Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ray

NMcGuitar

I went and saw "Ray" last night (date-night with the wife :) ).

WOW! What a great movie! The story is told so well, and so compellingly, and Jamie Foxx was absolutely superb. I really liked the fact that it didn't turn him into some shining, do-no-wrong kind of hero - the film was just as honest about Ray's faults and vices as it was about his talents and virtues.

If you don't like Ray Charles (and there must be one or two out there), see this film because it is a great film. If you are one of the millions who do like Mr. Charles, see it for it's insight, it's treatment of his music, and for the sheer love of the man.

Either way, don't miss this!!!

[Okay, I'll stop now. But it really was a fantastic film. :thu: ]

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wasn't a Ray Charles fan, I did like a skit I saw him do on SNL years ago, but other than that, not a fan. Then I saw Ray and I was really blown away, what a story. There isn't a bad moment in the film. I don't know how accurate it all is but he sure went through alot. I'm sure there are many other musicians that have a story to tell, but he did it blind.

Steve

You shouldn't chase after the past or pin your hopes on the future.

I heard the CBC radio guy who reviews movies speak very highly of this film. As you mentioned it will provide those with little knowledge of the man to appreciate the scope of his artistry in all genres. There's some dramatization in the translation from life to art but the performances and shear reality of this man's life overshadow any weakness. (personally I hate plucky comic moments in any film)

They did here what they needed to do... make it a must see film for all people.

He's worthy of no less.

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

Ray was able to "see" the movie before he died. So, I bet it is an accurate portrayal of his life.

I look forward to seeing it myself.

Peace :)

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

Took my Mom to see it last week while in Dallas. Great Movie...period!

Foxx just nailed the movements, styling and even that shuffle walk! Definitely Oscar material!

TW..heard a rumor that jamie actually had his eyes "glued shut" to get into character? :thu::thu::thu:

Lynn G

Originally posted by Guitar Geezer:

Took my Mom to see it last week while in Dallas. Great Movie...period!

Foxx just nailed the movements, styling and even that shuffle walk! Definitely Oscar material!

TW..heard a rumor that jamie actually had his eyes "glued shut" to get into character? :thu::thu::thu:

Yeah. He had prosthetic pieces glues onto his eyes every day. He said it took an hour or two to do them, and then he had to leave 'em on all day, so he was essentially blind while doing the filming. That probably helped him nail the character so well, but dang that's a lot to go through for a role! :eek:

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

• 10 months later...

I dunno if Ray is *that* good a movie. Jamie Foxx was good, but was he better than:

Dennis Quaid in Great Balls of Fire

Gary Busey in The Buddy Holly Story

Angela Bassett in What's Love Got to do With It?

Gary Oldham in Sid and Nancy

Jim Carrey in Man on the Moon

Lou Diamond Phillips in La Bamba

I think the music sections were cut too short for my taste. The Ray Charles fan in me wanted to hear the whole tune. The story was pretty well known in advance, so there wasn't too much in the way of new revelations.

In some ways I think it's easier to play the part of a "real person". Most people know the "real person" exists, so it's not a stretch to accept the character. What you have to do is convince them that you are that character. I think it must be much more difficult as an actor to play an absurd part, (Edward Scissorhands, perhaps), and get the audience to buy into that character.

My tuppence.

Peace,

Paul

Peace,

Paul

----------------------

Originally posted by rockincyanblues:

I dunno if Ray is *that* good a movie. Jamie Foxx was good, but was he better than:

Gary Busey in The Buddy Holly Story

Angela Bassett in What's Love Got to do With It?

Gary Oldham in Sid and Nancy

Jim Carrey in Man on the Moon

Lou Diamond Phillips in La Bamba...

Yes.

"I dunno if Ray is *that* good a movie. Jamie Foxx was good, but was he better than:

Paul"

Uhmn, personally, I thought that movie wasn't particularly good overall, and both Dennis Quaid and Winona Ryder turned in shallow and heavy-handed waaay OVERacted performances.

The other films that you listed are all pretty good; at least, the ones I've seen (never saw The Buddy Holly Story or What's Love Got to do With It?). But I think I'd have to say that Jamie Foxx's performance did top those listed that I did see!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Forgive me guys, I'm not trying to be a troll. I seem to be one of the very few that wasn't blown over by "Ray".

