Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

If Gibson raises their prices, will you STILL buy new?

webe123

OK, Because of the current developments at Gibson USA with the PRS lawsuit, the quality control issues, customer care issues, dealer issues and web restrictions going on......would you buy a new Gibson instrument if the prices are raised? Or would you buy used? Or would you even buy at all? I have been wondering how all of this may affect different peoples choices in choosing a new Gibson instrument if the prices were raised on them. Lets try to keep this civil, shall we? No need to flame, just give your opinion as to weather or not all of these issues (and even others I have not thought of) will affect your purchase of a Gibson product. Alright....let the games begin.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never been a fan of buying anything new because I've always gotten such steals used. Last used guitar I got was a top-of-the-line Fender acoustic-electric. I paid 300 bucks for it used and it blew my socks off how good it sounds for something in that price range. Normally it goes for around 600 new, so I think I got a good deal.

When I've bought things new, they've always worked the exact same as the used stuff anyway. I think guitarists in general know how to take care of gear. Sometimes you run into cosmetic defects or something, but usually the sound works just fine and sounds terrific. I've found that with almost everything I've bought used.

Shut up and play.

I have never a bought a guitar new, though I did once buy a new bass (big mistake).

To me there are way too many deals to be had on used instruments.

The only music gear I seen an advantage to buying new are electronics (amps, effects, etc.) because of the warranty issue. With guitars you can reasonably check out a used instrument to determine if it is structurally and electronically sound. I can't see taking the big hit on street price for a new instrument.

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

I will only ever buy a new guitar when the excess money I make from playing covers the cost and is in some way beneficial tax wise.

I've never even thought about buying anything new because there's too much depreciation and no appreciation for my participation in this recreation.

My hands only deserve used gear anyway.

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

Originally posted by Guitars are like shoes. But louder.:

there's too much depreciation and no appreciation for my participation in this recreation.

Betcha ya can't say THAT three times fast with peanut butter in your mouth? (he!he!)

It was hard to keep my wallet in my pocket at NAMM, particularly when I was in the Gibson booth. They make a lot of very nice instruments. Probably the deciding factor for me to NOT buy a new guitar was that I already own too many guitars as it is. If I needed a new guitar, Gibson would be high on my list as a good cross between price and craftsmanship. I like their styles. I like their sound and feel.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

I think Gibson would probably serve their customers and their bottom line better if they raised their prices. IMO Gibson is and should remain a premium product, and their failings have included trying to be all things to all people. They have Epi, Kramer, Steinberger, etc., to fill the lower markets.

I sell some exremely high end audio products, and sales have boomed over the last few years in a weak overall economy (some of our more mainstream post-production products have not increased in sales during the same period). The market for high end product will always remain, especially as wealth gets more concentrated to fewer people. Gibson still probably has a generation of extreme goodwill based on decades of exposure in the hands of the great players of our time, but they could easily become second-tier if they squander that reputation.

I agree that we can get our best deals on late-model used, whether it's guitars or cars. Retaining Gibson as a high-end brand can only serve to keep the resale value of their instruments high. I bought my Goodall acoustic new, and it has appreciated, but I bought my Gibson Melody Maker and ES-340 used, and they have appreciated more!

Doug makes a good point, in that Korby gets $7300 for his mic, and sells them as fast as he can make them. That is a significant rise from what I paid for my Korby Convetible just a couple of years ago. He is not hurt by the Chinese kncokoffs, because nobody that is buying them would be a cutomer of his. Neither is TelefunkenUSA, or Neumann.

Same with mic pres.... the A Designs MP2-R, the Great River MP2-NV, and other +2,500 mic pres are selling in greater numbers than we ever imagined possible, and are not threatened by the Behringers or other cheap mic pres. Just a few years ago, a $1500 mic pre was a very high dollar product, and one over $2500 was rare. Now the majority of the high end products are around $3k, and everyone who is buying them thinks that they are worth the money.

Now, on one hand I am talking about boutique manufacturers, more in the PRS/Goodall range than in the Gibson range. But at the same time I am talking about percieved value, no matter the size of the product run. And Gibson has always been percieved as a high end guitar company. Since they have Epi to compete with the imports and low cost options, why not try to position the Gibson line as the Cadillac of guitars? I rather think that they are, when compared to any of the other big production options. I own more Fenders than Gibsons, but the Fenders do not compare in build or finish. They weren't meant to. Richenbacker? Gretsch? Not a lot of contenders with high production numbers.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

there's not that many up and comers whose endorsements matter... IMO there are tons of LP's floating around right now in bars and on videos just not many people that can really do anything inspiring with them.

However I've noticed Ibanez has become very popular with kids who are into new metal just because of the guys toting them.

I did see a good cover band at a local bar last weekend and the guitarist was awful cute :love: but I couldn't keep my eyes off of his beautiful LP Standard Light Burst.... what tone :love::love: ... is that what you mean??? :D

And that reminds me a little Public Service Announcement here... aspiring female singers... you are NOT Gwen Stefani... just let it go....

Thank you

Back to the main point.... I bought my Les Paul Special new because at $750 it was much closer to my price range than all of the decent LP standards and studios I tried at $1100 + . And at my level of inexperience I wasn't feeling too ballsy about getting something used without feeling comfortable about my ability to judge its value... with a new guit at least i could just judge the feel, playability and tone... anything else being covered under warranty. I think Gibson should remain high end... if high end products mean high end prices so be it... I'll just save a little longer for my eventual Standard. Sure it would be nice to get a top of the line Gibson for a couple hundred but its not feasible so oh well. I completely understand some people not wanting to spend that kind of money, especially knowing that you pay quite a bit on the name alone... but what can i say... love makes you do strange things :cool:

Originally posted by Darklava:

Ok I'll be the bad...take a good look at the bad

guy.I bought a new Gibson,and couldn't be

happier. :P

Over the years I have bought several new Gibsons. I bought one just two or three years ago. Though my focus is on vintage guitars, the right new guitar will always attract my attention and maybe get my money.

Maybe just because they seem to make more models than anyone else, but Gibson seems to make more models that interest me than anyone else. (I am a guitar junkie though, and almost every manufacturer makes a guitar or two that catches my eye for one reason or another...)

So lets look at this a different way. If you compared a Gibson to any other production guitar, including PRS, Dean, Moore, whatever.... and you had no history to draw upon... would you put it in the same class with the higher priced guitars,(such as PRS) or the lower priced guitars (like Washburn, etc)?

Bill

Steve Martin

I'm a huge Gibson fan as y'all know but it's kind of a moot point for me. I have never bought a guitar new and doubt I ever will. I suppose if the prices go up on their new guitars, that would eventually affect the used market as well, which would suck. But if you're a vintage nut like me you're getting used to seeing prices go through the roof anyway. :rolleyes:

I was considering buying a new Gibson guitar in 2001 and I was told by a dealer that the new prices were going to be much higher. So I played a bunch of them and ending up taking home a new Les Paul Standard. A few months later the new model came out and they had lowered the price by several hundred dollars and the new pickups and finishes were arguably better.

Moral of the story, when you hear that the price is going up or down......just give them one of these :rolleyes:

Archived