Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: America doesn't = U.S.A(non-political,please)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by NYC Drew: [b]...because there's no other fuckin' cunt-ry within North, Central or South America with the name "America" in it... Let me double check.. Belize. Argentina. Suriname. Chile. Peru. Venezuela. Falkland Islands. Guatemala. Ecuador. Panama. Mexico. Columbia. [i][b]Jamerica[/b]...(oops, fuck 'em - they smoke too much weed anyways)[/i] Costa Rica. Paraguay. Bolivia. Uruguay. Canada. San Francisco. French Guyana. Honduras. El Salvador. As you can clearly see, not one of these places has "America" explicitly laid out in it's name. --- Americans are a self centered (narcisstic) bunch though. --------------------- Memo to self: Quit agreeing with Neil.[/b][/quote]Wanna get weird? Mexico's "real" name is: "Mexican United States" :freak: ( Estados Unidos Mexicanos) So I guess I am an American, Mexican and... -Mexican- United Statesian too :D But who cares? Ya're all americans... I am too... but you're the "gringos". :p

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

[quote]Originally posted by Falcon: [b] Really though, I don't think the US started it. It's a European thing that will never go away.[/b] Well, part of the beauty of it is that anyone, born at any time, in any place on the face of the earth, can [i]become[/i] an American if he chooses. Try becoming a Frenchman sometime - but eeew, why would you want to? :freak: . [b]Hawaiians have the same problem when tourists say "they are going back to the states". Locals want to scream in there face "where do you think you are?" [/b] Oh, people do that stuff on the mainland, too. I work in Gulf Shores, Alabama, two blocks from the beach. Every now and then, You ask someone where they're from, and they say, "Alabama," like it's somewhere else. I always smile and say, "Son of a gun! So am I!" and pray they get it. They usually do. [b]Ask a Kansan to pronounce Arkansas and it will not be ar-kan-saw, even if the rest of the country does. etc. etc. etc.[/b][/quote]I had a friend from Virginia who made me think that Virginians look down on West Virginians the same way. He used to say, "Seceding little mountain fuckers! They're too GOOD to be part of Virginia!"

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

[quote]Originally posted by Sal O'lando: [b] [quote]Originally posted by fantasticsound: [b]For once, I agree with you, Sal. [/b][/quote]Neil, don't forget that you agreed with me on the db levels thread too. I think you're turning into a softie :D [/b][/quote]Doh! I must be losing my touch... or maybe just my mind. :D {Internal conversation follows:} (Yeah... that's better... just losing my mind... Sal and I don't see eye to eye on stuff... nah... couldn't be... {inside, gratuitious Bowfinger reference:} ...and don't show it to the Laker Girls!)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

[quote]Originally posted by Gus Lozada: [b]Wanna get weird? Mexico's "real" name is: "Mexican United States" :freak: ( Estados Unidos Mexicanos) So I guess I am an American, Mexican and... -Mexican- United Statesian too :D But who cares? Ya're all americans... I am too... but you're the "gringos". :p [/b][/quote]If memory serves me right.. at one point we used to be united states of something also.. a while ago. ahhh.. who cares. I never really thought much of the name united states of america... it's just a name.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

[quote]Originally posted by Ken/Eleven Shadows: [b]Oh, almost forgot - we don't want to leave our Central Americans out of this, either!!![/b][/quote]OK, thanks. The funny thing is that [i]the rest of America[/i] has more land, more population and more history than USA and Canada. :wave:

[quote]Originally posted by Sal O'lando: [b]Could it be a symptom of cultural myopia?[/b][/quote]No, it couldn't. It's just a fucking custom. And a matter convenience: it's a hell of a lot easier to say "American" than "United Statesian" or "Citizen of the United States of America". Yes, yes, yes, a thousand times times yes, people in all those other north, central and south american countries are Americans too. But their countries names lend themselves much more to that kind of usage. Christ, you career "America" haters can find a way to insert your hatred into the most innocent of topics.
Signatures can appear at the bottom of your posts. This option may be disabled by the message board administrators at any time, however. You may use UBB Code in your signature, but not HTML. UBB Code Images are permitted.

Woah Alan, you are making a hell of a lot out of a mere discussion of semantics. You're the one venting hostility. I didn't intend this to be an inflammatory topic, but I guess some people can't help themselves.

Want mix/tracking feedback? Checkout "The Fade"-

www.grand-designs.cc/mmforum/index.php

The soon-to-be home of the "12 Bar-Blues Project"

[quote]Originally posted by Gus Lozada: [b]But who cares? Ya're all americans... I am too... but you're the "gringos". :p [/b][/quote]LOL! That's right, Gus. :D This is probably only because I'm a native Californian, but I've never really thought of either Mexico or Canada as being "foreign" in the way that, say, Guatamala or Guyana or Germany is. I mean, they're right next door! And just exactly what would life be like without Taquerias? :confused: Or people who say "eh" a lot? :mad: That's not an America that [b]I[/b] want to live in. :mad: ;) --Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

[quote]Originally posted by AlanThomas: [b]Christ, you career "America" haters can find a way to insert your hatred into the most innocent of topics.[/b][/quote]I guess we could just be called USA-holes.