What did Jamie Foxx do as an actor, that wasn't done by Rich Little or Frank Gorshin in Vegas nightclubs? What did the movie tell us about Ray what we didn't already know?

On the plus side, the movie put the music of Ray Charles back into the public consciousness, which is a good and important thing. But was Jamie Foxx's portrayal of a real person that we do know that much better than Don Cheadle's, (Hotel Rwanda), portrayal of a real person that we *don't* know?

I, for one, never lost sight of the fact I was watching Jaimie Foxx. By way example, it didn't take me long to forget that it was Robin Williams in "One Hour Photo". Maybe it's easier for me to accept a portrayal of a fictional character becasue I have no preconceived notions of who or what the character is supposed to be.

Now, on a related note.....I have tickets to see "Rain, The Beatles Experience" in Toronto in NOvember. I saw the original "Beatlemania" back in the '70's. How do you guys view these kinds of acts? Are they a tribute bar band that's made it big? Are they theatre that's heavily into music? Is the live stage protrayal of the Fab Four more or less artisically valid than a movie biography?

I'm going because I enjoy the music of The Beatles, and I'd like to be a part of the energy that "Rain..." supposedly bring to the live show. I am not expecting to forget that I'm watching 4 guys who are NOT John/Paul/George/Ringo.

Peace,

Paul

Peace,

Paul

----------------------

Supposedly, the band to see for a recreation of the Beatles music is "The Fab Faux". They are around 12 musicians ( I think) who play multiple instruments (even during the course of one song) and faithfully reproduce the Beatles' recordings. They include members from the house bands for both the David Letterman and Conan O'Brien TV shows. Unlike most Beatle tribute acts, they don't have people assigned to "be" each Beatle and don't do the dress-up thing. But, I heard them on Howard Stern and they sounded incredible.

I think there are different challnges involved in portraying a public persona as opposed to a character that the audience has no familiarity with. Don Cheadle had to basically "create" a character that would move the audience. We don't know how close he ws to the real person and it doesn't matter as long as he conveys the essence of the story. Jamie Foxx had to "mimic" the real Ray CHarles to the staisfaction of the audience, but unlike a Frank Gorshin, he had to also "act" in the context of the drama that was being presented. It doesn't make him better or worse than Cheadle, it just required a different approach. Because Foxx is musically talented, he was able to draw on that for his performance as well as his uncanny ability to mimic Ray Charles. BTW, he also does a wicked Ronald Reagan. :-)

Now, on a related note.....I have tickets to see "Rain, The Beatles Experience" in Toronto in NOvember.

"Rain" have been around for donkey's years. I assume they must be really good by now! :)

http://www.classiqueproductions.com/pages/PAGE101A.HTM

I don't know if I'd like to be in a band like that. At least with a covers band, you can throw in the occasional original... but with a tribute band?

I watched "Ray" with my wife not too long ago. I've always admired Ray Charles although I wasn't really a fan of his music.

I had thought he was blind from birth. I thought the ruse he pulled on the bigot at the bus stop (about him being a veteran blinded in battle) was a hoot.

I don't have a lot of time for entertainment reading anymore. So it was nice to able watch this and find out more about Ray Charles, the man. I take the things in the movie with a little gain of salt because of the tendency in movies to "dramatize" by adding in things that aren't true.

Born on the Bayou

I've always been a huge Ray Charles fan, and thought the film was an elegant tribute. Dunno about the historical accuracy, but it seemed an honest portrayal of an immensely talented but flawed musician, who turned his disability into an asset, and won our hearts.
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Well, as much as I liked the movie, I came away from it thinking a lot less of Ray Charles than I did going into it. Mean-spirited, demanding, selfish, two-faced, drug addicted, ego-maniacal, philandering...I didn't know he was anything like that, and I am sorry I found out he was. I wouldn't take the opportunity to work with anyone like the character I saw portrayed in that movie; I have done it in the past and it ain't worth it.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Ray Charles himself approved of the film before he died, and was likely instrumental in furnishing many of the details, which were not widely known. The flim seemed to imply to me that a lot of his issues stemmed from the drug addiction, but that's just my take on it. Everyone has their dark side, from Elvis to Axel Rose to Sinatra to Jim Morrison to Michael Jackson. People of staggering talent tend to be forgiven for their flaws by an adoring public, not that they should be, they just are.
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Archived