Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help me make a Fibson/Gibster

surgevw

I am in a dilemma. I have a 2002 American Fender Strat, chrome blue. But just the body and pickups and tremolo. I want to put a neck on it. I already have a 2001 American Fat Strat. I kind of want a different (heavier)sounding guitar, so I am considering a 24-3/4" Warmoth neck, but in maple, so it looks nice with the chrome blue. (Probably a "Wolfgang profile, or something thicker than the standard) Then route out the body for a neck and bridge humbucker or maybe a P-90 at the neck, a middle single coil and a bridge humbucker. Is this a travesty, carving up a body like this, I mean it probably isn't worth much without a real American Fender neck, right?

I would love to get a mahogany neck but I think it would look bad, and a semi-hollow would be nice, but for now, I think I want to do this.

Also, anyone ever play a Warmoth '59 roundback neck?

Opinions on my project?

Thanks!

Seth

still a noob!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never modded a guitar like that myself, but I don't personally see anything wrong with building a "frankenstrat". In fact, i'd encourage it.

One way to look at it, is that you've just got a pile of parts there. Sure they have a small dollar value, but they are otherwise useless if they just sit.

Sticking a neck, a bridge, and some pickups on it will make it a whole guitar again, and that has value.

I say go for it.

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

I would think you could get pretty top dollar on E-bay if you were to sell the body and electronics separately. Then you could buy a lower priced, high quality body routed for whatever pick-up combination you settle on. You might even end up with some cash left over. :thu:

Do a search on E-Bay to see what genuine Fender American Strat bodies & electronics are going for. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

I wouldn't carve up a classic guitar body or neck. I'd just buy another body and/or neck. They are cheap enough. As has already been mentioned, you might be able to get good money for the un-altered original body.

I'm all for the idea of mixing and matching parts to get a signature sound or an interesting axe.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

I wouldn't carve up a classic guitar body or neck.

Is an '02 a classic or otherwise desireable? I'm not being antagonistic, it's an honest question. There are so many iterations of "stratocaster" these days i don't know what's "rare" and what's "dime-a-dozen".

If it's a top-notch quality body, then i supposed that it's a good piece to start any sort of project with, right? Why build a project out of junk.... Aside from the routing, he's not really doing anything that can't be "undone", and the routing itself won't affect the tone much, will it?

WWND?

Originally posted by phaeton:

Is an '02 a classic or otherwise desireable? I'm not being antagonistic, it's an honest question. There are so many iterations of "stratocaster" these days i don't know what's "rare" and what's "dime-a-dozen".

If it's a top-notch quality body, then i supposed that it's a good piece to start any sort of project with, right? Why build a project out of junk.... Aside from the routing, he's not really doing anything that can't be "undone", and the routing itself won't affect the tone much, will it?

Perhaps 'classic' was a bad choice of words.... I used it in the term of the Strat being a classic body style, and an American Strat, already routed for a standard Strat pickup package, is preped for that setup. It's ready to go. So sell it to someone who wants that setup. If you desire a different setup, why not buy a different Strat blank body, and rout it or have it routed for the desired pickup configuration?

I'm speaking here a a guy who hacked up quite a few guitars in my time, through ignorance, or through just being cheap. Looking back, I wish that I had not done what I have done to some guitars.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Perhaps 'classic' was a bad choice of words.... I used it in the term of the Strat being a classic body style, and an American Strat, already routed for a standard Strat pickup package, is preped for that setup. It's ready to go. So sell it to someone who wants that setup. If you desire a different setup, why not buy a different Strat blank body, and rout it or have it routed for the desired pickup configuration?

Ahh ok.. that makes more sense :thu:

I'm speaking here a a guy who hacked up quite a few guitars in my time, through ignorance, or through just being cheap. Looking back, I wish that I had not done what I have done to some guitars.

We've all had to learn some stuff the hard way, i spose. At least we'll only make those mistakes once. :D

WWND?

Originally posted by bpark@prorec.com:

Bill

well, I got a good deal for a strat minus neck- under $300 shipped, for a mint 2002 American Strat. I would love a Warmoth semi-hollow strat hardtail with a dyded quilt maple top , HxSxH pickups, rear routed, birdseye maple neck. But that costs probably $1300+.

What is the value of a 2002 American Strat with a 2002 American Strat neck? an eBay deal would be $300 for a neck and then it would need tuners, and a 2002 American Strat isn't worth any more than $700, I don't think.

Does routing the body decrease the value that much? (should I even worry? I also have a virginal 2001 American Fat Strat) I can get another pickguard and stuff it with humbuckers.

I don't want/like Gibson LP bodies/necks, otherwise I would just buy one...

Seth

still a noob!