[quote]Originally posted by G(Jazzbo)T3: [b]Woah Alan, you are making a hell of a lot out of a mere discussion of semantics. You're the one venting hostility. I didn't intend this to be an inflammatory topic, but I guess some people can't help themselves.[/b][/quote]Yes, I agree. A simple discussion. However, I disagree that I was making anything more of it. On the contrary, I think that Sal's contribution of "cultural myopia" was far more inflammatory (not to mention acerbic). Nevertheless, my apologies to anyone that became inflamed at my inflammatory remarks. I certainly don't want to be thought of as causing inflammation... Let us now return to our regularly scheduled posting.
Signatures can appear at the bottom of your posts. This option may be disabled by the message board administrators at any time, however. You may use UBB Code in your signature, but not HTML. UBB Code Images are permitted.

An american friend in college told me in school they were taught that north america was a continent, central america another continent, and south america another continent. Can americans here confirm this? Is this what is taught in american schools? Not that Paraguay's schooling system is reliable (far from it, in my opinikon!) I've been taught America is one continent...made up of the 3. Actually. made up of 4 parts. The 4th part is the set of isles next to central america... which makes the world up of 6 continents... what do ppl from other countries (european, african, etc) remember learning in school? that is, if you remember at all. :p art

[quote]Originally posted by AlanThomas: [b] [quote]Originally posted by G(Jazzbo)T3: [b]Woah Alan, you are making a hell of a lot out of a mere discussion of semantics. You're the one venting hostility. I didn't intend this to be an inflammatory topic, but I guess some people can't help themselves.[/b][/quote]Yes, I agree. A simple discussion. However, I disagree that I was making anything more of it. On the contrary, I think that Sal's contribution of "cultural myopia" was far more inflammatory (not to mention acerbic). Nevertheless, my apologies to anyone that became inflamed at my inflammatory remarks. I certainly don't want to be thought of as causing inflammation... Let us now return to our regularly scheduled posting.[/b][/quote]You took my comments the wrong way man. Go back and read Neil's post, he got it.

[quote]Originally posted by Sal O'lando: [b]Go back and read Neil's post, he got it.[/b][/quote]No, I think I got it Sal. Re-reading Neil's post only served to reinforce my original thought. That you seem to think that the reason that citizens of the United States of America are commonly referred to as "Americans" is because they possess some negative quality which they have used to somehow "steal" the appelllation "American" and coerce much of the rest of the world to use it in a particular way. My contention, is that the common use of the word "American" to describe citizens of the U.S.A. is simply the result of (or desire for) lingual convenience. People tend to use the shortest possible terms when speaking and writing informally. Especially when speaking, people gravitate to phraseology that "rolls trippingly off the tongue". In my opinion, the U.S.A. has the most unwieldy name of all the countries in the America's and "American" is pretty much the best shorthand you're going to get out of "Citizen of the United States of America". Personally, I think we got the short end of stick on this one. All the rest of the countries have nice, relatively short names that are easy to use. We got stuck with the generic "no-name brand" term.

No, Sal is not saying that. It's not about why we refer to ourselves as Americans, but why we do not consider other inhabitants of the Americas american. Correct me if I misinterpreted you Sal.

[quote]Originally posted by AlanThomas: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Sal O'lando: [b]Go back and read Neil's post, he got it.[/b][/quote]No, I think I got it Sal. Re-reading Neil's post only served to reinforce my original thought. That you seem to think that the reason that citizens of the United States of America are commonly referred to as "Americans" is because they possess some negative quality which they have used to somehow "steal" the appelllation "American" and coerce much of the rest of the world to use it in a particular way. [/b][/quote]That's silly. I never said such a thing.

[quote]Originally posted by Sal O'lando: [b] [quote]Originally posted by AlanThomas: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Sal O'lando: [b]Go back and read Neil's post, he got it.[/b][/quote]No, I think I got it Sal. Re-reading Neil's post only served to reinforce my original thought. That you seem to think that the reason that citizens of the United States of America are commonly referred to as "Americans" is because they possess some negative quality which they have used to somehow "steal" the appelllation "American" and coerce much of the rest of the world to use it in a particular way. [/b][/quote]That's silly. I never said such a thing.[/b][/quote]No, it isn't "silly." And of course you never said such a thing, I wasn't trying to quote you. You [b]did[/b] say [i]"Could it be a symptom of cultural myopia?"[/i] in response to the question [i]"Why is it the U.S citizens always call the country America, and refer to themselves as Americans?"[/i] "Cultural myopia" could hardly be considered complimentary. Neils response to that, which you encouraged me to read because he [i]got it[/i] was highly critical. My original point was that regardless of how seemingly innocent the subject, "America haters" (which I believe you to be) will find a way to insert that hatred into the topic at hand. We could have been discussing why so many people call facial tissue "Kleenex" when Kleenex is a brand of facial tissue and you would find a way to attribute it to the evils of the U.S. One only has to read some of your other anti-american posts around the forum to see where you're coming from. And that's fine, you certainly have the right. But at least have the courage to admit it.

[quote]Originally posted by G(Jazzbo)T3: [b]You're the one tossing around words like "fucking".[/b][/quote]If you do a search on this forum of your member number, you'll find that you've tossed that word around a fair amount yourself.

[quote]Originally posted by AlanThomas: [b] [quote]Originally posted by G(Jazzbo)T3: [b]You're the one tossing around words like "fucking".[/b][/quote]If you do a search on this forum of your member number, you'll find that you've tossed that word around a fair amount yourself.[/b][/quote]You're right! But, I'm not going around being a hypocrite about it. You're calling people on "hatred". Look in the mirror. I am done with this discussion.

[quote]Originally posted by Sal O'lando: [b]Alan, I will be the final arbiter of what my opinions are, thank you very much. And if you think I am an America-hater, then you haven't understood my posts. I'm sorry for that.[/b][/quote]You're quite welcome. What [i]are[/i] your opinions? I'd be interested in hearing what they are but your replies so far have been fairly short brush offs. If I have mistaken you for someone that hates America (that doesn't), then my apologies, but that's certainly how some of your posts can be taken. Anyway, I'd love to continue this indefinately but I have a war to be depressed about... There are no hard feelings at this end and I certainly hope there are none on yours. I hope we can just attribute any misunderstandings to the inadequacies of on-line forum communication.

[quote] Originally quoted by surfmonkey [b]How are you supposed to pronounce Arkansas?[/quote][/b] First, I'm sorry if I am interrupting anything here guys. Second I'm sorry I did not get back to this sooner. I am preparing for a 10-day trip to LA. I guess I'm just real sorry. :D So to the question (and I’m not surprised you don’t know :) ); If you are from Kansas, it is pronounced Kans-as (cans-ass), therefore Arkansas is by Kansas definition is Ar-kans-as, not Ar-kan-saw. If you are from anywhere else in the US, it is the latter. Go figure! :confused: Me, I’m transplanted and really don’t give a hoot either way. :p [quote] Originally quoted by Jode [b] I had a friend from Virginia who made me think that Virginians look down on West Virginians the same way. He used to say, "Seceding little mountain fuckers! They're too GOOD to be part of Virginia!"[/b][/quote]I don’t think most people from Kansas go that far, but “born and bred” Kansans do tend to feel insulted by an “incorrect” pronunciation.

Q. How do you eat an elephant?

A. One bite at a time!

Uhhh...okay. I've thought about this, too. I've also thought about how a ton of people in this country, and world, don't think of Indians, Pakistanis, and most Russians as "Asians", either, though according to my globe, they are on the "Asia" continent. Oh, well. Peace
If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking 'til you do suck seed!

Damn North Dakoda folks just won't get over their war with South Dakoda... What was it called again? Oh yeah, "the tussle in the tundra!" Longest war in "American" history. They could only fight when the weather was warm enough to unthaw the troops. So that only left 17 days a year. :D guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

[quote]Originally posted by AlanThomas: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Sal O'lando: [b]Alan, I will be the final arbiter of what my opinions are, thank you very much. And if you think I am an America-hater, then you haven't understood my posts. I'm sorry for that.[/b][/quote]You're quite welcome. What [i]are[/i] your opinions? I'd be interested in hearing what they are but your replies so far have been fairly short brush offs. If I have mistaken you for someone that hates America (that doesn't), then my apologies, but that's certainly how some of your posts can be taken. Anyway, I'd love to continue this indefinately but I have a war to be depressed about... There are no hard feelings at this end and I certainly hope there are none on yours. I hope we can just attribute any misunderstandings to the inadequacies of on-line forum communication.[/b][/quote]Hi Alan, thanks for the civility :thu: No hard feelings at all. As to my opinions? Hm, I have a lot, too many to list here right now :) And believe it or not they are actually changed/modified now and then! I still think that Neil explained very well what I was getting at with my 'cultural myopia' comment. Compared to many other countries, the US is really an isolated culture, both literally and figuratively. Whether that is a bad thing or a good thing is open to debate, but I feel it is an accurate assessment. I wonder what percentage of US citizens have traveled abroad, or what percentage speak more than one language? My point was simply that I don't think it even occurs to most US citizens that the term American refers to anything other than them. I don't personally feel that I am making any kind of crazed, hateful assertion here ;) As far as US-hating? I love this country, and when I feel it is being harmed from within I feel it is my duty to speak up about it. If I hated it I would actually be happy right now.... Here's an analogy: your best friend starts shooting heroin. Do you support them unconditionally or do you try to talk some sense into them, even if it means that they resent you for it? I would go with the latter option (though I have not experienced this particular scenario in real life, thankfully). You may disagree with my opinions but please don't misconstrue my motives.

[quote]Originally posted by alner: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Ken/Eleven Shadows: [b]Oh, almost forgot - we don't want to leave our Central Americans out of this, either!!![/b][/quote]OK, thanks. The funny thing is that [i]the rest of America[/i] has more land, more population and more history than USA and Canada. :wave: [/b][/quote]Yes, definitely, although what is now the United States has a fairly long history as well because the natives who were here long before Europeans and others settled here - similar to much of the Americas in that sense. I hope to go to your beautiful country someday very soon, btw.

Archived