Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Frankenstrat results... and it is goooood!

surgevw

Had my Frankenstrat built up and it was worth the WarmothWait .

Specs:

2002 USA Strat body/ PUs, chrome blue

Warmoth 1-3/4 nut AAA birdseye/AAA birdeye neck, 6100 frets, Wolfgang back profile, Earvana nut 10-16" neck radius (standard Warmoth) Sperzel staggered locking tuners. 5 springs on the trem with D'Addario 115XL strings (.011" set)

Results:

Very pleasing. Nice tone, beautiful birdseye, gorgeous finish well worth the premium wood, Wolfgang contour and 1-3/4" nut have a very nice feel and great tone without being too big. I have biggish hands, but others who do not, have plaed it and like the neck. 1-3/4 is just enough more width up near the nut to keep me from making a mashed finger sandwich out of chords. :thu:

Earvana was no fun for setup for the guitar tech, but it really helps with the intonation. Lots better than my straight nut USA Fat Strat.

Price: about the same as street price for a USA strat.

Regrets: none, but I think I like resowood over maple when doing crazy bends with soft fingertips, but this may change.

Seth

still a noob!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get a huge kick out of my Frankenstrat, knowing that it's essentially my own creation, and it's unique. If I had the woodworking skills, I'd do one from raw materials.

Good luck with yours and health to enjoy it.

Geoff

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Glad to hear it turned out good!

I have a pile of stuff spec'd out at Warmoth that i'd like to pull together into a Frankenstrat too. I'm just waiting for money and gumption :(

Otherwise, i have never ever heard anyone say anything other than outstanding things about Warmoth stuff....

Really gives you that Warm(oth)-n-fizzy feeling...

On the other hand, my gf's grandpa somehow heard me talking about building stompboxes, and now he's suddenly fired up about building a guitar. He's built houses, furniture and just about everything else, but never a musical instrument.

Last i saw him he was showing me a slab of burled redwood that's GOT to be rare and expensive... :eek:

I kinda wonder if i should steer him away from carving that thing up.. it'd make a gorgeous tabletop.

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Originally posted by phaeton:

"I kinda wonder if I should steer him away from carving that thing up.. it'd make a gorgeous tabletop."

:freak:;):D

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Well, that and i don't know what redwood sounds like... maybe it'll look good, but sound like shiite!!

Who'd want that?

Say, anyone know where i can get a slab of mahogany?

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Originally posted by Darklava:

Got any pics?

Bad pics ones for now. I need to take a good one and host it. Maybe this weekend. Til then, I should practice. Can't buy skill, otherwise I would put it on credit :D
still a noob!

Seth, good job that is one sweet looking neck. I should do the exact same thing with my MIM strat since the only complaint I have with it is the neck is just a bit too narrow. I also have an American Deluxe that is a 1/16th wider at the nut, makes a world of difference. Enjoy, thanks for the pic.
I was born at night but I wasn't born last night...

• 6 months later...

By the way, Seth- which scale-length did you go with there?

I remember you were thinking about Warmoth's 24-&-3/4" scaled "conversion" model, as opposed to the standard Fender/Strat-style 25-&-1/2" scale-length...

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/icons/icon14.gif Gorgeous bird's-eye maple, too! Nice pic. I just wish that the headstock was visible, as well.

Are those the "gold"-colored frets, or is it just the way they look in that pic?

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/icons/icon3.gif And phaeton- redwood should sound excellent; it's not common, but it has been used to make some nice guitars before. Like other woods, though, its tonal properties will vary from one piece to another.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Reminds me of the birdseye maple necks on the G&Ls. I covet the "gloss finish over hand-rubbed gun-oil tint". YOWSA!!!!!
Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

Archived