Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yea or nay? Should we keep it or strip it?

Jim Soloway

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not only tedster, but Waterman, too!

I think it looks great; I say, keep it!

It's hard to figure what would look best against it: black, chrome, or gold hardware... I guess I's have to see it in real life with examples of each resting on it for comparison.

Maybe a natural or "vintage tint" all-maple neck 'n' fretboard, too. Mmmmnn... bird's-eye...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by Guitarzan:

wow, i love natural. the stained pic looks good but i am a sucker for natural wood.

Me too. That's the whole problem. Here's one that we're just finishing up. I just love it. It ships out to its new owner tomorrow, but I'm going to get a bunch of photos before it goes.

http://jimsoloway.com/Photos/GuitarProject/SebastianTop1-01-07-05.jpg

http://jimsoloway.com/Photos/GuitarProject/SebastianSHole1-01-07-05.jpg

So do the next figured piece clear or a more naturally colored translucent-tint; don't agonize over this one (the blue one) and burn up time, energy, and other resources (not to mention further removal of wood and visible figure).

It does look very sharp in that blue; it really emphasizes and enhances the quilt-figure, and that particular color and figure suggests water in motion, too. Very nice looking! The only way I could see that particular piece visually improved at all would be if a subtle "burst" shading, a little darker around the edges, were employed.

Really, Jim, it looks beautiful in blue!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I normally hate blue guitars, but I love grain...the blue grain totally works though. There's a million natural grain guitars out there. Be a bit different and go with the blue. I'd finish it off with silver hardware.

Reminds me of the ocean. I love the ocean!

Beautiful shape of guitar btw :thu:

Grizzly Bears Don't Fear Anyone.

Angry Cheetahs Emerge Growling.

I reserve the right to change my opinion at any time!

I love the blue (aqua?) quilt top :love:

... but then I'm a sucker for colored quilt tops :D

imho, don't strip it, don't burst it (darken the edges), just leave it exactly like it is and love her for what she is; a beautiful, unique instrument.

Caevan's eloquent advice is right on :thu:

For me, I'd love a birdseye maple neck/fretboard and chrome hardware; but that's just me, and unfortunately I'm not buying it.

Yes, it's different, for you. That's what makes it so special. Cherish her and love her until her soulmate comes to take her ;)

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

THe color is fine, but I would do two things;

1. Spray the area inside the soundhole black. THe lighter color wood looks distracting to me against the darker top.

2. Use GOLD hardware, including the knobs, and even gold position dots, particularly if you use a dark fretboard. That would really pop against that color scheme.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

KEEP IT! KEEP IT!

Hey, don't forget PBBPaul, who plays a similarly-finished PRS...

It's beautiful! Lemme see how much I've got in my pocket...ooohhh!!! Yeah, baby!!!

Hmmm, black? I'd go for pearlescent off-white to match the binding.

I love that shade.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I'm not a fan of blue or green guitars for myself, but I can appreciate that others like them. That is quite nice, though one could get picky about certain aspects.

Still and all, I agree that the cutout needs treatment (possibly also stained to match), and I really see this with the maple fretboard. Now, here's a thought.... bookmatch seam the fretboard with the same face-wood as the body, or a tiger-stripe (just because dimensionally, the tiger stripe would show up better on the small width of a fretboard...) That would make a cool V thing happening on the fretboard.

Then you could finish it clear, which would rock, for me. But a way out guy might finish the fretboad with the same stain as the body. Even though you know that it will wear... well, the Fender maple necks wear too, and they just look cooler for it as they age.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

I don't like the colour, but that's pretty grain! I'd've liked natural a lot more. But somebody'll love that yucky color, and it's obviously well done!

(The only color I like on guitars is red.)

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

I like both a lot. If you did the aqua with the black hardware that would look very cool, but I like that natural finish too. However, I think because the wood isn't perfectly bookmatched, my vote goes for natural as it seems to hide the imperfections better, and what it doesn't hide it only enhances that way.
Shut up and play.

I'm not much for coloring a quilted pattern, especially as nice as that one.

That being said, I think some will lust heavily after that guitar.

The suggestions to darken the soundhole are spot on. That will really allow the color and pattern to show to it's best.

As to the hardware, either Black or Gold will work. As much as I like Black hardware, I think Gold will really add to the regal look of the guitar.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Archived