I like Fibson Gibster and I think you should register that name, or write a little novel about a wizard guitar player (12 years old) that has guitar super powers. Anyway I want one. FIBSON GIBSTER, factory authorized. Well I know how you feel. It seems I'm never completely satisfied until I modify it ( sometimes to death) I just put a warmoth neck on a 2000 American Deluxe strat. That was the best modification I've ever done. I still have the old neck but the Warmoth blows it away. I chose Padauk wood and a rosewood fretboard with jumbo stainless steel frets, compound radius and an Earvana nut. I do love this settup, but I have toyed with the idea of putting one of those Carvin humbucking blades in the bridge position to give it a little more fullnes in those positions. It's also a 24 3/4 scale which I'm also liking.(once I got used to it) I do like the idea of not carving up the body though and selling the parts you have to start fresh and get what you want . Those Warmoth parts are really good and don't forget good old Carvin. Their stuff in my opinion is first rate also. good luck

tim

All my stuff is here: www.timothychipman.com

Ok, for the moment, no routing. B(ill?) Park has swayed me. Maybe some of those P-90 sounding Lindy Fralin steel pole pickups with the 25% over wind or a single coil sized humbucker. Heck, I have a while to wait while Warmoth makes me a neck. Gonna place an order for a neck Monday. Still curious what a '59 roundback is like. I didn't mind the Warmoth boatneck I tried this week (1-3/4" nut, bubinga) a littel thick, but not too bad. The total lack of taper was noticable. I would want a rounder back, but the boatneck isn't all that much of a "V".

Anyone use a '59 roundback?

Thanks!

Seth

Originally posted by bpark@prorec.com:

Bill

still a noob!

Well, I say, go for it! As long as the routing-job is well executed, and you get a second, dual-humbucker pickguard, what could be wrong? "A bird in the hand"... I believe that Warmoth may have made some bodies and/or necks for Fender before, so, ironically, you may already have a Warmoth/Fender Strat body there.

If you can hang with the job yourself, you should be able to get routing templates and other tools and supplies from Stewart-MacDonald; if you can't hang with it, just have someone qualified do it for you. You could always still put the regualr Strat pickguard back on, with three single-coils, anyways.

One of Stevie Ray Vaughan's favorite Strats- dubbed "Scotch", that had ringing, clean tones that he liked- had a large, universal "swimming-pool" route under the pickguard.

In any case, it'll probably sound good with two humbuckers; actually, for a "heavier" sound, I think you might want to stay with the 25&1/2" scale-length, it'll sound tight and crisp and punchy with humbuckers and a maple fretbaord (ask Edward VanHalen, or Dave Murray of Iron Maiden).

Or... the 24&3/4" scale-length would sound good with some P-90/"soapbar" style pickups in there, too!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

About 15 years ago I bought a used strat neck and a new strat body. I painted the body Federal Saftey Purple. I took a piece of sticky shelf paper, traced the guitar body, and drew an op art pattern on it. I took an exacto knife and cut out the pattern, being careful not to cut through the backing paper. I applied every other piece of thre op art pattern to the front of the guitar, and the other pieces to the back of the guitar, making a positive/negative pattern. I sprayed the guitar Federal Saftey Red. I pulled off the shelf paper. I had a very cool op art red and purple guitar. Then I wrapped the guitar diagonally in black electrical tape. I cut 1/8"x1/2" slits in the tape at random places. I sprayed the body with Federal Saftey Yellow. I pulled off the tape. yaow! what a cool guitar. A pair of humbuckers later, I was rocking.

Bill

Steve Martin

Originally posted by Guitarzan:

do you have a pic of that?

No, and I sure wish that I did. I'm real bad about things like pictures and stuff.

Bill

Steve Martin

Well, I bit the bullet. I called in an order for a Warmoth neck.

The specs:

Warmoth compund radius fretboard

1-3/4" nut

"6100" frets (22)

AAA birdseye maple neck and fingerboard

clear urethane finish

Earvana nut (black)

black inlay dots

"Wolfgang" back profile

local shop will fret level and install tuners

all this on a 2002 chrome blue American Strat body

next decision: pickups!

I am torn between way overwound steel poled single poles or routing for humbuckers. Considering Fralin pickups either way.

Seth

Originally posted by Caevan O'Shite:

Well, I say, go for it! As long as the routing-job is well executed, and you get a second, dual-humbucker pickguard, what could be wrong? "A bird in the hand"... I believe that Warmoth may have made some bodies and/or necks for Fender before, so, ironically, you may already have a Warmoth/Fender Strat body there.

If you can hang with the job yourself, you should be able to get routing templates and other tools and supplies from Stewart-MacDonald; if you can't hang with it, just have someone qualified do it for you. You could always still put the regualr Strat pickguard back on, with three single-coils, anyways.

One of Stevie Ray Vaughan's favorite Strats- dubbed "Scotch", that had ringing, clean tones that he liked- had a large, universal "swimming-pool" route under the pickguard.

In any case, it'll probably sound good with two humbuckers; actually, for a "heavier" sound, I think you might want to stay with the 25&1/2" scale-length, it'll sound tight and crisp and punchy with humbuckers and a maple fretbaord (ask Edward VanHalen, or Dave Murray of Iron Maiden).

Or... the 24&3/4" scale-length would sound good with some P-90/"soapbar" style pickups in there, too!

still a noob!

Archived