Les Paul Studio in 1985 cost about $550. Today they cost about $1200. A little over double the price. But about even with inflation.

A 1985 Les Paul Standard cost about $725. Today they cost about $2200. That's 3 times as much. Well above inflation.

In 1985 a Gibson Les Paul Custom cost about $850. Today they cost about $3000. That's about 3.5 times as much. That's much more than inflation.

In 1985 a Gibson ES-335 cost about $750. Today they cost about $2000. That's for a normal reissue. That's also about 2.7 times as much. But the "historic" reissue 335s cost about $3900. That's over 5 times as much. And they are nearly identical to the $2000 335s made today.

It seems that how expensive a Gibson was back in 1985 is related to how expensive it is today. And the more expensive guitars from back then cost much more now than less expensive guitars back then do now.

It's not a linear increase. The more expensive models from then have gotten much more expensive today. I have no idea why.

Looks like a Les Paul Studio is still a pretty good buy. Just like it was in 1985. But a Les Paul Custom today costs much more today in real terms than one did back in 1985 and you don't get any more guitar for much more money. The same is true of the ES-335.

I can't explain it but there it is.

Born on the Bayou

You're right, Bruce - only the ones you really want have skyrocketed. SG Customs are now ridiculously priced. Firebirds and Explorers are a bit more realistic. Poor sellers like double cutaway Les Pauls should be showing up as bargain trades soon, and they're nice guitars, as are 335S's - gone but not forgotten. To its credit, Gibson has never put its name on an offshore product, as far as I know. That does lend it a certain credibility that Fender, Peavey, Parker, Gretsch, and many others gave up years ago. Even Japanese manufacturers are getting them built in China, India, Indonesia, Korea. I know of no other major brand that hasn't taken this bean counting approach. Gibson is as American as GM or Jack Daniels, and that probably has to do with pricing, as American wages are being paid to build its products.

Originally posted by ellwood:

Originally posted by Guitar55:

I fell in love with a 2001 cherry ES-335 reissue for $1800....someday (soon hopefully) I will be able to afford it.

OH MAN!! are you going to LOVE that!! what a sweet instrument that one is! :thu::cool:
I know it! I couldn't put that thing down. I have a major jones goin' on.

Originally posted by Bluesape:

American as GM

That's probably a bad example seeing as how some GMs are actually Toyotas. ;)
I guess my point was it's an American entity, regardless of foreign affiliations. I could have used Smith & Wesson, but that might start more grumbling about NRA, politics, etc.

Originally posted by ellwood:

I fell in love with a 2001 cherry ES-335 reissue for $1800....someday (soon hopefully) I will be able to afford it.

OH MAN!! are you going to LOVE that!! what a sweet instrument that one is! :thu::cool:
I know it! I couldn't put that thing down. I have a major jones goin' on.
I had a video of Fourplay at Newport jazz festival- the sound was really low for some reason but man, Larry Carlton makes that guitar sing...

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

I just _had_ to say something about the possibility of having to replace my 335...

Sorry, Bruce - I just now read the post about the theft - really hope you get a happy ending outta this mess.

Reif

Originally posted by Mudcat:

Originally posted by revorhythm:

...On, another note, the SG didnt suck in general when it first came out. Its true that Les took his name off, but thats because Gibson was trying to make it a lighter more stylistic LP. Thing is Les didnt like it because of these things. Too light, didnt like the horns, neck joint wasnt how he liked it...

It's true Les didn't care for the SG style when it came out, but I think getting rid of the endorsement also had somethng to do with his divorce from Mary Ford that was taking place shortly after the "Les Paul SG" came out. I think he was trying to reduce his reported income to minimize alimony payments...
Exactly right. He was especially upset by the relatively weak neck joint, but his name coming off was all about income/alimony.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived