Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

favorite med to high gain pedal(s)

not coaster MODERATOR

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by not coaster:

money's no object. give me a list to sample tomorrow at truetone music

i'm losing my taste for ts808 tone. no fuzz tones either

Are you looking for clean boost? Or are you looking for distortion?

Electro-Harmonix is making a distortion pedal with a pair of 12ax7's.

Does truetone carry Voodoo Labs? I understand the Sparkle Drive is pretty special.

Have lots of fun and good luck!!!

Vinny Cervoni

vcbluzman@hotmail.com

www.bluzberrypi.com

www.42ndstband.com

- Ibanez Tonelok TS7. Ts9 mode + hot switch

- Ibanez Tonelok DS7. basic distortion pedal

- Boss MT2 Metal Zone. Even though it was first made in 1992, plenty of people still pick one up when the hotter metal tones are demanded. Can be improved upon with several aftermarket mods, but sounds good as it is (to me).

- Boss DS1 Distortion. another great classic box. Works for guitar, bass, and even keyboards.

- Marshall Guvnor GV-2

Originally posted by Gabriel E.:

ProCo RAT.

Its funny I had two of these and I just ordered

another.The first Rat I bought in the eighties.It was different then the one I bought several years later.The old one I liked better.It was smoother.The later model was good but had a pronounced mid boost and felt quite different.

I ordered a vintage Rat in hopes its like the late 80s model .I know thw battery life is 600hrs as opposed to 160 of the non-vintage

You know, this isn't a complaint, and I do it too, but this kind of question is just so open-ended and not really asked with enough particulars to help.

It would help a lot in any of these kinds of questions to supply some idea of what sound you want. Either describe the kind of "high gain" (overdrive? that interact with a tube amp, or distortion? that supply the distortion themselves?) what you are using guitar/amp,

and/or what kinds of gain?

Clapton in "crossroads" or Pantera, or ....?

Just a suggestion for everyone, if you do a little more research or just be a little more specific I bet there are tons of folks here that have some great suggestions.

====================================================

Check out my original music at

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/jacker

"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice,

but not in practice."

a bunch of stuff i never heard of. except the fulltone distortion.

i think one was made by h.b.e or something

it had a checkerboard pattern.

another one required you to use a guitar pick to adjust gain and eq. it was a small black pedal.

lots of others, and tons i didn't try. truetone santa monica is such a bitchen store!

maybe i just don't care for the dr z amp i was using. i'll go back and drag the old deluxe reverb into the audition room next time.

I'll throw in some praise for the ProCo Rats, as well; been a while since I've used one, but late 80's/early 90's I loved it. If you want distortion- not overdrive- I currently like and use the Tech21 Comptortion. Yes, it's an additional effect (compression) but it's a beast!

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Originally posted by Gabriel E.:

ProCo RAT.

I agree, lots of oomph for a little $$$. I've got an old one, looks beat but still works great.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Originally posted by not coaster:

i tried a bunch of really expensive pedals yesterday. as much as i'm trying to find something different than tube screamer i didn't fall in love with any of them.

i'll hold onto my jckyl & hyde in the meantime until something jumps off the shelf

I've heard alot of people praise the J&H, do you not like it?
Yum, Yum! Eat em up!

T-REx 'The Swamp' - dual overdrive, seperate settings for drive A & drive B, mutual tone, level setting

both can go from mild overdrive to heavy, with B a little more 'agressive' than A, swith from off to A OR B, from A to B or back, off from A OR B

best pedal I've had in years (and BOY, do i have some years on me... )

- due to recent cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel has been SWITCHED OFF

Alot of kids i know seem to like the Ibanez smash box. Sounds pretty good but i prefer my Boss metal zone, extremely versatile. although now i like the sound of my amp's distortion better than both so go figure.

Also worth considering are the Barber Burn Unit and the Fulltone Fulldrive II which with the "vintage" toggle switch and the extra boost is a pretty high gain beast. I'vew not played the Barber but their stuff seems well made and really good sounding-- at least the "Tone Press" compressor is.

http://www.barberelectronics.com/burnunit.html

One pedal I'd like to try is the Jacques Aquamarine

http://www.ts808.com/aquamarine.htm

Also the Keeley modded distortions are supposedly over the top with gain-- I've not played through one so I can't speak first hand for it.

http://www.robertkeeley.com/

check out some comedy I've done:

http://louhasspoken.tumblr.com/

My Unitarian Jihad Name: Brother Broadsword of Enlightened Compassion.

there's that dark orange boss dist. that sounds pretty fat, I don't know if it's 'Heavy Metal' or what. Obviously, there's the MEtal Zone, many peeps like the Keeley modded version. Also you might want to try: Tonebone Hot British, Jacques Mercer (I think there are 2 versions)

I'll have the Fulltone FD2 here this week I think, I'm guessing it should be able to do high gain, maybe w/ some 'gain' on the amp's dist channel.

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

Originally posted by Darklava:

369.00 for the swamp :eek: Delay 650.00 boy

they are sure proud of those pedals

I know, and I could NEVER have bought them if I hadn't found them 2nd hand for 110 ($142) a piece (just making sure nobody thinks my real name is rockefeller ;) ) - I got the Swamp first, then was lucky enough the Tremolo didn't sell, so I could pick that one up about 2 months later

found a delay on ebay too, but I wasn't the only one who was after it and someone else's budget stretched a bit further than mine, so... I hope he enjoys it, I know I would have :cry:

- due to recent cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel has been SWITCHED OFF

Seconal...oh, medium, not med...sorry.
Label on the reverb, inside 1973 Ampeg G-212: "Folded Line Reverberation Unit" Manufactured by beautiful girls in Milton WIS. under controlled atmosphere conditions.

Archived